Strips for self monitoring

Sweet enough

Having been refused prescription strips for the Aviva I bought, I thought Id aproach the question of costs & strips from a different angle.

Which are the cheapest strips and for which meter. Not the cheapest meter as such but the cheapest strips.

peecee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
try ebay for strips, prices do vary but probably cheaper than buying direct or from chemists :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi SE.

The cheapest strips in the BNF Hypoguard® Supreme are £12.00 for 50 strips. That is the nett price so will obviously be subject to a 'mark up' by the Pharmacist. So check with them.

As for the meters, I have no idea how much you might have to pay, they do not appear to be available on the NHS. I also couldn't seem to find out much about them. Here is what it looks like, a bit cheap and nasty IMHO. You get what you pay for I suppose ?

http://www.arcticmedical.co.uk/html/supreme_plus.html

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
Hi Sweet Enough

this may not be the cheapest but I recently got a free meter (Freestyle Freedom Lite) by buying 100 test strip for £33 from an online pharmacy which equates to 33p per strip. This includes the VAT refund for being diabetic which you have to mention when you phone them. However there is a postal charge but this is waived if you can make up the order by another £7 to £40 or more. I didnt have any difficulty doing this as they have a large online store to rival any high street pharmacy so I just topped it up with some shampoo and stuff.

I dont think I can advertise on this forum so if you would like more info please dont hesitate to send me a private message. Or anyone else for that matter.

captainlynne

After seeing so many recommendations on here about Abbott, I rang them. They sent me a free Freestyle Lite meter, and quoted a price about half that at Boots for the strips. When I rang to request strips, they also sent me a form to sign saying I have diabetes (so they don't charge me VAT), and the strips arrived next day. Excellent service :D

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Its often stated that manufacturers make their profits from the test strips rather than the monitors, but Abbott seem to be about the only manufacturer that will sell strips direct to the public and at cost price.

Wow - a pharmaceutical company with ethics - whatever next!

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
cugila said:
Hi SE.

The cheapest strips in the BNF Hypoguard® Supreme are £12.00 for 50 strips. That is the nett price so will obviously be subject to a 'mark up' by the Pharmacist. So check with them.

As for the meters, I have no idea how much you might have to pay, they do not appear to be available on the NHS. I also couldn't seem to find out much about them. Here is what it looks like, a bit cheap and nasty IMHO. You get what you pay for I suppose ?

http://www.arcticmedical.co.uk/html/supreme_plus.html

Hi remember you can get the VAT off the price.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The pharmacies sell all brands at about the same price. I buy from the supplier. Abbott Diabetes care in my case. they give a superb service at less than half the price of Boots
Hana