Stroke like symptoms after hypo resolved

lmc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Does anyone get stroke like symptoms after their hypo has resolved and their blood sugar has gone back to normal?

I had my first one 10 years ago. I had a hypo whilst going home on my lunch break. Treated hypo which did not want to go away for some time. Decide to get bus home (I know crazy, should have gone back into work but brain not working properly). Got sick of waiting and walked home. Brain again. Realised it was very difficult to walk and off balance but persisted. Got home and started slurring words. Confused. Lasted about half an hour. Rang diabetic nurse. She went off to talk to Dr and said I must have had a mini stroke. No help or advice given. Being Friday afternoon, spent weekend worried about stroke. Went drs who told me when he worked in a & e head seen patients coming in Hours after a hypo with stroke like symptoms. Reassured me that was what it was. Saw diabetic consultants months later who denied speaking to nursevand said that my blood sugar must have gone so !is that I should not have been able to walk and talk.

Had a few similar but did not last for more than an hour at most over years. 2015 very busy at work, then had interview late afternoon. Realised my blood sugar had dropped on way out.( No idea what rubbish I might have said). Got home, really bad fatigue. Not sleeping properly at night for 11 days. Started slurring odd few words. I do this occasionally when fatigued as have rheumatology conditions well that causes extreme fatigue and sleeplessness.

Got up in morning and slurring all words and not remembering all words, losing thought processes Be confused. Went drs who signed me off work with rheumatoid condition. Lasted a week. Started getting worried and went A/E. They did not think I had a stroke.suggested getting neurological referral from you which I did. Symptoms stopped after a week. Saw neurologist weeks later. He told me I was slurring my words. I did not think I was. I made a concentrated effort to speak clearly. (When I get very tired, other people have said same thing). Neurologist did not think stroke and referred for MRI. Was normal. Sent letter where he said he was easily able to distract me from slurring ( I was trying really hard not to) and that no medical explanation and would be stress/emotional reason. I saw Rheumatologist and we both thought downtown fatigue. He gave me different pills to sleep which had worked before seeing neurologist. Very annoyed about letter but did not connect at time to hypo and too tired to complain. He did not even mention hypo in letter.

July 2017 on holiday had bad hypo on own in town. Took a long time and had to take a lot of stuff to get blood sugar back.still confusedS. at waiting for wrong bus for 20 mins. Got home eventually. Could not open gate. Sister had to let me in. Unsteady, off balance, slurring. My sister said eyes unfocused. Resolved half an hour. Very tired next day. Spent in bed.

August 2017 bad hypo in shop. Took chocolate in shop till could get outside then lucozade ( at bottom of bag). Off balance. Got home. Slurring, confused, forgetting what saying, doing. 2 and a half hours later, same. Husband Rand diabetic nurse. They spoke to me. Told husband ring 999 and go to a/e as I might have done some damage to myself and I needed monitoring. Husband parking g car. Went to desk. They could!d not understand me. Husband came in. Explained. They thought stroke, saw stroke nurse who did as well. Had CT. Ok. Stroke nurse thought he could hear mmumur on my heart. Thought problem with heart valves. Consultant agreed. 2 heart valve problems. Speech back. Stroke nurse found letter from neurology and attitude changed. He said no point investigating as had same problem before and nothing found. Discharged. Consultant confirmed 2 heart valve problems. Rang diabetic nuse. Asked what to do if get again. Told to go back to a/ e. Great, where they dismiss my symptoms due to someone I met once weeks after event who did not even mention hypo in letter.

Got home, got very confused again, problems with thought processes, slurring, balance, forgetfulness to point of doing dangerous things like taking pills out of foil packet and then leaving on low table for 5 hours where dogs could reach.
Lasted. 3 days.

Went to see gp. Scared of going out by myself. Depression flared up. Suicidal thoughts. Terrified by heart valves. Also just had paid full shoulder op and told bleeding around central vision again 20 years after laser treatment. Arthritis flaring up in hands. To signed off work low mood. A/E letter no mention of heart. I tried reading diagnosis over shoulder. Looked suspiciously like psychological motive. Go locum Tring to contact rheumatologist about echocardiogram result. ( I have 1 every year)

I rang a/e. No mention in hand written notes off heart valve problems. Think I must be going mad. Confirmed with husband that stroke nurse and consultant did actually say heart valve problems.

Very disalusioned and feel very alone. Too depressed and scared to go to work. Scared of having bad hypo at work. Very busy, stressful job. Already been told I am being referred to occupational health for being off work after bad hypos or having too many hypos at work. Think they are trying to get rid of me. I was on disability living allowance but now get nothing for pip despite having hypo impairment and severe fatigue due to rheumatoid condition. I always worked full time but had to change jobs in order to go part time due to severe fatigue. Had to drop work grade so lost thousands. Spend most of my time out of work asleep. Went to tribunal who dismissed diabetes and hypos and said I could manage as I did my own insulin and tested my own blood sugar. They got my depression medication wrong so I now have a new tribunal appeal in October but do not feel hopeful.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi

Does anyone get stroke like symptoms after their hypo has resolved and their blood sugar has gone back to normal?

I had my first one 10 years ago. I had a hypo whilst going home on my lunch break. Treated hypo which did not want to go away for some time. Decide to get bus home (I know crazy, should have gone back into work but brain not working properly). Got sick of waiting and walked home. Brain again. Realised it was very difficult to walk and off balance but persisted. Got home and started slurring words. Confused. Lasted about half an hour. Rang diabetic nurse. She went off to talk to Dr and said I must have had a mini stroke. No help or advice given. Being Friday afternoon, spent weekend worried about stroke. Went drs who told me when he worked in a & e head seen patients coming in Hours after a hypo with stroke like symptoms. Reassured me that was what it was. Saw diabetic consultants months later who denied speaking to nursevand said that my blood sugar must have gone so !is that I should not have been able to walk and talk.

Had a few similar but did not last for more than an hour at most over years. 2015 very busy at work, then had interview late afternoon. Realised my blood sugar had dropped on way out.( No idea what rubbish I might have said). Got home, really bad fatigue. Not sleeping properly at night for 11 days. Started slurring odd few words. I do this occasionally when fatigued as have rheumatology conditions well that causes extreme fatigue and sleeplessness.

Got up in morning and slurring all words and not remembering all words, losing thought processes Be confused. Went drs who signed me off work with rheumatoid condition. Lasted a week. Started getting worried and went A/E. They did not think I had a stroke.suggested getting neurological referral from you which I did. Symptoms stopped after a week. Saw neurologist weeks later. He told me I was slurring my words. I did not think I was. I made a concentrated effort to speak clearly. (When I get very tired, other people have said same thing). Neurologist did not think stroke and referred for MRI. Was normal. Sent letter where he said he was easily able to distract me from slurring ( I was trying really hard not to) and that no medical explanation and would be stress/emotional reason. I saw Rheumatologist and we both thought downtown fatigue. He gave me different pills to sleep which had worked before seeing neurologist. Very annoyed about letter but did not connect at time to hypo and too tired to complain. He did not even mention hypo in letter.

July 2017 on holiday had bad hypo on own in town. Took a long time and had to take a lot of stuff to get blood sugar back.still confusedS. at waiting for wrong bus for 20 mins. Got home eventually. Could not open gate. Sister had to let me in. Unsteady, off balance, slurring. My sister said eyes unfocused. Resolved half an hour. Very tired next day. Spent in bed.

August 2017 bad hypo in shop. Took chocolate in shop till could get outside then lucozade ( at bottom of bag). Off balance. Got home. Slurring, confused, forgetting what saying, doing. 2 and a half hours later, same. Husband Rand diabetic nurse. They spoke to me. Told husband ring 999 and go to a/e as I might have done some damage to myself and I needed monitoring. Husband parking g car. Went to desk. They could!d not understand me. Husband came in. Explained. They thought stroke, saw stroke nurse who did as well. Had CT. Ok. Stroke nurse thought he could hear mmumur on my heart. Thought problem with heart valves. Consultant agreed. 2 heart valve problems. Speech back. Stroke nurse found letter from neurology and attitude changed. He said no point investigating as had same problem before and nothing found. Discharged. Consultant confirmed 2 heart valve problems. Rang diabetic nuse. Asked what to do if get again. Told to go back to a/ e. Great, where they dismiss my symptoms due to someone I met once weeks after event who did not even mention hypo in letter.

Got home, got very confused again, problems with thought processes, slurring, balance, forgetfulness to point of doing dangerous things like taking pills out of foil packet and then leaving on low table for 5 hours where dogs could reach.
Lasted. 3 days.

Went to see gp. Scared of going out by myself. Depression flared up. Suicidal thoughts. Terrified by heart valves. Also just had paid full shoulder op and told bleeding around central vision again 20 years after laser treatment. Arthritis flaring up in hands. To signed off work low mood. A/E letter no mention of heart. I tried reading diagnosis over shoulder. Looked suspiciously like psychological motive. Go locum Tring to contact rheumatologist about echocardiogram result. ( I have 1 every year)

I rang a/e. No mention in hand written notes off heart valve problems. Think I must be going mad. Confirmed with husband that stroke nurse and consultant did actually say heart valve problems.

Very disalusioned and feel very alone. Too depressed and scared to go to work. Scared of having bad hypo at work. Very busy, stressful job. Already been told I am being referred to occupational health for being off work after bad hypos or having too many hypos at work. Think they are trying to get rid of me. I was on disability living allowance but now get nothing for pip despite having hypo impairment and severe fatigue due to rheumatoid condition. I always worked full time but had to change jobs in order to go part time due to severe fatigue. Had to drop work grade so lost thousands. Spend most of my time out of work asleep. Went to tribunal who dismissed diabetes and hypos and said I could manage as I did my own insulin and tested my own blood sugar. They got my depression medication wrong so I now have a new tribunal appeal in October but do not feel hopeful.

Have you, and your husband, talked to your GP about the heart valve diagnosis? Could you ask the GP to refer you to a Cardiologist? I'm not a medic - @TheBigNewt is really the person to ask about this
Good luck and hugs

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi

Lasted. 3 days.

Have you, and your husband, talked to your GP about the heart valve diagnosis? Could you ask the GP to refer you to a Cardiologist? I'm not a medic - @TheBigNewt is really the person to ask about this
Good luck and hugs

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi

Lasted. 3 days.

Good luck and hugs

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi

Lasted. 3 days.

Have you, and your husband, talked to your GP about the heart valve diagnosis? Could you ask the GP to refer you to a Cardiologist? I'm not a medic - @TheBigNewt is really the person to ask about this.
Good luck and hugs

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi

Lasted. 3 days.

Have you, and your husband, talked to your GP about the heart valve diagnosis? Could you ask the GP to refer you to a Cardiologist? I'm not a medic - @TheBigNewt is really the person to ask about this.
Good luck and hugs

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi

Lasted. 3 days.

Good luck and hugs

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi

Lasted. 3 days.

Good luck and hugs

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi

Lasted. 3 days.

Good luck and hugs

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi

Lasted. 3 days.

Good luck and hugs

JoCo

You are really in the thick of it. Do you have any blood pressure problems, or taking ace inhibitors ? - I was prescribed A.I. with a normal bp. Did not go well, felt very week, wobbly, severe palpitations, headaches. Also check you are getting the dose and food aligned. If you can sort out the rides, you might improve your overall situation. I used the Abbott sensor thing for a few weeks and got quite a surprise. Had to change injection times to better fit my high carb diet. I am more affected by hypo symptoms if I am generally running high glucoses (accidentally used slightly expired insulin from back of fridge). I'd recommend getting the Abbott sensor thing for a couple of weeks and see what you are running at, it is on prescription from 1st November (otherwise £97 plus delivery for 4 weeks or so). It would, I think help you if you are running sudden lows. Would certainly help you at work, and show your Occy Health you are trying to work things out. A spot BM gives you no idea of direction. But the Sensor gives a graph of going up or going down, so you can adjust and eat pre emptively. I only use it occasionally to assess where I'm at. Says "lo" a lot of the time. Not sure why though. As regards hypo symptoms, yes very similar to stroke at times, total memory loss, numbness, falling down stairs, blurred vision, banging headaches, fitting, sometimes takes a day or two to clear away properly. Stress and sleeplessness can really upset your control too. My advice is to try the Sensor, and see what is what with your control. Maybe wait until the 1st Nov and get it on prescription. BTW you can buy big packs of glucotabs on ebay which is easier to count for hypo fixing. Especially useful when you are haywire. Good luck.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Some of your symptoms sound like bell's palsy. Nothing related to strokes.
If medics have ruled out strokes then take it as cleared. They do plenty of checks.

Hypos whether true ones or false make you feel all those symptoms. Underactive thyroid too.
Any coldness when people are saying temperature is fine?
I was ill for a while before underactive thyroid diagnosis. This causes depression and low mood too. On top of hypos. It would be very very much like you describe.
Call gp practice tomorrow and ask for last blood test results and whether thyroid was checked and if totally fine. If close result make an apoointment to see your gp for possible low dose levothyroxine.
All the above can be autoimmune related. As your type1 diabetes.
You are right to wonder what's going on. See a different gp at your practice for a fresh look at it?
Let your gp tell you what could be happening. Don't prompt gp.
Pls get thyroid checked thou asap, if wasn't included in bloodtests.
Pls let me know how you get on. Neither wonder your worrying. You just want to know what's going on.
Hypos are very upetting and emotional. See your dn for a refresher and let her know by meter how many hypos and symptoms even when not in 4s.
I'm confident this can be explained and resolved. You shouldnt be having to suffer this in the dark!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi

Lasted. 3 days.

Good luck and hugs

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi

Lasted. 3 days.

Good luck and hugs

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi

Lasted. 3 days.

Good luck and hugs

lmc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck and hugs
Yes, I have seen a locum gp. He was going to contact my Rheumatologist to get a copy of my last echocardiogram and asked me to see him on Monday but he is not there until October. The A/E Dr is a locum too

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I seem to have posted multiples of the same reply. Sorry, the app on my phone froze and every time I tried to move it the reply was reposted. Not sure how that happened but will now use iPad!

lmc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are really in the thick of it. Do you have any blood pressure problems, or taking ace inhibitors ? - I was prescribed A.I. with a normal bp. Did not go well, felt very week, wobbly, severe palpitations, headaches. Also check you are getting the dose and food aligned. If you can sort out the rides, you might improve your overall situation. I used the Abbott sensor thing for a few weeks and got quite a surprise. Had to change injection times to better fit my high carb diet. I am more affected by hypo symptoms if I am generally running high glucoses (accidentally used slightly expired insulin from back of fridge). I'd recommend getting the Abbott sensor thing for a couple of weeks and see what you are running at, it is on prescription from 1st November (otherwise £97 plus delivery for 4 weeks or so). It would, I think help you if you are running sudden lows. Would certainly help you at work, and show your Occy Health you are trying to work things out. A spot BM gives you no idea of direction. But the Sensor gives a graph of going up or going down, so you can adjust and eat pre emptively. I only use it occasionally to assess where I'm at. Says "lo" a lot of the time. Not sure why though. As regards hypo symptoms, yes very similar to stroke at times, total memory loss, numbness, falling down stairs, blurred vision, banging headaches, fitting, sometimes takes a day or two to clear away properly. Stress and sleeplessness can really upset your control too. My advice is to try the Sensor, and see what is what with your control. Maybe wait until the 1st Nov and get it on prescription. BTW you can buy big packs of glucotabs on ebay which is easier to count for hypo fixing. Especially useful when you are haywire. Good luck.
Yes, I am on ace inhibitors. The sensor sounds interesting. It definitely drops low suddenly. Can test before I go out and fine, then sudden low

lmc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some of your symptoms sound like bell's palsy. Nothing related to strokes.
If medics have ruled out strokes then take it as cleared. They do plenty of checks.

Hypos whether true ones or false make you feel all those symptoms. Underactive thyroid too.
Any coldness when people are saying temperature is fine?
I was ill for a while before underactive thyroid diagnosis. This causes depression and low mood too. On top of hypos. It would be very very much like you describe.
Call gp practice tomorrow and ask for last blood test results and whether thyroid was checked and if totally fine. If close result make an apoointment to see your gp for possible low dose levothyroxine.
All the above can be autoimmune related. As your type1 diabetes.
You are right to wonder what's going on. See a different gp at your practice for a fresh look at it?
Let your gp tell you what could be happening. Don't prompt gp.
Pls get thyroid checked thou asap, if wasn't included in bloodtests.
Pls let me know how you get on. Neither wonder your worrying. You just want to know what's going on.
Hypos are very upetting and emotional. See your dn for a refresher and let her know by meter how many hypos and symptoms even when not in 4s.
I'm confident this can be explained and resolved. You shouldnt be having to suffer this in the dark!
Yes, had thyroid checked last month

lmc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I seem to have posted multiples of the same reply. Sorry, the app on my phone froze and every time I tried to move it the reply was reposted. Not sure how that happened but will now use iPad!
Thanks for posting