structuring insulin pump forum -suggestions

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello All

I notice when looking at the posts in the pump forum well raised questions and answers arranged as a tangle of spaghetti, one subject next to different one.
I wonder if it'd be easier if there was a structure.
As a starter for 10, inputs welcome, it could be something like:

Key
+ and -s indicative advantages and disadvantages

Pumpers

New Users
+Potential NUs:

+ and -s of pumps alone over MDI

Managing sugars with a pump - similarities and differences from MDI

Pump Choices
Considerations in choosing a Pump** (see related **)

+ and -s of pumps with cgm over pumps alone

Cgm access rationing
A review of user's justifications in trying to gain a cgm, successful and unsuccessful

Open loop and closed
What does it mean

Open loop systems
Commercial
- system choices
+ and - s**

DiY
- system choices
+ and -s**

Closed loop systems
- commercial
- system choices
- + and -s for different systems**

-diy
- reason for diying
- diy system choices
- diy how to for each system
- users experience and rating out 10 for system
Accessing parts, setup costs, running costs, understanding use and optimal choice of different software and hardware options, readouts, alerts, durability, evolvability, rating overall

I might try and draw this into a diagram to help aid intuition. I like diagrams :) or maybe a yes/ no decision tree.

This area is really quite complex. I wonder if anyone with an interest in pumps would like to have a skype or whatsapp exchange of ideas if DIAB UK would implement the structure, otherwise we could set it up on face book or something. i have a feeling some of these things might be on FB already.
However if there a big pointer to it on diab uk or the forum, i missed it. Isnt that the point.

Last edited:

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I don't think it is needed. If there was a high enough volume of posts, then some categorization might be useful, but there isn't. If you are interested in a particular topic, then the search facility is there. My tablet is fairly slow to load, so I definitely don't want another layer or interstitial page to go through to get to the actual posts.

ETA there are a few sites that go into diy looping in huge detail if you wander around the web with google

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I don’t think we have a large enough audience for that categorisation. I know with NHS, or some hospitals, they don’t approve of DIY looping and funding for CGM systems is quite narrow. There aren’t that many of us on the closed loop system :( Pump choices vary across England and Wales, so it depends on CCG. We can talk about different pumps but it may not mean that person is going to get their choice. Unless they fight for their choice with their diabetes team. I feel Facebook groups cover most of it, the Americans have a larger audience with both closed loop and CGM usage.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We can talk about different pumps but it may not mean that person is going to get their choice. Unless they fight for their choice with their diabetes team.

That's happened to me - my hospital only offers one pump,. unless you have a very good reason why you need one with sensors, at which point you get a specific different one, but still no choice - ps. no I still haven't got mine (was supposed to get just before lockdown but due to some incompetance it didn't get there in time)