Struggling accepting your diabetes?

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
OMG! I'm sorry guys.....I sometimes write or say what I think before thinking about it. If I do it again, you have my consent to slap my wrist.... :)

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's OK, Robcz. They are your feelings. If it helps, I got my diabetes at 5, too. I started to accept it in my twenties, and thoroughly accepted it in my thirties. Now I am in my fifties and I view it as one of my best life experiences. It has had so many psychological and emotional benefits at this point that I am kind of glad I have it. And I am hoping to get my eighty-year-medal! Really, you eventually get to grips with it, and life is great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Thanks Ruth for the reply xxx.....But wow! Your outlook on your life with the big ''D'' is something, I thought, I would never hear. You are a survivor, a roll model for young diabetics, and a well respected optimist; which I admire.

Although I don't want to reach the ripe old age of 80, not even 70....maybe 60 as I quoted......However, there is one thing I am thankful for diabetes.
I was in a rock band from the age of 16 to 22 where drink and drugs were a regular play time activity......Diabetes told me that I can not take these drugs due to not knowing if I was high (Drugs I mean), or my sugar was low, so i didn't take them; however, I drank to excess...every day!....Not big, and not cleaver I know....But I believe it saved me, in a strange way......

One of my band members is still addicted to drugs and drink, and the others I don't know about now.....

My point is.....I understand what you mean when you say ''I am glad I have it''...... But at the same time....I find it strange to say that :)

But! We are here, we are happy, and....I don't know what to say now.....OH! I want everyone to know that people like myself and Ruth have come a long way.....and it's not the end!!!!!!!!....we are the proof!! Look after yourselves xxxxx

bridkid_74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. Ive have been reading the blogs for awhile now but first time ive put anything, Anyway ive bin type 1 for 39yrs now since diagnosis at 2. Through out the years i have had times of denial and poor management resulting in neuropathy and retinopathy ( thankfully these were my wakeup calls) I feel i now accept that this is my and life goes on .A lthough did have a wobble a couple of months ago when i got so flipping frustrated with it all cos i was doing as i was suppose to but my diabetes had its own agenda ! I was dreading my last hba1c but it turned out to be my best ever! But at the cost of increased hypos so consequently im now waiting to go on the pump. Im excited and daunted all at the same time its gonna be so weird not to be injecting again. Its nice toknow that how i feel about diabetes in general is felt by majority of diabetics it can be quite isolating cos no one else understands other than another diabetic although people try too. Xx

Reactions: 2 people

Matt J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As others have said for me it was just a case of getting on with it. It's a part of my life and always there but I try to not let it run (or ruin) it. I had just turned 18 when diagnosed and tried to find out as much as I could about it. There were lots of negatives - you won't live past 60, you'll lose a foot/leg, you'll lose your sight, kidney damage, impotence etc. All the things you can't do, careers you were unable to go for. Great - this was going to be a barrel of laughs. Going to the clinic at that time was depressing - a long wait with the waiting room full of mainly old fat people, some in wheelchairs missing legs or blind.

I didn't know any other type 1's and this was long before the internet. Any information was from books, Balance or the clinic. It was a case of manage it because you're on your own. I was in the middle of my A levels and would soon be off to Uni - lots of new challenges, opportunities and experiences to contend with, diabetes just became one of them - part of me but not the whole of me.

Reactions: 2 people

NowClosed11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Struggling accepting D
Hell yes
But I have a cunning plan
Ignor the sod till I fall over
Start of 4th month since told
And am I doing well