Struggling and need snack ideas.

lrostron

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nuts, cheese, tea and coffee
I am really struggling in getting back into low carb high fat diet. I have a massive sweet tooth but my last Hba1c was 80!!!!! So I really need to get this down, it was 39 in Sept. Unfortunately one of my best friends died in November and I've been really struggling since. I have always been a snacker, one thing I need to try and cut down. I will happily cook but looking for ideas for snacks, I don't like nuts or cheese. I am sick to death of eggs too.

Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pre cook a large batch of bacon and have it cold from the fridge? Pork scratchings?

Edit to add up the fat content in your meals so you don't feel the need to snack should have been my first point I guess..

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Chicken wings, Pork Scratchings, 97% meat Sausages. Blackberries, Strawberries, Raspberries..in moderation.

Reactions: lrostron
M

Member496333

Snacking won’t do you any favours, no matter what you eat. I realise this isn’t what you want to hear, but it’s really deleterious to improving insulin sensitivity. A far better strategy is to eat properly at each meal. Once over the adaptation period, if you’re still wanting snacks, then the meals need a rethink :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am really struggling in getting back into low carb high fat diet. I have a massive sweet tooth but my last Hba1c was 80!!!!! So I really need to get this down, it was 39 in Sept. Unfortunately one of my best friends died in November and I've been really struggling since. I have always been a snacker, one thing I need to try and cut down. I will happily cook but looking for ideas for snacks, I don't like nuts or cheese. I am sick to death of eggs too.

Thanks
You might want to google keto fat bombs, for snacks. But yeah, cold cuts, chicken wings, pork scratchings, a couple of berries... Maybe even try bulletprood coffee in lieu of snacks, as that tends to fill one quite nicely too. (Coffee with butter and coconut oil. Doesn't sound like it, but tastes amazing.). Naturally, not snacking would be better, but I can't keep my hands off my salty almonds either, so who am I to preach?

I'm sorry about your friend... Loss and grief make sticking to what is good for us that much harder. Be gentle with yourself, and hang in there.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Try a polish deli for ideas.

A lot of polish food is based around fat (suet) and protein. The sausages for example are often listed with 0.1 or 'trace' as a carb figure and can be 80 to 90% meat.

They are delicious too. Very hard to put down.

lrostron

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pre cook a large batch of bacon and have it cold from the fridge? Pork scratchings?

Edit to add up the fat content in your meals so you don't feel the need to snack should have been my first point I guess..
Thank you, I don't like pork scratchings but I like the idea of the bacon

Reactions: jpscloud

lrostron

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Snacking won’t do you any favours, no matter what you eat. I realise this isn’t what you want to hear, but it’s really deleterious to improving insulin sensitivity. A far better strategy is to eat properly at each meal. Once over the adaptation period, if you’re still wanting snacks, then the meals need a rethink :)
Thank you, I know snacks should be out and half the time if I'm being honest is down to boredom and habit. I'm trying to include more fat into my diet but because I'm quite fussy I'm struggling

lrostron

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You might want to google keto fat bombs, for snacks. But yeah, cold cuts, chicken wings, pork scratchings, a couple of berries... Maybe even try bulletprood coffee in lieu of snacks, as that tends to fill one quite nicely too. (Coffee with butter and coconut oil. Doesn't sound like it, but tastes amazing.). Naturally, not snacking would be better, but I can't keep my hands off my salty almonds either, so who am I to preach?

I'm sorry about your friend... Loss and grief make sticking to what is good for us that much harder. Be gentle with yourself, and hang in there.
Thank you, I've been looking at the fat bombs wondering whether to try them or not. I think I might. Coffee is a big no no for me too unfortunately (I wish I wasn't as fussy).

Thank you for your kind words, it certainly does make things a lot harder and I know I'll get there, it's just hard in the meantime

lrostron

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Try a polish deli for ideas.

A lot of polish food is based around fat (suet) and protein. The sausages for example are often listed with 0.1 or 'trace' as a carb figure and can be 80 to 90% meat.

They are delicious too. Very hard to put down.
What a great idea thank you. There's one in my local town so I'll go and have a look. Although if they are that good I may struggle to refrain from eating the whole lot :)

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I know it's not strictly a snack but coffee with cream feels like a real treat to me - if you like it maybe it could help reduce snacking?

Oops, I didn't see the part about coffee! My apologies.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks
Nuts and cheese is exactly what I have been snacking on.

lrostron

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi I know it's not strictly a snack but coffee with cream feels like a real treat to me - if you like it maybe it could help reduce snacking?

Oops, I didn't see the part about coffee! My apologies.
Thanks anyway, appreciate it

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, I've been looking at the fat bombs wondering whether to try them or not. I think I might. Coffee is a big no no for me too unfortunately (I wish I wasn't as fussy).

Thank you for your kind words, it certainly does make things a lot harder and I know I'll get there, it's just hard in the meantime
I rather enjoyed fat bombs with chocolate in... Just threw some stuff together and hoped for the best though. ;) But there's all sorts, and a thousand different recepies online. Plus, they can usually be kept in the freezer, so can be made in whopping batches. (Great treat for the summer too, straight from the freezer!). Too bad about the coffee though. But hey, you're not fussy. My husband can't drink coffee because he's lacking an enzyme in his saliva, making it extremely bitter to him. For me, beets -which are high carb anyway, so good riddance- taste like potted plant's earth and koreander tastes like soap. Seems like that's a genetic thing, not everyone has that, I discovered last year. Plus, there's migraine and rheumatism triggers to keep an eye out for, so my diet was relatively limited to begin with. Other people can't abide certain textures or smells in their foods. If there's other issues, or just a plain dislike, well... You're certainly not alone there! Don't for a moment think you're being fussy or difficult, because you're not. You're just human, and we're not one-size-fits-all. :)

M

Member496333

Actually now I come to think of it, coffee with double cream is about my only vice that could be considered a snack if drank in excess. I’m currently trying to stick to x3 and filling in the gaps with herbal teas.

Left to my own devices I could easily knock back ten cups of coffee a day! It’s lush :hungry::hungry::hungry:

Reactions: Speedbird

lrostron

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I rather enjoyed fat bombs with chocolate in... Just threw some stuff together and hoped for the best though. ;) But there's all sorts, and a thousand different recepies online. Plus, they can usually be kept in the freezer, so can be made in whopping batches. (Great treat for the summer too, straight from the freezer!). Too bad about the coffee though. But hey, you're not fussy. My husband can't drink coffee because he's lacking an enzyme in his saliva, making it extremely bitter to him. For me, beets -which are high carb anyway, so good riddance- taste like potted plant's earth and koreander tastes like soap. Seems like that's a genetic thing, not everyone has that, I discovered last year. Plus, there's migraine and rheumatism triggers to keep an eye out for, so my diet was relatively limited to begin with. Other people can't abide certain textures or smells in their foods. If there's other issues, or just a plain dislike, well... You're certainly not alone there! Don't for a moment think you're being fussy or difficult, because you're not. You're just human, and we're not one-size-fits-all. :)
Thank you that made me smile, it's often common foods that I don't like. I don't even like the smell of coffee and when I was pregnant the smell used to make me sick. Indeed we are all different and life would be boring otherwise. Is beets beetroot?? If so, I'll be gutted I love beetroot

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you that made me smile, it's often common foods that I don't like. I don't even like the smell of coffee and when I was pregnant the smell used to make me sick. Indeed we are all different and life would be boring otherwise. Is beets beetroot?? If so, I'll be gutted I love beetroot
Yeah, the red horrid terrors. (7 grams of carbs per 100 grams, so still doable. Just a good excuse for me to skip them, with the 20 grams max per day I'm on. )Sorry, I get some things wrong sometimes. Being Dutch and all. I never understood why mum loved them so much, but as it turns out the taste is very different for her. And you, it seems!