Type 2 Struggling - any advice welcome

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I have Asperger Syndrome which is an autism spectrum condition and a full diagnosis of Adult ADHD which are characterised by impairments in social communication, social interaction and social imagination. I also have a rigid and somewhat unpredictable routine. I also experience obsessive rituals, some a bit overwhelming. But I have a talent in articulate creative writing skills and possess a photographic rote memory. I have sensory sensitivity and get upset by loud noises, bright colours or lights, and notice the texture and consistency of certain foods more making my dietary choices extremely limited or restricted to certain food components. I dislike conflict and lies. The Adult ADHD also makes me very moody and cross.
Hi,

I'm a type 2 47-year-old person with Asperger Syndrome and Psychotic Depression with Personality Disorder NOS thrown in. I struggle with my diabetes and find it very difficult to look after my health. I have a very inactive lifestyle indeed but I'd like to have the motivation to do more with my life. I have a PA who comes to my flat to prompt and motivate me. I used to smoke roll-ups but am now 5 days quit and am on a smoking cessation programme from NHS smoke-free.

Please help. I would welcome any advice.

John Baker
Sufferer of Asperger Syndrome, psychotic depression and personality disorder NOS.

Reactions: leslie10152

echristy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

I'm a type 2 47-year-old person with Asperger Syndrome and Psychotic Depression with Personality Disorder NOS thrown in. I struggle with my diabetes and find it very difficult to look after my health. I have a very inactive lifestyle indeed but I'd like to have the motivation to do more with my life. I have a PA who comes to my flat to prompt and motivate me. I used to smoke roll-ups but am now 5 days quit and am on a smoking cessation programme from NHS smoke-free.

Please help. I would welcome any advice.

John Baker
Sufferer of Asperger Syndrome, psychotic depression and personality disorder NOS.
Hi John, I am Emma 44, Aspie too but not diabetic. I support my husband in managing his type 2 so I know a little bit about both being an aspie and type 2.
Giving up smoking is a big deal and a really positive step. You are a very complex individual so whatever solutions are for you will be very individual...
Getting out and getting active can be such a massive challenge for us Aspies - do you have contact with your local National Autistic Society - often meeting other aspies in your area can help you appreciate how amazing being an aspie is and gives you a reason to get out. Do you find patterns and record keeping satisfies your obsessions - I do, so I keep a written record of meals eaten, blood glucose levels and meds which we then use to support managing my husband's blood glucose. The aim is to cease all meds.
With Aspergers, I too found it rather easy to be inactive and stagnant. I have been (and Continue) a growth process where I am finding ways of supporting my physical and mental health through diet, activity and indulging my Aspie interests. Basically I see things this way; If you are an Aspie that's what you are and so you may as well enjoy being an amazing Aspie. Things like psychosis and depression are things that may well be eased with diet, activity and self management and the type 2 can definitely be reversed with diet and activity. In fact the diet and activity which will help reverse type 2 may well be supportive of your other brain differences. Personally, I have found the high fat low carb diet has helped me to better manage my mental health too. I have had depression for many years and have problems with anxiety, panic attacks and obsessive behaviour - all are just a bit easier to manage with a healthier diet and more activity.
Please call the National Autistic Society to find out if there are local groups who may help you.
Also please post back so I might support you to manage better. Aspies have a tough enough time already - we need to stick together.
Blessings Emma

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @autisticwonder1970. Well done on giving up smoking, that's a great achievement! I cope with depression, I have been diagnosed as having cyclothymia, a sort of less extreme form of bipolar disorder. I haven't been diagnosed as having Apergers, but people who know me say I might be on the autistic spectrum.
I know it's difficult to motivate yourself to do anything when you are coping with depression. I find it an effort just to get out of bed when I'm in depression. I'm staying on antidepressants permanently now as they seem to work for me.
My advice would be to get out for a walk. Even if it is short. I found it lifted my spirits to get out and walk around my local park.
It's good to see some greenery and get some fresh air. Even better if the sun is shining as sunshine stimulates your brain to produce melatonin - a 'feel good' chemical. If the sun is shining I can just sit on a park bench and it raises my spirits. Even if it's freezing I wrap up and can sit there for a while.
Exercise also stimulates your body to produce 'feel good' endorphins. It was difficult for me to motivate myself at first, and couldn't even manage one circuit of the park. But over time I increased my fitness and now walk anything from 10-30,000 steps a day.

Getting out and exercise not only helps to cope with depression, but will help with fighting T2 diabetes too. The Low Carbohydrate High Fat approach to eating should also help with the T2 diabetes, and should also lead to weight loss which will make you feel psychologically better.
Take care of yourself.