ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Since around mid December I have been struggling, more so the past 3 weeks.
Morning levels are now between 9 and 10.5. I know that's not classed as very high but it's still creeping up.
I am eating all the wrong things and have put on 8lb in 2 weeks.
My bipolar is so unpredictable at the moment and to be honest, this is re worst I have ever felt.
This I feel has impacted on my diabetes which is why I posted in here.
It's so hard to get an appointment with gp or DN which is why I managed to get an appointment with my psych on Wednesday. My sleep was bad before but now it's worse then ever.
I do think it's more to do with my bipolar which I feel is having a big effect on my diabetes

cristis

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just like you (also drinking heavily), and nothing changed until I made some huge important changes in my mind. I asked myself if I truly want to go down this way (and the path looked short) or if I still have some good milage in my life.

Once I decided for the second options, I started to cleanup myself and so far it's looking good. Since Jan 3rd I put no alcohol, sugar or high carbs in my mouth. And I have no cravings. My BP got normal immediately after I switched to low carbs. For the past week I switched to a Keto diet, with less than 20g carbs a day. And this is working too...

Try to find that powerful moment for yourself and don't give up. Change could be just around the corner when you least expect it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Since around mid December I have been struggling, more so the past 3 weeks.
Morning levels are now between 9 and 10.5. I know that's not classed as very high but it's still creeping up.
I am eating all the wrong things and have put on 8lb in 2 weeks.
My bipolar is so unpredictable at the moment and to be honest, this is re worst I have ever felt.
This I feel has impacted on my diabetes which is why I posted in here.
It's so hard to get an appointment with gp or DN which is why I managed to get an appointment with my psych on Wednesday. My sleep was bad before but now it's worse then ever.
I do think it's more to do with my bipolar which I feel is having a big effect on my diabetes
For me its less exercise in this dam awful weather hun. Mine aren't as good either at mo.
I'm fighting with my fbgs as my routine before bed is different. Insulin therapy doesn't fix this problem but you may need more medical support at the moment. See GP when there is an appointment free hun.
Remember be assertive with him/her. They are human and may even have diabetes too.
Because of less walking I'm needing more insulin which.......adds more weight. I'm taking heart as everyone adds weight Dec/Jan as routine has changed.
I'm like you it takes me ages to pick up my momentum with diet and walking in these dark, miserable and long nights.
Double check with GP your vit d is still OK hun.

I've nearly got a tight hold of increasing bgs as the day progresses. Are you testing more too? You did get free test strips right?

Reactions: ziggy_w

Happyhomelands

I agree with Cristis, find the strength to get support. My way in was the practice nurse, when I talked to her about bg and symptoms she arranged further testing and has got me a much quicker gp appointment than I expected via the receptionist. I recognise your observations about stress and bg. From what I have read your levels are high and do need to be addressed. Your mood and lack of sleep will make it hard to keep a decent bg, so do get help. Your gp or nurse will support you and you will get your levels back. Good luck xxxx

Reactions: BrianTheElder

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sending gentle hugs. You have done the right thing by making an appointment to see your psych, it's just a pity that it is so hard to see a doctor theses days. I do hope this dark time passes very soon for you, hun.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sending you a big hug, hopefully something good will come out of your appointment with your psych on Wednesday. I thought it was hard to get an appointment with a Dr in NZ but it sounds like it's an absolute nightmare in the UK. I was on a similar roller coaster with my eating, bgs and depression and it took me 18 months to get control over it. With any luck your appointment will get the ball rolling and fingers crossed they can at least try to help with the sleeping and bi polar.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @ally1
Hope the psych helps. Perhaps they can chivvy diabetes people up too.
If you can get the bipolar a bit more level then diabetes numbers should follow. Hugs and kind thoughts.

Reactions: ally1

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
For me its less exercise in this dam awful weather hun. Mine aren't as good either at mo.
I'm fighting with my fbgs as my routine before bed is different. Insulin therapy doesn't fix this problem but you may need more medical support at the moment. See GP when there is an appointment free hun.
Remember be assertive with him/her. They are human and may even have diabetes too.
Because of less walking I'm needing more insulin which.......adds more weight. I'm taking heart as everyone adds weight Dec/Jan as routine has changed.
I'm like you it takes me ages to pick up my momentum with diet and walking in these dark, miserable and long nights.

I've nearly got a tight hold of increasing bgs as the day progresses. Are you testing more too? You did get free test strips right?
I Don, t get free testing strips and have plenty.
To be honest, I am only doing my first one when I get up because I am on a self destruct and know my levels are high. If I test and see how high they are, then that will make me worse.
I do see my psych on Wednesday and do feel my bipolar is not controlled at the moment. So I will see how that appointment goes, then if necessary try and get to see my gp

Reactions: Freema

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I agree with Cristis, find the strength to get support. My way in was the practice nurse, when I talked to her about bg and symptoms she arranged further testing and has got me a much quicker gp appointment than I expected via the receptionist. I recognise your observations about stress and bg. From what I have read your levels are high and do need to be addressed. Your mood and lack of sleep will make it hard to keep a decent bg, so do get help. Your gp or nurse will support you and you will get your levels back. Good luck xxxx
Thank you

Reactions: Happyhomelands

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver

I was testing for awhile and levels were higher so then stopped testing

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Sending gentle hugs. You have done the right thing by making an appointment to see your psych, it's just a pity that it is so hard to see a doctor theses days. I do hope this dark time passes very soon for you, hun.
Thank you

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Sending you a big hug, hopefully something good will come out of your appointment with your psych on Wednesday. I thought it was hard to get an appointment with a Dr in NZ but it sounds like it's an absolute nightmare in the UK. I was on a similar roller coaster with my eating, bgs and depression and it took me 18 months to get control over it. With any luck your appointment will get the ball rolling and fingers crossed they can at least try to help with the sleeping and bi polar.
Thank you

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Hi @ally1
Hope the psych helps. Perhaps they can chivvy diabetes people up too.
If you can get the bipolar a bit more level then diabetes numbers should follow. Hugs and kind thoughts.
Thank you.
In the past, my psych has often written to my gp about having 3 months blood tests instead of the yearly one I have at the moment. He feels for me a yearly test, my diabetes can get so bad without and then could result in other things going wrong. Guess what, my gp has done ****** all x

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Like I mentioned, I am seeing my psych on Wednesday.
I have just called my surgery, I gave a brief chat on what's wrong and said I felt I needed some sort of help either with my gp or a dn. Gp would have been prefer but you only get 10 minutes which I feel won,t be long enough. Then also have to call on the day for an appointment, most times when I do get through, all appts have gone. I insisted to see the DN. After alot of smallish arguing, got an appt with a dn on the 7th February.
Depending what the psych says on this Wednesday, and if the DN in, t required then that appt can easily be cancelled.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I Don, t get free testing strips and have plenty.
To be honest, I am only doing my first one when I get up because I am on a self destruct and know my levels are high. If I test and see how high they are, then that will make me worse.
I do see my psych on Wednesday and do feel my bipolar is not controlled at the moment. So I will see how that appointment goes, then if necessary try and get to see my gp
Please do let us know how you get on on Wednesday, if you feel you can post. Sending a hug, along with the others.

Reactions: ickihun

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
I really feel for you right now, I am struggling to control sugar levels, so I am there with you, not really managed to get back on track since Christmas.
I am considering purchasing a Dawn Simulator Alarm Clock, I always suffer some depression when we get less day light - so I am hoping this might help, will have to be after payday as no money right now.
The testing sometimes just confirms what you know already and makes you feel worse which compounds the situation.
I am sorry not to have any suggestions on how to get out of the situation but wanted you to know you are by no means on your own and it helps me to know I am not the only one - I would say it is more about the time of year and lack of daylight that is having an adverse impact.
Roll on the brighter days.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sending hugs @ally1 . My aunt had bipolar and I know how badly it can affect you. Also the after Xmas and new year period can make it worse. Hope your psyche can help on Wednesday.
Just a thought. I'm no therapist but this has helped me get through a dreadful year..... I bought a nice notebook and every day being completely honest with myself, wrote down how I felt.. It seems to help to get it off your mind and on to paper... for my eyes only ;)
Ok, for example, you're about to eat that cream cake .. write how it makes you feel and why you want to do it. no recriminations, nobody else sees this. Hopefully it will give you an insight and help a little x