Struggling to control levels

dizzyrj

I have been diagnosed as type 1for about 3 years, Since I was diagnosed I have been able to control it.
I am on basal/bolus using levemir & Novorapid
Levemir about 40 units split 12 hourly
Novorapid ratio 1:10 (nice & easy)

Over the last 6 months I have managed to put on 3-4 stone due to so many hypos & hypers and in A&E 4 times due to passing out from them. Then getting nurses saying "I should look after myself better"

I work as a ward clerk in maternity my work can be rushing around like mad, then suddenly calm so if I have injected I could easily get get a sudden onset of a hypo due to running around but then if there is nothing to do except sit at the desk and just tidy up the notes and get ready to take them upstairs to be filed my blood sugars can stay normal. But as its now this time of year its going to be mostly running around and will be until around Easter time, I cant see any improvement.

I need some help as my crazy blood sugars are affecting me, quality of life, work and self confidence I am still waiting on the diabetics team to get back to me with an appointment as I asked my GP to refer me since I had been discharged as I was getting on well.
My line manager is a type 2 diabetic and she suggested talking to them about getting a insulin pump.
Could this be a solution? ive head of them but I do not know much about them

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hiya,
it sounds to me as if you have far to much basal insulin. Have you thought about reducing the levemir gradually so it cuts down on your hypos?
Try ordering the books using insulin and think like a pancreas, they will help you no end to understand what you are doing.
A pump wont help you if you can't work out basic things like reducing insulin if having lows like that, or increasing carbs if unexpected exercise/work load.
The pump only does what you tell it.
Hope you get sorted soon.

AMBrennan

sounds to me as if you have far to much basal insulin.
I'm not seeing that at all - he does say that BG remains normal as long as he doesn't have to go running around. The question is how to to cope with a job that, effectively, involves lots of unplanned exercise.

I'm not an expert, but I can't see a pump helping much - onset of the insulin it delivers is still 30min, so even if you stop insulin delivery entirely it's not going to have any effect for the next 30min.

What I'd do is keep a small bottle of Lucozade at your desk (or similar sugary drink, you'll have to work out an appropriate amount) and drink that when you have to go running around.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
But as its now this time of year its going to be mostly running around and will be until around Easter time, I cant see any improvement.
I'm not seeing that at all - he does say that BG remains normal as long as he doesn't have to go running around. The question is how to to cope with a job that, effectively, involves lots of unplanned exercise.

That was what I was replying too :)