Struggling to find the motivation to look after myself.

JamesCType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say thank you for all the kind words and advice.

Everyone's advice was pretty consistent and although it's obviously not as easy as just flicking a switch, it has given me a lot of ideas of how to start at least.

I think I have found a way to just about manage my rent this month, even if it's not ideal, which is a real load off my mind and should allow me to concentrate on more important things.

I dusted off my blood sugar monitor today, turns out I still have a couple of boxes of testing strips that are still in date, just need to get a new battery, then from now on I'm going to keep it in my bag and take it to work with me and eventually get a spare to keep at home.

Regarding my drug use; i'm not going to try to cut it out cold-turkey as I don't think that is at all realistic, although being skint makes that more of a reality. I don't plan to look in to professional help just yet as I don't feel i'm at a stage where that is necessary, although I appreciate that is exactly what someone who is addicted would say.

Thank you again for anyone that read/commented, thank you for caring.

James.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Include alcohol in your drug use! But you're right to taper rather than trying to go cold turkey, because that's hard and also potentially dangerous. If you find yourself struggling with that, that's the time to ask for help. But use the cost of those as a focus, ie if you save X by drinking/indulging less, you've got money to deal with debts, and then spend on other fun things.

But again, best of luck!

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Happyhomelands

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say thank you for all the kind words and advice.

Everyone's advice was pretty consistent and although it's obviously not as easy as just flicking a switch, it has given me a lot of ideas of how to start at least.

I think I have found a way to just about manage my rent this month, even if it's not ideal, which is a real load off my mind and should allow me to concentrate on more important things.

I dusted off my blood sugar monitor today, turns out I still have a couple of boxes of testing strips that are still in date, just need to get a new battery, then from now on I'm going to keep it in my bag and take it to work with me and eventually get a spare to keep at home.

Regarding my drug use; i'm not going to try to cut it out cold-turkey as I don't think that is at all realistic, although being skint makes that more of a reality. I don't plan to look in to professional help just yet as I don't feel i'm at a stage where that is necessary, although I appreciate that is exactly what someone who is addicted would say.

Thank you again for anyone that read/commented, thank you for caring.

James.
Thank you for getting back to us. Little steps in the right direction.