Struggling with pump and blood testing

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My fingers are in agony :cry: and I am hoping to gain tips into how you all cope with the level of testing on the pump.

As a non-pumping diabetic I didn't blood test much unless I felt ill, was doing exercise or just fancied a random check. Wrong I know but it has always hurt so badly.

On the pump living like this is not an option and I am doing a minimum of 6 tests a day. My fingers are so sore I can hardly type this post. What am I doing wrong?

I use the Accu Chek Compact Plus finger pricker. The depth is ste at 2.5

I change the lancet EVERY time without fail. I use softclix lancets.

I only use the side of my fingers. I use very finger on both hands except the little finger and thumb.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Try setting the finger pricker at its lowest setting then work your way up. It only needs to just break the surface of the skin and shouldn't be painful. I test 6-8 times most days using the Accu-Chek multiclix and that is on its lowest possible setting - no pain at all.
Phone up Accu-Chek and ask them to send you one. Many think it is the most pain free one that you can have.

iHs

Hi MPB

Unfortunately, all diabetics using insulin need to test their bg. On a pump you will need to test about 6-8 times during the day and also just for a little while, you will need to test 2 times in the night so that you can make sure that the night basal rate is not too high or too low. Your Animas manual should tell you how to go about changing the basal rates and also your insulin to carb ratios so that the bolus wizard calculates correctly. If you haven't done anything yet then it's going to be a bit 'hit and miss' until you start changing things to suit what bg levels you want to achieve.

Your fingertips will get used to testing. After a while a small build up of toughened skin starts to come and you'll no longer feel any pain or very little. It's a bit like playing a guitar. Most finger prickers are all much of a muchness. The Softclix is the one I use most often. If you put it on a lower setting, you should be ok.

cjw

Hi,

I am just about to get a pump so checking out this forum. I test on my lower arms and it is virtually pain free. I use the multiclix but used to use the freestyle one. Most testers give you the option of finger or alternative site testing. I have done this for years and my hba1s are excellent. If you have a low BS it is best to check on the fingers but otherwise arms rule for me. I work in computers so typing all day this has been a godsend.

keycare

Some people also use the nail side of the finger between the first and second joints. There should be less sensitivity there and the needle should be set to the shallowest depth.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
For a long time I was afraid to use my little finger as I thought it would really hurt. Then when my other fingers were sore I tried it and it hurt less than the others so I always use it now. I have never tried using my thumb. My most sensitive finger is the middle one.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for all your replies!

cjw where abouts on the lower arm do you test? What sort of depth do you set it to to draw blood compared to the finger?

Keycare - the nail side of the finger? :shock: :shock: :shock: I have very skinny fingers so wouldn't dare test there. Even the thought of it :shock:

Daisy1 I have tried the little finger in the past and it refused to bleed but thinking of trying again. Desperate times and all that :lol:

jopar

Mushypea

Before you take bg reading from an alternitive site disguss this with your care team, as there will be a difference in the reading, due to time delay the actual blood glucose level may be lower than the what the meter is showing...

What lancing device are you using?

As this can make a differnce, I had the Microlet 2 lancer by bayer given to me this week, and boy is the lancet fine on it, so fine I need my reading glasses to see it probably :shock:

I've tried it out, found it on me to be completely painless even with repeat use (don't change my lancets with every test) first time I tried it I didn't think it had fired so surprised to get a drop of blood for testing... For me it's a shame that I don't like there meters though...

iHs

Hi

I've just tried the Microlet2 pricker that came with a free Contour and can't say that it is any better than any other of the prickers really :cry: (I wouldn't buy one). The lancet is standard 28G.

Looking on the web, BD do a 33G lancet (this got a good review from diatribe) :wink: so you could get some of those and try. Wavesense also do them.

In time, your fingertips will be less sensitive but if you are using a keyboard at work, then try pricking on the palmside of your finger below the nail or base of finger (palmside). Just make sure that your hands are warmish :)