Struggling with the diagnosis

Nikki Foster

Hi, this is my first post so sorry in advance if I waffle on a bit. I was diagnosed with type 2 on 12th Dec after suffering for couple weeks with exhaustion and extreme thirst. My gp sent me to hospital as my blood sugar level was so high and I had ketones whatever that means, I'm so new to this and quite confused. After 6 hours in the corridor and waiting room I was sent home with metformin. Did as I was told, took the pills, put up with the diarrhoea and lost 1st 6 in weight (I was very overweight, still am). The had a call from surgery yesterday to say they reviewed my results and I'm actually, definitely, type 1. I'm shocked, scared, in a complete panic. They gave me a monitor and I've been checking my blood with finger prick thing before meals, after meals, before bed etc for 2 days. Always over 20, the highest was 27 but most 22-24. I have to collect insulin from chemist tomorrow and have an appt with nurse on Friday to be shown how to use it. I feel so drained and tearful and there's no real point to this post except I wanted to tell someone who would understand. Thanks for reading x

Rhys.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Nikki,

Just a message to say, that life gets so much better and easier from now. I was diagnosed back in April 2020 and I was absolutely devastated to the core, just like you.

The initial shock of it all, will get easier for you, trust me. I am assuming they took some blood from you weeks ago and you tested positive for atleast 2 antibodies for a Type 1 Diagnosis. The one good thing so far, is that they tested you for Type 1, instead of assuming you was type 2!! To have the correct diagnosis within a month of going hospital, instead of years and finding out the harder way, is very reassuring.

Injections may become a fear, but after a week or so of doing it, you will start to feel in control. The most important thing right now, is to listen to your Diabetic Nurse and try to bring the numbers down. If it's any help, mine took around 1 - 2 months, before I started seeing normal numbers. Insulin is like a miracle for us, which has enabled millions of us around the world to still be here today and enjoy life like we should!! Embrace it, it's awesome.

If I could give myself one advice going back 8 - 9 months ago, it would be to take it very easy on the research of curing type 1 diabetes. Scientists are very close and I know this first hand, but it can affect mental health even more, which is just as important as Diabetes itself! We want it now, but it's not ready, just yet.

It is a bit late right now, but honestly, there are some great members on this forum, that will respond. You are not alone and you WILL regain yourself back to normal. Right now, you just need to get them numbers down, but do it at the pace that is set by your Nurse. Mine in Leicester, was brilliant and I have no doubt many others will be too.

Let us all know your progress. Stay strong, focused and confident that you can do this and enjoy the rest of your life.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums.

My gp sent me to hospital as my blood sugar level was so high and I had ketones whatever that means, I'm so new to this and quite confused. After 6 hours in the corridor and waiting room I was sent home with metformin.
Pretty sure that they shouldn't have done that, given that you had /have ketones as diabetic ketoacidosis is a real risk for new T1s and it kills without insulin.... (However, you're still alive :)). I suspect they just looked at your weight and age and assumed T2, and got you out of there as soon as possible because of COVID.

Anyway, the good news is that you have a T1 diagnosis before going into full fledged DKA. (Your bg levels are very high and you need insulin to bring it down and it would be better if you didn't have to wait another 36 hours before you get that insulin. Don't be afraid to ring 111 if you start to feel even worse before Friday, you really need insulin now.)

Anyway, the good news is that insulin will bring your levels down, and as a T1 you have more dietary freedom than T2s, as you're not carb intolerant, it's just that your body isn't producing enough insulin for those carbs. And modern technology for T1s is improving every year, so in the long run it should become much easier for you once you've got used to the whole thing.

So, get used to insulin being your new best friend, it's a balancing act but one that you will gradually learn to perform. Those blood sugar levels (probably with ketones) will be making you feel ill at the moment, but the insulin will bring it down and you should start to feel better soon. But they'll probably start you on a low dose of insulin and bring your levels down gradually, as too sudden changes in blood glucose can be damaging to your eyes. Also, too much insulin can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar, the bane of any T1's life) and they don't want to induce that.

There's a big learning curve for T1, but you don't have to do it all at once. Feel free to post here for advice and/or sympathy, as it's an international forum there's usually someone online.

Good luck.

Reactions: Technician87