Struggling with type 1

Ajay245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I hope someone can help
I'm type 1 diabetic diagnosed 5 years ago, struggling with it a lot I have always had quite bad control over my levels
Now that my starting to get control of my sugars
Other issues are coming up
First Iv got diabetic edema since bringing sugar down it's made me put on lots of wait that isn't the biggest issue it's also unbearable burning/tingling pain in legs more so at night
Second I keep getting really bad bowel problems diariea at least 4 times a week tryd cutting out food like dairy, gluten
Lowered fruit intake nothing worked so went gp said have IBS started taking medication for that hasn't work tryd 2 different types but it's only gotten worse
Hopefully someone can help

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Ajay245, sorry to hear you're struggling. The burning tingling in your legs may be down to the sudden change in your glucose levels. There's a type of Neuropathy that comes about when you gain control, but it isn't permanent. It's also possible that it is longer term, but you won't find that out until you've been at normal levels for a decent period of time. It's worth discussing pain relief with your GP. There are also supplements that you can take that may help.

On your bowel problems, your best bet is to ask for Coeliac tests from your GP. These are normally done at a diabetic clinic now as Coeliac is something that is often co-incident with Type 1 diabetes. You need to cut gluten for a reasonable period before any symptoms clear up properly,

The other piece of advice is to get your GP to refer you to a proper Diabetic Clinic. They will be much better equipped to help you with Diabetes issues.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi @Ajay, sorry to hear of your medical problems, it can be so debilitating and stressful. Your stomach/ problems could be down to few medical conditions and your gp will need to start a process of eliminations. I have coeliac and I had to go through months of eliminations and it was me who suggested coeliac to my gp because I googled my symptoms!
I hope you get a diagnosis soon and then you can start the road to recovery, because when ill, it can play havoc with blood glucose. Here's a useful link :- http://www.diabetes.co.uk/conditions/diabetic-diarrhoea.html
Take care.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Ajay245 Sorry to hear things are hard for you at the moment.

I second the suggestions to have a coeliac test. if that's negative, maybe keeping a food diary might give you a clue. You could also try probiotics, as sometimes high sugars can cause an imbalance in our gut bacteria.

It's really great you're starting to get control over your levels. If you need some help, Think Like A Pancreas is a fantastic book for Type 1s.

Ajay245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the help everyone when I went to the gp I did get tested for coeliac along with list of other things everything came back normal
Food diary be my next try see if I can figure out what's triggering this

Reactions: azure

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum @Ajay245 :)

Second I keep getting really bad bowel problems diariea at least 4 times a week tryd cutting out food like dairy, gluten

That sounds awful, certainly try the elimination diet but if matters don't improve then ask for a referral over to a Gastroenterology Clinic. Good luck.