1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Struggling!

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Mal37, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Mal37

Mal37 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have had a dreadful shock to find that someone special to me has suddenly died, and it has completely thrown me off my track over the last few days with eating.
    I'm forgetting to test ... forgetting to eat sensibly ... feeling so out of sorts.
    I cannot seem to take in this awful news and of course I'm scared that my control has gone diabetic-wise.
    How the heck do I deal with this sensibly when my head is all over the place.
    Has anyone else found themselves in such a state and if so how did they deal with it before big problems arose?

• Hug Hug x 6
  2. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

nothing wrong in a few days off if you do not yet have complications... just as long as one does not find further reasons one after the other... this is an exceptional situation for you take it easy for a few days and don´t be too hard on yourself... but if looking for easy kinds of foods then always wear some nuts around...

• Like Like x 2
  3. miszu

miszu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

im sorry to hear u lost someone special. if u dont eat just whatever then dont worry, there ll be no problem just try to look what u eat. if u cant do that maybe u can ask someone to watch it for u until u get better. its hard to keep everything in mind when ur not fine emotionally. sending you a big hug, stay strong !

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mal37

Thank you. Just having someone tell me not to worry too much about food right now helps enormously. I will take a few days off testing/worrying about testing etc, and just hope that I can ease myself back into the 'sensible me' within the few days. I'm sure my blood sugars will be all over the place, but it's something I don't seem to be able to deal with on top of everything else right now.

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. kelvin45

kelvin45 Type 2 · Active Member

Hello Mal, I'm sorry to hear about your loss and your worries about your diabetic control. When i lost my Wife. I too went through a period of not watching what i was eating, not testing and in some cases missing my insulin. To my surprise my diabetic nurse was very understanding however she suggested if nothing else that i must have breakfast and that i must take my long acting insulin to provide my body with some cover. Then once the funeral was over and i was a bit more on an even keel we worked together to me back into eating properly, testing and taking my insulin correctly.
    So having a few days off isn't going to harm you long term unless you already have diabetes induced problems. Yes this blip will probably show in your next Hb1ac depending on how often you are tested, but you will know what has caused it and that you can get back on track.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Hi @Mal37, my condolences to you for your bereavement. Grief does affect us badly when we lose someone close. Be kind to yourself and take things one day at a time until you are able to get back in control.
    It will be difficult now, and though it might be a cliche, it is true that time is a great healer, things will get better.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Try to do at least one test a day and remember that the special person would have wanted you to look after yourself. Hug.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Mal37

Thank you to all who have offered words of consolation and sympathy at my struggles.
    I have managed to start logging down some of my blood glucose readings again ... but still not all. I've noticed that my early morning fasting numbers have risen since my loss. The past three mornings have all been 7.2 whereas before the shock of losing my dearest friend my early morning readings were between 5.5 - 6.2 so it has certainly put me back!
    I've also gained about 5lbs in weight with eating comfort foods that I previously avoided, although I'm still within my acceptable range just about! Also I've had the tingling back in my finger tips, and felt a little breathless once or twice. It just goes to show that we cannot be totally prepared for all eventualities no matter how we try!

• Hug Hug x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook