Stuffed peppers

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Someone on here posted a recipe for bolognaise stuffed peppers. Tried them tonight and it was delicious. Although the pepper didn’t have much flavour. So not sure what I did wrong.

But one thing. How on earth do you keep the peppers standing up in the oven?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No need to put them in the oven, just cook them in a pan and serve with the sauce or put them in the sauce.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
No need to put them in the oven, just cook them in a pan and serve with the sauce or put them in the sauce.

Doesn’t that mean they aren’t stuffed peppers though?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Put them in a small enough high sided baking dish so that they support each other. I made some similar stuffed courgettes the other day, sliced in half lengthwise, hollowed them out and filled with a sort of Bolognese mixture and baked - very nice.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Also, the peppers aren't supposed to be a strong taste.
More an edible container for the sauce and the cheese on top.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Someone on here posted a recipe for bolognaise stuffed peppers. Tried them tonight and it was delicious. Although the pepper didn’t have much flavour. So not sure what I did wrong.

Are you slicing them length ways so they are like two boats?
Or are you cutting the top off, scooping out the seeds, then putting the "hat" back on?
Either way, @Mr_Pot is right.
Cram them into a high sided dish so that they support each other.

Edit: it is all about an attractive way of serving the dish. Feeds the eyes more than just putting peppers and sauce on the plate side by side.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Does it matter? It would taste the same.

I guess not. But then I might as well just have a bolognaise sauce.

I’m trying to force myself to cook rather than just have meat and leaves.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Are you slicing them length ways so they are like two boats?
Or are you cutting the top off, scooping out the seeds, then putting the "hat" back on?
Either way, @Mr_Pot is right.
Cram them into a high sided dish so that they support each other.

Edit: it is all about an attractive way of serving the dish. Feeds the eyes more than just putting peppers and sauce on the plate side by side.

I was scooping insides out and stuffing. Although I did t put hat back on. Didn’t even think of that.

To be honest it didn’t spill out but there was only the one. So nothing to prop it up with.

Might need to get a ramekin

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Put them in a small enough high sided baking dish so that they support each other. I made some similar stuffed courgettes the other day, sliced in half lengthwise, hollowed them out and filled with a sort of Bolognese mixture and baked - very nice.

That does sound nice. Used to have something like that at my favourite tapas. Also with aubergines as the boat

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel cooked peppers loses its flavour, I rather them stay raw and you can do the stuffing in a pan and scoop into raw peppers.

D

Deleted member 308541

We cook savoury mince capsicums in the oven, they stand up on end ok, they taste alright when the cheese topping melts in the mix.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Does it matter? It would taste the same.
I for one am happy when my food looks pretty as well as tasty. A stuffed pepper makes me way more happy than a blob of red goo, despite tasting the same.
How on earth do you keep the peppers standing up in the oven?
If I want to make stuffed peppers I hunt for the ones that will stay upright when shopping. Alternatively, I use them on their sides and I will test in what position they stay level before cutting. I then use the cut off part in the sauce, a salad, tomorrows dinner or to feed the guinea pigs :)

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try just slicing a thin slice off the bottom of each pepper to make the bottoms more level, just enough not to create any holes though!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We always have a roll of Lidl's mucho-cheapo "wrapping foil" at home. For things like this I tear off a piece (trial and error will guide your judgement on the size), I then lightly scrunch it up to provide a little cushion, with a dip in it for the bottom of the pepper.

If the scrunching is loose enough, it should mean the hot air gets all round the pepper, or whatever you're cooking.

It's also great for preventing things sticking to the baking tray or whatever.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That does sound nice. Used to have something like that at my favourite tapas. Also with aubergines as the boat
Aubergine sounds good, it could taste like moussaka.
I don't think much of the idea of cooking the container separately. The whole idea with stuffed things is that the juices soak into the flesh, soften it and flavour it. Also as @Antje77 says it looks better.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Aubergine sounds good, it could taste like moussaka.
I make a pretty low carb moussaka too, I love aubergine. I leave out the potatoes (they are the boring part anyway) but I make regular bechamel. The resulting moussaka is low carb enough that I need very little insulin for it as there aren't many carbs in the other ingredients. I've made it both with real meat and with fake meat and they both tasted great :)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make a pretty low carb moussaka too, I love aubergine. I leave out the potatoes (they are the boring part anyway) but I make regular bechamel. The resulting moussaka is low carb enough that I need very little insulin for it as there aren't many carbs in the other ingredients. I've made it both with real meat and with fake meat and they both tasted great :)
When my wife makes Lasagne she replaces the pasta in one side of the dish with slices of aubergine so that I get Lassaka or possibly Moussagne.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doesn’t that mean they aren’t stuffed peppers though?
All the best chefs do deconstructed dishes!

And here's a link to one of many such recipes for deconstructed stuffed peppers, with a photo to prove it! :D:D:D

dsc04966.jpg

Robbity

Reactions: woollygal

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m trying to force myself to cook rather than just have meat and leaves
yay you! Peppers and tomatoes change after a bit of cooking to soft squidgy and much stronger flavour. If you cook for less time you don't get that change so much. It's a preference thing, some like to avoid the squidgy, some like the stronger flavour. Nice thing about cooking for yourself is you get to choose.

The length of time depends on heat, so hotter is faster. The pan fried method mentioned above would probably be the quickest. I prefer to put in the oven because I like to have a little sit down and anticipate my dinner which is "cooking itself" in the oven:).

I would slice the peppers lengthways because you get more of the filling exposed so can add more cheese on top (always good) and you get a bigger variation in textures, crunchy top, soggy bottom, juicy middle.

All way more information about my relationship with stuffed peppers than anyone needs:D