Stupidly cheated and now feel awful!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I may be thick in this case but I don’t follow the meaning?
It loses a lot in the explanation..

"My diebetic (sic) nurse told me enjoy Xmas have a treat enjoy it and don't feel guilty"

Was the original statement..

I was making a verbal play on the difference between a "Diabetic Nurse" and a "Diabetes Nurse"
The first being a nurse with diabetes the latter being a nurse "caring" for people with diabetes.

The advice from the nurse implied that they think its ok to have "treats" and not feel guilty may explain why the nurse became diabetic (assuming T2).

See told you it lost a lot in the explanation...

Edit to add I'm in no way having a go at @Diane_56 as the Diabetic/Diabetes nurse is one of the most common errors made on the forum..

Reactions: johnme

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Lovejoy00 - I'm sure everyone, sooner or later does something like you did. I guess it's almost a rite of passage. You gave it a go, enjoyed the moment, but aren't enjoying it's kick back.

Take it steady moving forward.

@NicoleC1971 - Whilst I take your point, I think for lots of T2, we see how we approach our eating in a similar way to how T1s approach their insulin. It's our medicine. I'm not sure how you'd respond to a T1 who hadn't taken their insulin properly for a period.

Of course, I'm utterly and absolutely clear that going on an carbfest for a week is highly unlikely to kill a T2 off, where a T1 not using the insulin for a week could put them in mortal danger, but in my mind it's about complying with an agreement I've made with myself.

Of course I have varied, from time to time, from the ideal path, but it's important we set our own standards, then do our best to stick to them, after all, we're the only ones who will bear the consequences of not looking after ourselves.

Last edited:

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It loses a lot in the explanation..

"My diebetic (sic) nurse told me enjoy Xmas have a treat enjoy it and don't feel guilty"

Was the original statement..

I was making a verbal play on the difference between a "Diabetic Nurse" and a "Diabetes Nurse"
The first being a nurse with diabetes the latter being a nurse "caring" for people with diabetes.

The advice from the nurse implied that they think its ok to have "treats" and not feel guilty may explain why the nurse became diabetic (assuming T2).

See told you it lost a lot in the explanation...

Edit to add I'm in no way having a go at @Diane_56 as the Diabetic/Diabetes nurse is one of the most common errors made on the forum..

Sorry. I should have tuned in to that!

Reactions: bulkbiker

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry. I should have tuned in to that!

Ps to add my 2d worth, there is fantastic pressure to overeat/return to high sugar/carb diet behaviour at this time of year. I think of it as being like the pressure on alcoholics, where the wretched stuff is available everywhere. Perhaps the diabetes nurse would spend her/his time better in offering strategies to defend yourself against this

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ps to add my 2d worth, there is fantastic pressure to overeat/return to high sugar/carb diet behaviour at this time of year. I think of it as being like the pressure on alcoholics, where the wretched stuff is available everywhere. Perhaps the diabetes nurse would spend her/his time better in offering strategies to defend yourself against this

I agree, and I wish there were something like DA for us. I'm not a joiner and I don't do meetings; still, it would be nice to have someone like a sponsor (is that the term?) at holiday gatherings to grab your wrist and say "Put it back"!

That's one reason I'm so grateful for everyone here. We understand each other and what it's like.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never thought of it this way before. :) To me it's felt like cheating by breaking rules. More "sneaking" than cheating. But in the end it's really just cheating myself because physically my body suffers and mentally I disappoint myself.

But I still do it. And when I think about it, I can't figure out why I do. What was it Saint Paul said? "I don't understand what I do. For what I want to do, I don't do; and what I do, I don't like"?
Amen

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
a mince pie has on average 40g of carbs. that's 4 slices of bread worth.
It’s Christmas Eve.
4 rounds of dry bread or a mince pie???
Call me shallow and weak willed but the mince pie ain’t gonna see Christmas Day.

Reactions: Daphne917

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s Christmas Eve.
Call me shallow and weak willed but the mince pie ain’t gonna see Christmas Day.

Ah but how lucky we are eh! An extra jab and that mince pie (or equivalent because I hate mincemeat) is history. :)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bloomin’ type 1s showboating with their fancy insulin! :hilarious:

Ha ha Jim, I know!!! I think I would struggle if I was type 2, I am very good at restraint but if somebody tells me 'you can't have that' even if it's myself......well...I rarely have a 'treat' as it were but I like knowing that I could if I wanted to, I think that's the main difference. :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I bought the mini mince pies from Lidl’s and they were 10g of carb, perfect for hypos ;)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s Christmas Eve.
Purely for experimental purposes I decided to take a ‘hit for science’ and have a mince pie with clotted cream this afternoon with readings as follows - 5.8 just before eating, 7.5 1 hour after and 6.00 2 hours after. I’m calling it a success however I did find it a little sweet so may refrain in future

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Purely for experimental purposes I decided to take a ‘hit for science’ and have a mince pie with clotted cream this afternoon with readings as follows - 5.8 just before eating, 7.5 1 hour after and 6.00 2 hours after. I’m calling it a success however I did find it a little sweet so may refrain in future
Maybe the clotted cream that helped you stay level. ( Those readings are level for us T1’s :))