Success At Local Surgery

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My progress: finally they had a ppg meeting and I attended and asked about low carb/peer support for patients. No such groups but it will be raised internally. No clinical staff present only admin and apparently that’s normal. The following day I got accepted onto phc so once I’ve done that training in a few weeks I’ll have better prep to push things forward. The plan long term is a surgery (part of a group) supported local low carb group for t2 and also hcp eduction for the group. My surgery isn’t anti low carb but seem to have a limited view of its application (newly diagnosed, low diabetic readings only was my takeaway from an appointment today).

I’ve never done anything like this before but I’m determined. So if anyone has any advice going forward then please pm me as at this point I’m driving blindfolded.

No advice as such. I'm moving forward but no idea where the journey will take me. Im just going with my gut. I put together a meeting last year. Got lots of t2d together with our big pants. DCUK sorted room and food. PR team came. Many people who attended have done PR now. Spreading the word. Such wonderful success stories to inspire. PR team always looking for new inspirational stories. I can give you contact details should you wish to share your journey. I keep saying yes to anything. Papers, mags radio (local) TV!!!

I sent the inspirational stories booklet, what have you eaten today booklet we pulled together, blood glucose testing leaflet, we kicked diabetes butt doc into my surgery in a brown envelope. I got all drs and HCPs names from Google and wrote on front and asked for everyone to read. I'm not sure why they didn't ban me but they embraced what I'm doing thankfully.

I joined my ppg which opened various doors. One being they give me a room to do pt to pt clinics. Weight loss or diabetes. Next week is weight loss support clinic. I said I wanted to so presentations in community to help others. They got me a room. They asked me to share my journey at big meeting of drs and HCPs ccg and ppg members etc. @100 people there. Made it known I'm in remission due to lchf and blood glucose monitor.

I'm active on Twitter. Got offers to talk at low carb groups. Involving travel. I dont mind. All in a good cause.

Active on my Facebook too. Picking up a couple of things from there too. Hate public speaking but doing it!!! For the cause.

All these things have happened probably because I'm very vocal I suspect. But also because my surgery has been really supportive.

Not sure where it will go but my latest idea is to sort petition and deliver to no. 10! But that might take some sorting!

This is my contribution, others are doing similar. Not just on this forum. Many groups, all sick of the standard advice which does indeed make diabetes progressive.

Yesterday I tweeted a PM to DUK asking questions, I'm awaiting a reply and will share questions and answers once I get reply.

Hope this helps.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No advice as such. I'm moving forward but no idea where the journey will take me. Im just going with my gut. I put together a meeting last year. Got lots of t2d together with our big pants. DCUK sorted room and food. PR team came. Many people who attended have done PR now. Spreading the word. Such wonderful success stories to inspire. PR team always looking for new inspirational stories. I can give you contact details should you wish to share your journey. I keep saying yes to anything. Papers, mags radio (local) TV!!!

I sent the inspirational stories booklet, what have you eaten today booklet we pulled together, blood glucose testing leaflet, we kicked diabetes butt doc into my surgery in a brown envelope. I got all drs and HCPs names from Google and wrote on front and asked for everyone to read. I'm not sure why they didn't ban me but they embraced what I'm doing thankfully.

I joined my ppg which opened various doors. One being they give me a room to do pt to pt clinics. Weight loss or diabetes. Next week is weight loss support clinic. I said I wanted to so presentations in community to help others. They got me a room. They asked me to share my journey at big meeting of drs and HCPs ccg and ppg members etc. @100 people there. Made it known I'm in remission due to lchf and blood glucose monitor.

I'm active on Twitter. Got offers to talk at low carb groups. Involving travel. I dont mind. All in a good cause.

Active on my Facebook too. Picking up a couple of things from there too. Hate public speaking but doing it!!! For the cause.

All these things have happened probably because I'm very vocal I suspect. But also because my surgery has been really supportive.

Not sure where it will go but my latest idea is to sort petition and deliver to no. 10! But that might take some sorting!

This is my contribution, others are doing similar. Not just on this forum. Many groups, all sick of the standard advice which does indeed make diabetes progressive.

Yesterday I tweeted a PM to DUK asking questions, I'm awaiting a reply and will share questions and answers once I get reply.

Hope this helps.
It does. I can do vocal but no idea how to organise these things. Perhaps I’ll have more direction after the training days. All advice welcome though. Just hoping to make as few unrecoverable mistakes as possible along the way (ie not alienate important people). I get this isn’t for everyone but even they deserve the opportunity to say no thanks to the option. And if just a few are helped by it (and I hope it’s more than that) then that’s my goal.

Your tv appearance was being quoted on a Facebook group just the other day so word spreads.......

Reactions: DJC3 and Debandez

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My progress: finally they had a ppg meeting and I attended and asked about low carb/peer support for patients. No such groups but it will be raised internally. No clinical staff present only admin and apparently that’s normal. The following day I got accepted onto phc so once I’ve done that training in a few weeks I’ll have better prep to push things forward. The plan long term is a surgery (part of a group) supported local low carb group for t2 and also hcp eduction for the group. My surgery isn’t anti low carb but seem to have a limited view of its application (newly diagnosed, low diabetic readings only was my takeaway from an appointment today).

I’ve never done anything like this before but I’m determined. So if anyone has any advice going forward then please pm me as at this point I’m driving blindfolded.
The biggest impact my PPG connection has made is via the surgery Admin staff. She was at the first meeting which paved the way for a series of side meetings which have developed well, so much so that she follows Debs every Tweet now etc.

This particular Administrator is very proactive which helps.

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with that.

Hi Debra, Apologies for the previous message, this was sent in error. We are getting in touch with our teams and will be back in touch soon with a full response

Looking good.

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been invited to notify the chairman of the PPG meeting of what I would like to see on the agenda of the next meeting and it will be:

• Feedback required on Debandez’s leaflet that has been on the shelves at my two surgeries
  • Efforts to expand the diabetes section of the surgeries Facebook pages.
  • Promotion of Diabetes.co.uk forum as a provider of a solution to T2 diabetes and associated support
  • Progress on a drop in type gathering for T2 and Prediabetes patients in the catchment
  • The next Self Care event in November - stalls conveying a message on diabetes.

Reactions: HSSS and ringi

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Latest meeting at my own surgery was held this evening.

Feedback on uptake of Debandez leaflets was disappointing however all leaflets are in a quiet backwater within the surgery waiting area. The GP attending the meeting suggested they were distributed via the nursing team, an idea that was pleasing. The debate continued on remission v reversal etc but this didn’t really stop the momentum on the distribution of the leaflet.

It was agreed that it would be a great idea to have Debandez man a T2 diabetes stall at the Self Care event that is up and coming. This has now to be approved by the admin organiser and of course @Debandez

Advertising diabetes.co.uk - I was offered the surgery notice board in the waiting area for 5 weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debandez

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The GP attending the meeting suggested they were distributed via the nursing team

Can each GP's consulting room have a folder of resources that GP can give out, with a member of admin staff updating the folder as leaflets are used etc?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Latest meeting at my own surgery was held this evening.

Feedback on uptake of Debandez leaflets was disappointing however all leaflets are in a quiet backwater within the surgery waiting area. The GP attending the meeting suggested they were distributed via the nursing team, an idea that was pleasing. The debate continued on remission v reversal etc but this didn’t really stop the momentum on the distribution of the leaflet.

It was agreed that it would be a great idea to have Debandez man a T2 diabetes stall at the Self Care event that is up and coming. This has now to be approved by the admin organiser and of course @Debandez

Advertising diabetes.co.uk - I was offered the surgery notice board in the waiting area for 5 weeks.
You are going great stuff in your neck of the woods.

Remission/reversal/ well controlled. Could be called any as long as you stick to it. Not splitting hairs. Happy to call it whatever they want. Any dates in mind so I can pencil in? Would live to help. I have lots of leaflets to hand out that will be very helpful.

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are going great stuff in your neck of the woods.

Remission/reversal/ well controlled. Could be called any as long as you stick to it. Not splitting hairs. Happy to call it whatever they want. Any dates in mind so I can pencil in? Would live to help. I have lots of leaflets to hand out that will be very helpful.
I will email you the flyer later today but Nov 20th is what I scribbled down last night.

Reactions: Debandez

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will email you the flyer later today but Nov 20th is what I scribbled down last night.
I'm booked to do a little talk at a diabetic group meeting
Just spoke to the Administrator. She is going to email you.
Great. Just on my way to big meet up in warrington. Many drs and HCPs. Including dr joanne McCormack, dr David unwin and Jen. So excited!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Great. Just on my way to big meet up in warrington. Many drs and HCPs. Including dr joanne McCormack, dr David unwin and Jen. So excited!
And...you should have a copy of the flyer via email....

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can each GP's consulting room have a folder of resources that GP can give out, with a member of admin staff updating the folder as leaflets are used etc?
I hadn’t thought of that. (The idea to distribute Debandez’s leaflet via the nurses came from the GP present - who happens to be the lead diabetes GP at the surgery and was seconded by the lead receptionist)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Oh dear. Just seen your email reply to the Administrator. I am gutted too. Maybe next year. :)

Actually they seem to be running at least 2 a year.

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear. Just seen your email reply to the Administrator. I am gutted too. Maybe next year. :)

Actually they seem to be running at least 2 a year.
Always next time. My diary has never been so full!!!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Always next time. My diary has never been so full!!!
I had been considering myself. I know you would be better at it than me but it isn’t that, I am struggling for the time as I am working full time with part time other work on top of that. I was semi retired up until May time and had a lot more free time as a consequence. Those days have gone, well for now anyway.

I found out last night that the Administrator that emailed you has the Empowerment budget on behalf of the two surgeries. This cropped up when one of the PPG fellers had mentioned he had spent £16 of his own money on colour copies of the Self Care Event flyer. Advice was that he should claim it back from her.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Debandez and @Listlad - might it not be time to take diary arrangements etc to PM thus leaving the tread for actual reports of success?