Success stories?

ron77

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Folks,

Just curious if there is anyone here who actually followed either the new castle approach, or even their recommendations that even a slower loss of liver and pancreatic fat can 'cure' or almost cure the type 2 symptoms?

I just found out I'm at the top edge of pre, (morning blood sugars about 6.7m/120 U.S.). My wife is type 2, so been wearing her meter out checking a lot just get an idea on how my body is running. The day after I found out I did hours of research and started LCHF. Also, it ended up reducing my calories by about a 1000 a day just from ceasing all the cola/sugars/fast foods. I've already lost about 5 lbs and 1.25 inches off my waste.

Curious about some real life samples of how much help this had on people in accordance with their pre- status (how severe, how long type 2).
On the Universities. web page they remark there were a lot of emails from people who did in essence reverse the condition.
Is this real? Anyone here actually do it?

Thanks in advance! Cheers to all,
Ron

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
have a rummage through the search function here - there have been a lot of threads on the subject.

Off the top of my head, @Andrew Colvin @Pipp @brettsza are ND veterans.

My personal view is that if you are successfully losing weight already, then why put yourself through weeks of semi-starvation?

Professor Taylor himself says that it isn't the speed of the loss that does it, and that fast weight loss and meal replacements work for some people, but it is definitely not the only way.

My experience of fast weight loss is that I did not enjoy the baggy slack skin and the effect it had on my metabolic rate (thrifty gene). I prefer slow but sure, the LCHF way. But we are all different, and if a rapid loss and quick effect is required, then it has certainly worked for people on the forum.

Reactions: 2 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome
I'll tag @daisy1 for some general info for newcomers.
I didn't do the Newcastle diet but did try to eat 500 calories less than I was burning. Also cut out or reduced carbs that spiked my blood sugars. Exercise - went from very little building up to about 4 to 5 miles walking a day. I've lost over 2 stone and now with a BMI of 20 and my last HbA1c was 33. It was 95 (very high) at diagnosis. For me (we are all different) it was diet, weight loss and exercise. I would still say I'm diabetic but under control. Not on any medication for diabetes. Still watch I eat but am trying a lot more normal foods which I seem to be able to manage now that I couldn't before.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@ron77

Hello Ron and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members, suggested above, and I hope you will find it useful. Ask more questions and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Folks,

Just curious if there is anyone here who actually followed either the new castle approach, or even their recommendations that even a slower loss of liver and pancreatic fat can 'cure' or almost cure the type 2 symptoms?

I just found out I'm at the top edge of pre, (morning blood sugars about 6.7m/120 U.S.). My wife is type 2, so been wearing her meter out checking a lot just get an idea on how my body is running. The day after I found out I did hours of research and started LCHF. Also, it ended up reducing my calories by about a 1000 a day just from ceasing all the cola/sugars/fast foods. I've already lost about 5 lbs and 1.25 inches off my waste.

Curious about some real life samples of how much help this had on people in accordance with their pre- status (how severe, how long type 2).
On the Universities. web page they remark there were a lot of emails from people who did in essence reverse the condition.

Ron
Thanks @Brunneria for tagging me.
@ron77, welcome to forum. I will try to answer your query....
I was diagnosed T2 in 2005. Tried to follow all advice of HCP, (low fat complex carbs, and lose weight). Result was ever increasing weight and blood glucose levels.
I read about the Newcastle research, in 2011, and persuaded my doctor to support me in following the progamme. I followed the total food replacement guidelines, which at that time involved nothing consumed other than water and meal replacement products. Within days my BG levels returned to non-diabetic levels, and remained so since. Recently, there has been slow increase in weight and BG levels are now just below threshold for pre-diabetic level.
In the early days post Newcastle diet, I was euphoric, and hoping that I had 'reversed' my T2. Perhaps it is neccesary to define reversed, and there has been much debate in forum about that. For me, I think I have reached the conclusion that I am approaching again the 'personal fat threshold' that Professor Taylor discusses in the research papers. I have been able to eat high carb foods without the sort of 'spike' in BG levels many report. However, by doing so, it appears that is having an effect long term with the slow creep up of HbA1c. (And the weight gain). I am hoping that by losing some of the weight regained I will once again get well below my personal fat threshold. If not, I will hopefully at the very least have delayed by 4 years the onset of complications from high BG levels.
If I had heard of low carb high fat diet prior to embarking on Newcastle diet, I would perhaps have tried that. I do eat low carb and moderate amounts of fat now, but will have to eat less to lose the weight.
In conclusion. I would not regard myself 'cured', despite being able to eat high carbfood, as the potential to slip into diabetic BG levels is there if I don't watch weight.
In your position, I think I would persevere with LCHF, as you seem to be making excellent progress with that.
Best of luck, whatever you decide.

Reactions: 7 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp 's post actually sums it up all.
I did nd in june and I have been doing well with my bg's. I can eat any amount of carbs and still be at around 6 mark at one hour even with desserts and back in 5's at 2 hours. But when I was on nd I had made a point of doing something about my weight as I tend to gain weight even with lchf. As soon as I finished nd I started IF so I do a 16 hour fast everyday. I am doing low carb moderate fat at the moment but my weight has been very well maintained. After initial gain of 3 kilos I have stuck to my weight and feel good. But please don't get carried away when I say I can have dessert and still be in 5's at 2 hours. I do exercise and stay low carb most of the times. 16 hour fast and when I actually eat after 16 hours it's usually bowl of salad and some protiens and same goes in the night for dinner. Its at the weekends when I really do let myself loose a little so a dinner out once in 2 weeks just as a treat. I feel you need to have a treat once in a while to keep the motivation levels up. If you do decide to go down nd route pls don't forget to ask your hcp for support.
There are many threads on nd which will help you immensely.
I have absolutely followed @Pipp and @Andrew Colvin posts and really look upto them for advise. There is a wealth of information available on this forum.

Reactions: 4 people

ron77

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks @Brunneria for tagging me.
@ron77, welcome to forum. I will try to answer your query....
I was diagnosed T2 in 2005. Tried to follow all advice of HCP, (low fat complex carbs, and lose weight). Result was ever increasing weight and blood glucose levels.
I read about the Newcastle research, in 2011, and persuaded my doctor to support me in following the progamme. I followed the total food replacement guidelines, which at that time involved nothing consumed other than water and meal replacement products. Within days my BG levels returned to non-diabetic levels, and remained so since. Recently, there has been slow increase in weight and BG levels are now just below threshold for pre-diabetic level.
In the early days post Newcastle diet, I was euphoric, and hoping that I had 'reversed' my T2. Perhaps it is neccesary to define reversed, and there has been much debate in forum about that. For me, I think I have reached the conclusion that I am approaching again the 'personal fat threshold' that Professor Taylor discusses in the research papers. I have been able to eat high carb foods without the sort of 'spike' in BG levels many report. However, by doing so, it appears that is having an effect long term with the slow creep up of HbA1c. (And the weight gain). I am hoping that by losing some of the weight regained I will once again get well below my personal fat threshold. If not, I will hopefully at the very least have delayed by 4 years the onset of complications from high BG levels.
If I had heard of low carb high fat diet prior to embarking on Newcastle diet, I would perhaps have tried that. I do eat low carb and moderate amounts of fat now, but will have to eat less to lose the weight.
In conclusion. I would not regard myself 'cured', despite being able to eat high carbfood, as the potential to slip into diabetic BG levels is there if I don't watch weight.
In your position, I think I would persevere with LCHF, as you seem to be making excellent progress with that.
Best of luck, whatever you decide.

Thanks much, very interesting. Youdid great, to me, if you can eat carbs without a spike, your at least 'cured' for your set point. I think of it like a person who gains weight easy, they will always gain weight easy, but if they lose it and keep it off, they are 'cured' of being overweight. I guess I think of cured right in the middle of the definitions :)

I'd love to know how your readings are, again, after you get the weight back down :)

ron77

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
@Pipp 's post actually sums it up all.
I did nd in june and I have been doing well with my bg's. I can eat any amount of carbs and still be at around 6 mark at one hour even with desserts and back in 5's at 2 hours. But when I was on nd I had made a point of doing something about my weight as I tend to gain weight even with lchf. As soon as I finished nd I started IF so I do a 16 hour fast everyday. I am doing low carb moderate fat at the moment but my weight has been very well maintained. After initial gain of 3 kilos I have stuck to my weight and feel good. But please don't get carried away when I say I can have dessert and still be in 5's at 2 hours. I do exercise and stay low carb most of the times. 16 hour fast and when I actually eat after 16 hours it's usually bowl of salad and some protiens and same goes in the night for dinner. Its at the weekends when I really do let myself loose a little so a dinner out once in 2 weeks just as a treat. I feel you need to have a treat once in a while to keep the motivation levels up. If you do decide to go down nd route pls don't forget to ask your hcp for support.
There are many threads on nd which will help you immensely.
I have absolutely followed @Pipp and @Andrew Colvin posts and really look upto them for advise. There is a wealth of information available on this forum.

Thanks, wow you did great too. I sure don't mind 'exercise and low carb for life' as long as I can eat carbs ONCE in a while without a spike. You did that, very awesome!

ron77

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
have a rummage through the search function here - there have been a lot of threads on the subject.

Off the top of my head, @Andrew Colvin @Pipp @brettsza are ND veterans.

My personal view is that if you are successfully losing weight already, then why put yourself through weeks of semi-starvation?

Professor Taylor himself says that it isn't the speed of the loss that does it, and that fast weight loss and meal replacements work for some people, but it is definitely not the only way.

My experience of fast weight loss is that I did not enjoy the baggy slack skin and the effect it had on my metabolic rate (thrifty gene). I prefer slow but sure, the LCHF way. But we are all different, and if a rapid loss and quick effect is required, then it has certainly worked for people on the forum.
Just impatient for results :) so going 1/2 way between Newcastle and normal diet :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What the heck is 'halfway between Newcastle and normal'?
Are you impatient for weight loss or blood glucose improvements, or both?

Reactions: 6 people

ron77

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
What the heck is 'halfway between Newcastle and normal'?
Are you impatient for weight loss or blood glucose improvements, or both?
haha :) BOTH!!

What I meant was combining low carb and a medium restrictive diet. Not new castle levels, but also not a 'normal' slight calorie drop like a standard weight loss.
Was eating 2800-3000 calories.
Now eating 1500-1800 and low carb
It's just enough I'm not super suffering, but low enough for more rapid fat loss :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
haha :) BOTH!!

What I meant was combining low carb and a medium restrictive diet. Not new castle levels, but also not a 'normal' slight calorie drop like a standard weight loss.
Was eating 2800-3000 calories.
Now eating 1500-1800 and low carb
It's just enough I'm not super suffering, but low enough for more rapid fat loss :)

If you get to the point where you feel you are suffering, that is when you will start to fail.
Important to remember you are not 'on a diet' you need to find a sustainable eating regime for life. For me, Newcastle diet was a 'diet' i.e. short term solution to the problem blood glucose. Finding the most suitable sustainable eating regime was more difficult. Low carb seems the way for me, as even though the carb foods don't cause big BG spikes, they do make me gain weight, and can be addictive.
We all have to find the right levels for our individual circumstances. Just beware that you could weaken if you feel you are 'suffering' and if you do, get your calories from fat not carbs. Some excellent ideas of what to eat in the threads 'low carb what have you eaten'.

davich

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who complain for the sake of complaining. The why me brigade. Live with what you have and make the best of your life.
I have been type2 since 2009. Simply bought a diabetic cookbook. Exercise minimum one hour pr day 5 times a week.That's always cycling as I can get into the fat burning zone for most of the hour. Don't drink or smoke. Now lost 3 stone have a solid flat stomach at 35 inches was 39 inches. My morning reading is 4.5, 2 hours later it's 5.2. These have been checked at the fitzwilliam hospital and the local gp surgery. My lifestyle is as perfect as it can be. My gp says I am her success story. Not difficult to get things right if you want to. No excuses just think every time I do something like food shopping or eating snacks. I was shocked when told I was type 2. Still on 2 x 500mg of metformin but no longer feel a victim to type2. I am 60 years old and since I had 3 heart attacks in 2011/2012 have now turned my life around. Exercise and good diet with a positive lifestyle has helped me. I hope others can benefit from listening to good advice and not living on excuses. Best of luck and health to all.

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Ron77. I have found the information I've read on the Newcastle Diet really interesting. When I was diagnosed, I didn't realise just how much I actually needed to lose weight. That sounds silly, but I was comfortable with my weight. I knew I was over weight but I'm tall so it was easier to carry it off. But reading about the 'personal fat threshold' made me understand that this isn't about how you look. However, for me a very low calorie diet wouldn't be useful. I need to retrain my eating habits. And as Brunneria pointed out, its not how you lose weight that is important, but just that you DO lose weight. I chose to follow the LCHF diet and am getting really good results. So far I have lost a stone and a half whilst eating really very well.
I believe that I will always be a diabetic. But my goal is to be able to eat and live as a NON diabetic. This sounds like a contradiction. But if you asked a selection of people who are slim and maintain that weight, to write a food diary, I'm sure the majority of them would eat in the manner to which I aspire. That is, they would eat sensibly most of the time. Their portion sizes would be normal. Sweet treats would be just that. Occasional sweet treats.
That's where I'm hoping to get myself. I will NEVER be able to eat the way I used to. If I do, the weight will come back and I'll be in the same position I am now.
I haven't reached my goal as yet, but my BG control is much better. So I will continue to follow this diet and hopefully get to a point where my blood sugars are always constant. But I shall never consider myself 'cured'.

ron77

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks guys, I agree.
Beleive it or not, the LCHF is actually more satisfying to me, even with lower calories, than my old diet. I feel better already, am losing at a nice pace. Once I feel I'm down to where I should be, I'll adjust if I need to ;) I was a skinny kid and even when I graduated high school. 5'8 inches and 117 lbs! I think my body wants me thinner. I force fed myself for years and lifted weights trying to 'get big', that was my downfall. I never really enjoyed eating a lot, I just got into the habit from years of trying to not be skinny at any cost. Didn't know this would be the cost! Now it feels good to eat less :)

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are finding LCHF more satisfying I would just stick with it. If you are satisfied you are less likely to go off course and back into old eating habits. It is quite possible for many T2s to put their diabetes into remmission and keep it there but you do have to understand that it is a lifelong journey.

Reactions: 5 people

ron77

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Yes, right on. Man, the thought of going back to my old eating is revolting and terrifying. Now, when I go to the store and see all those foods I used to buy, I think 'evil'! :)
Lifelong for sure, in just 2 weeks I FEEL so much better than I have for years, I can't wait to feel even better and more fit :)

Here are my motivating results in in 16 days of this (started Nov 4th)

Waking Blood sugar
Nov 4th/5th 125mg / 6.9mm
Nov 19th 115mg / 6.4mm (- 10mg / - .5mm)

Bodyweight
Nov 8th 173.6 lbs
Nov 20th 165.6 (- 8 lbs)

Waist size
Nov 9th 39 1/4 inches
Nov 20th 37.5 ( - 1.75 inches)

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

alangarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nosey Bossy people
Hi Folks,

Ron

I have followed a book called reverse your Diabetes by Dr David Cavan, cut a lot of carbs out, doing more exercise and test test test, blood sugars are reading good, I have lost 5 stone, my Doctor said what ever you are doing keep doing it because your Diabetes is not showing up on your last 3 months check, blood pressure fine, He has halved my medication, he said I can not honestly tell you whether it's the meds that are controlling it or your diet. I feel great, I asked him months ago if I could reverse it and his answer was no you will not be able to reverse it, some can but you wont, I felt good proving him wrong.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes cant be 'reversed' as such but it can in a lot of people be put into remmission and with commitment it can stay that way. Whether it is through LCHF, ND or some other form of diet it is achievable but you just have to make sure it is a lifestyle change you can commit to for life.