Sudden change in behaviour - type one toddler

Blissfool

Hi,

I feel at my wits ends and very worried. My little boy was diagnosed nearly a year ago, in August 2010, admitted to hospital with severe DKA. since en, he has undergone drastic dental surgery, which was very traumatic for him, on top of everything else, and had to cope with all that comes with diabetes. He is on a pump. He has always been a really calm, happy boy, except when he was really sick before we knew what was going on. For about 6mths prior to diagnosis he was extremely anxious, to the degree of obsessive (couldn't have a different coloured sheet, for example). He was very weepy and a angry in turn, and would scream at his daddy to go away. He was also very tired and/or hyper but unable to concentrate and had erratic behaviours. Once he was on the insulin and we got his levels under 20, these only really popped up if he went really high and even then, were mild in comparison.
Until about two weeks ago, when he started behaving the same, or similar. Of course, we checked his BMs regularly (always do) and his ketones and he hasn't really been over 13 and that was only for an hour or two! But his behaviour and physical behaviour is so similar, except that now it is me he is angry at (which is really tough).
I'm wondering if this is him processing the emotions he is feeling or if possibly there is another cause? The thing is, I spent 6 mths with him really sick because people told me it was just a phase of his emotionally, and I am worried about just assuming it is this. Wondered if anyone else has gone through this? It is one of those days where I just want to sit on the floor and cry!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya, We do have a diabetes youth club where parents of the young children post, am sure if you were to ask on there someone will come along and help,support, guide you along. They are lovely and helpful with gorgeous children Type1's and experienced the same, so will know how you are feeling too. Hope this helps? Anna.x :)

leggott

Hi Blissfool, I remember reading your posts a while ago and it sounds like both you and your little boy have been through a lot.

I have a toddler at the moment (non diabetic), who could test the patience of a Saint and I too have those days where I could easily just shut the door and run away! It could be that he is just going through those toddler moments, or perhaps something has changed recently to make him resort back to his previous behaviour when he was ill. It might be that when he was unwell he got lots more attention so now he is using this to manipulate you. He may be coming down with a virus or be a little under the weather so isn't quite his normal self.

Perhaps you should monitor his behaviour over the next week and see if you can see any patterns or figure out if there is a trigger to it. You probably should just take him go see your GP just to make sure he's not a little poorly too.

If you haven't got one then a sticker chart might work well. He's been through so much recently so I bet it is hard to discipline him. Reward charts help to show them that good behaviour will reap rewards, but bad behaviour will result in treats being withdrawn.

I hope you get to the bottom of this. In the meantime, try and have a little time to yourself or away from you son. I know it doesn't make the problems go away, but a bit of 'you' time would be a good thing.

jopar

I've had a little thought about this..

Don't forget if his blood glucose levels has been stable for a while at a nice range his body would have got used to this, and hitting 13 will make him feel horrible just as much as the 20's did...

Another things to look at, is has you changed anything in his diet, introduced a new food or changed the brand of something he normally had!

My son used to have major flash changes in behaviour, most of the time he was a well behaved loveable toddler, then without warning go into an uncontrolable rage, fits of sobbing etc these eposides would last for several hours, and you just couldn't get anywhere near him to comfort him...

Did the usual thing had words with health visitor etc, they sort of lamely looked at it said it was his reaction to me (thanks a bunch) I should get out more etc.. But after doing my own research it transpired that the poor soul was reacting to several different food colourants blue being the worse, I took these out of his diet problem solved...

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
You could always get his thyroid checked. Are his hands and feet cold and is he tired also? If it isn't a medical problem it might just be that the boundaries are being pushed to see what happens.