Type 1 Sudden changes/780g

Lovinlife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone!

I am type 1 diabetic diagnosed 8 years ago on the medtronic 780g pump and CGM.

i have always noticed that for a few months here and there I will get very easy to manage blood sugars requiring quite small doses of insulin and then all of a sudden it will change to no amount of insulin will bring down a stubborn high and the only way to manage is to cut carbs and even then fasting sugars are stubborn at 6s and 7s.

When I started the pump I thought my prayers had been answered as I couldnt believe how well controlled I was (averaging in the 6s and low standard deviation) while eating a normal diet. This continued for about 4 months and then bang all of a sufden the slightest sniff of a carb sends me soaring.

I know well how unpredictable diabetes can be and food/illness etc can impact but i just find this so strange that it goes on for months! i changed my insulin and tried different sites but still the same?!

on a traditional pump you can crank up the basal by using temp basals etc how do i do this in automode on the 780g? I have brought active insulin time down to 2hrs 15mins and insulin sensitivity factor is at 0.3 during the day and 2 at night 0.3 is the lowest it will ho to BG targer 4-4.5. I am lost as to what I am doing wrong? Any tips, ideas, suggestions I would greatly appreciate! ☺️

lholland37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone!

I am type 1 diabetic diagnosed 8 years ago on the medtronic 780g pump and CGM.

i have always noticed that for a few months here and there I will get very easy to manage blood sugars requiring quite small doses of insulin and then all of a sudden it will change to no amount of insulin will bring down a stubborn high and the only way to manage is to cut carbs and even then fasting sugars are stubborn at 6s and 7s.

When I started the pump I thought my prayers had been answered as I couldnt believe how well controlled I was (averaging in the 6s and low standard deviation) while eating a normal diet. This continued for about 4 months and then bang all of a sufden the slightest sniff of a carb sends me soaring.

I know well how unpredictable diabetes can be and food/illness etc can impact but i just find this so strange that it goes on for months! i changed my insulin and tried different sites but still the same?!

on a traditional pump you can crank up the basal by using temp basals etc how do i do this in automode on the 780g? I have brought active insulin time down to 2hrs 15mins and insulin sensitivity factor is at 0.3 during the day and 2 at night 0.3 is the lowest it will ho to BG targer 4-4.5. I am lost as to what I am doing wrong? Any tips, ideas, suggestions I would greatly appreciate! ☺️
Hi... wish I had an answer but I have the same question. I am a type 1 and on a Tandem insulin pump. I have been a diabetic for 48 years and have had very out of control blood sugars my entire life. This has caused me MANY health issues such as feeding tubes for gastro problems, neuropathy in both legs and feet with pain and numbness and now starting in my left arm. I also recently had a toe amputation. Because of long term diabetes and high cholesterol I now have a 100% blockage in both leg arteries and I am so scared of more amputations. For the first time I have had great blood sugars being on my new pump. I have been on my pump for 5 months. I have always taken 1 unit of novalog for every 15 carbs but all of a sudden I'm experiencing very scary lows with a rapid drop. I am now taking 1 unit for every 40 carbs. There has been no change whatsoever in my life. Anyone have any ideas on what may be happening?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
There are several reasons BG levels can be erratic and it's not always easy to figure out. You could still have been making some insulin so your needs are going up, but off and on your pancreas still tries to make some. It can take 8 years plus in some people to completely lose the total ability to make insulin. There have been a few people that still make some for over 8 years. It's a process that can really vary in some. Gastroparesis is one that causes a variation in digestion time so some days the same thing won't work. Gastroparesis is usually erratic though, not the same pattern for months, just days or maybe weeks of highs and then normal? Also for me higher fat food on a day and even the next day I need more insulin. Regular exercise helps me need less. Some people start to have issues with the insulin they use, some work better in pumps than others in some people. In that case trying another insulin might work.

Then there is unfortunately an infusion site issue. I am having that problem with Omnipods. Certain lots seem to cause more of an issue. We build up scars, but also our body just reacts to things in it and even rotating doesn't help. With tubed pumps they have different infusion sets you can try to see if it clears up the issue. Longer sets, different materials. Sometimes that works. Most of my pod "failures" aren't total failures. But the second day I start running higher and am doubling my insulin to stay at my normal levels. In my case I switch it out when I notice I am taking extra for the second or third time. Once,maybe twice can be a fluke as it takes extra insulin to come down from a high anyways. But since I know I have issues by the second or third time I am changing it out. So if you think it might be that, Tandem might have samples they can send you to try ,or talk to your doctor about it. Some people never have an issue and others do early on. But not an uncommon problem.

Last edited:

lholland37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Definitely some things that could pertain to me from your response. Things I never thought of that I will definitely address with my dr. Thank you for responding. Very helpful information. You would think after 48 years of this you would have it figured out. Very complicated diese.

Jerryshort

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use 780g pump, too but have found that while on Smartguard there is still a way to increase your basal rates if your BG has risen dangerously high and is not reducing. Go to insulin/delivery settings/basal pattern setup/options/edit and you can increade your basal rates there. It will effect your pump algorithm a bit but it soon adjusts and will limit those annoying highs
Jerry Short