1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

sudden pangs?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by johnme, Oct 6, 2018.

1. johnme

johnme Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm T2 and I've been following a LCHF diet (following weekly regimes on the diet doctor site) for five weeks now with some success. What would bring on sudden sugar/carb cravings? I'm not going to give in to it (I'll drink water!), but I'm puzzled. I've felt it coming on for a couple of days. I have recently upped my exercise a little but nothing enormous.

• Like Like x 2
  2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Are you craving any food in particular? Have you tried any dessert or bread type low carb dishes that could have triggered some addiction problems? I found it hard to not eat a whole plate of keto bread when I made some.. in fact I did eat the whole lot in two sittings.. and that was after 2 1/2 years!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Expert

I found that cravings tended to come in waves but over time these waves became farther apart.

• Like Like x 1
  4. johnme

Thanks for your reply. Just something high carb or sweet or both, I guess. I haven't eaten anything high carb or sweet since the beginning of September. No desserts, no nothing. No bread, no fake bread. I guess during that time I've had half a dozen squares of 90% chocolate over the period but the last of those was a week ago and they're not exactly sweet! I'm sure I have had problems with sugar in the past - not sure if it is addiction because obviously someone who is undiagnosed as T2 (as I think I may have been in much of my adult life and long long before I became overweight) has a funny relationship with sugar/carbs. I don't drink alcohol by the way, so that's not the cause.

You know, I used to love making bread. Especially cholla and pain de campagne. I think I've avoided keto bread for fear of starting all that up again.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bulkbiker

Not sure then ..but it could be the exercise increase. I'd maybe try and dial it back a little until you are more fat adapted and using your dietary and body fat for energy if the cravings become stronger.

• Like Like x 2
  6. johnme

Let's hope it's a wave, as Guzzler suggests. Thanks for turning your mind to it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bulkbiker

Pleasure .. I'm not a great exerciser although got a rush of excess energy about 18 months ago (after 18 months of low carbing) which lasted 3-4 months then subsided, unfortunately after the expensive annual gym membership had been taken out!

• Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook