1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Suddenly having more hypos!

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by backarini, Jul 29, 2020.

1. backarini

backarini Type 1 · Member

Hi everyone,
    About 2 weeks ago I’ve suddenly started having almost daily hypos, down to 2.2 at times, and I can’t pinpoint it on anything!!! My control has always been pretty good (hba1c in early June was 49) but regular evening highs after larger carby meals - but they always come back down again with a correction.
    I’ve been losing weight, 10kg in total lost over the last 11 months or so, so not drastic.
    I’ve reduced my naughty snacking and have been drinking a lot less over the last month, but I’m still eating the same carb portions for meals etc. For example my total insulin is around 30 units basal and between 15-25 units average bolus.
    Is it just a case of keeping a food diary and trying to see if there’s any correlation to anything? Changing my basal down to see if that helps? Or is it common to have a suddenly hormonal shift that improved my insulin sensitivity?
    For info I am 31, and have been pumping for 9 years and on omnipod for 18 months.
    Thanks in advance!!!
    Becky

EDIT: I’m not pregnant - have taken a test and period is regular as clockwork! Sorry TMI!!

#1 backarini, Jul 29, 2020 at 10:39 PM
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  2. dje55

dje55 Type 1 · Member

Have you considered that you might be pregnant? The lows that you are describing could be explained by early pregnancy in women with T1DM.

Just a thought.
    D x

3. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

Any weight loss I've found makes me more insulin sensitive, So that slight weight loss and add less snacks could explain it. But I would adjust your basal down, the best thing would be to do a basal test so you know if that's what it is.

Basal testing
    https://integrateddiabetes.com/basal-testing/

• Agree Agree x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook