Sugar boost

Old salt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My A1C is borderline. I am going to start IV steroid program for thyroid eye disease. This will increase my sugar, so the doctor started me on Jardiance to counter the increase. However, I experienced severe upper abdominal bloating and pain. I don’t know what they’ll try next.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My A1C is borderline. I am going to start IV steroid program for thyroid eye disease. This will increase my sugar, so the doctor started me on Jardiance to counter the increase. However, I experienced severe upper abdominal bloating and pain. I don’t know what they’ll try next.
Hi @Old salt

I'm guessing Graves, due to the eyes? If Jardiance isn't an option for you, you might just try going low carb for a while instead. However, keep in mind that cruciferous veg affect our thyroids, so if you should choose this path, for the duration of the treatment, you might want to steer clear of things like cauliflower, kale and broccoli. Something to check with your doc, as I don't know whether you supplement thyroid hormones at this point or not. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html should help some with the low carb basics. Get thee a meter, so you can see if it has enough effect, or whether other medication may be appropriate for as long as the steroids last.

If I get a jab in my joints, it lasts for about a week, sometimes a little over that, so just go from the assumption that it'll take a while for the steroids to stop messing with your blood sugars even after treatment has stopped, especially since it's an IV program and you're going to be saturated with the stuff down into your bone marrow, most likely. It takes a while to dissipate entirely once you stop.

Good luck!
Jo