Sugar Has A Stronger Effect On Our Brains - Study

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I just came across this article published on 16 August about the study of effect sugar has on the brain. In particular they seem to have discovered that it isn't passive as they though, but seeks sugar.

Of interest:

Our results showed for the first time that essential metabolic and behavioural processes are not regulated via neuronal cells alone, and that other cell types in the brain, such as astrocytes, play a crucial role," explains study leader Matthias Tschöp from the Technical University of Munich.

"This represents a paradigm shift and could help explain why it has been so difficult to find sufficiently efficient and safe medicines for diabetes and obesity until now."

http://www.sciencealert.com/sugar-is-controlling-our-brains-more-than-we-even-realised-study-finds

It will be interesting to see what develops from this research.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's quite an interesting article, because if you extend the thinking further, it kind of helps explain why the LCHF diet perhaps works as well. Once you stop eating carbs and sugar and convince your brain to take in ketones, potentially, the active seeking of "sugar" changes. I'm sure there's a lot more to learn!

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's quite an interesting article, because if you extend the thinking further, it kind of helps explain why the LCHF diet perhaps works as well. Once you stop eating carbs and sugar and convince your brain to take in ketones, potentially, the active seeking of "sugar" changes. I'm sure there's a lot more to learn!

It makes sense that it would change if we change the carb intake in our diets.

I've been watching some documentaries about the availability of processed foods particularly in impoverished areas. Some places in the world have nothing but sugar sold to them as food... places like Mexico, Brazil, India, etc. It's a sad state of affairs as it is almost like the powers that be are wilfully killing off their population.

I found this to be interesting research and I'm sure they will keep researching. I would love to see even better help available than there is now.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This report was recently a news item on this website, on which I made a post about how these cells have an effect on how much glucose or sugar needs to process information to our brain.
I have also read that we don't need too many carbs as our liver would supplement the lack of glucose unless you have a metabolic imbalance.
And how insulinoma or hyperinsulinaemia, having hypos, too much glucose, would effect how we think and the symptoms that occur such as anxiety, forgetfulness, lethargy and many , many more. And why depression in prevalent in T1.

Can someone find the news link?

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This report was recently a news item on this website, on which I made a post about how these cells have an effect on how much glucose or sugar needs to process information to our brain.
I have also read that we don't need too many carbs as our liver would supplement the lack of glucose unless you have a metabolic imbalance.
And how insulinoma or hyperinsulinaemia, having hypos, too much glucose, would effect how we think and the symptoms that occur such as anxiety, forgetfulness, lethargy and many , many more. And why depression in prevalent in T1.

Can someone find the news link?

Thanks :) I haven't seen it anywhere here... but then I don't see everything posted.