1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sugar level

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by carbo, Jun 8, 2011.

1. carbo

carbo · Member

I am on tablets and using a low carbo diet I have maintained a good reading for the last two years. The last HBA1C was 6.2.
    Sudenly, in the last two weeks, no matter what I do I can'r get a reading below 10.I am not ill, that I am aware, I have reduced my carbo diet even further and taken more exercise but still the reading stays high. Any suggestions?

2. jopar

jopar · Well-Known Member

Hi carbo

If you are sure that you are festing an infection, or not suffering an increase of stress (this can also elvate BG's) and a further reduction of carbs, an increase in exercise isn't resolving anything then it it's likely that your medication needs to be reviewed increased and/or changed to reduce your levels...

Sorry welcome to the forum

3. raydavies

raydavies · Well-Known Member

Have you tried testing someone else to make sure it's not your meter going on the fritz?

I had the same thing happen and then found my wife had the same readings!

Ray

4. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

Has anything changed in the past two weeks ? Have you started any new medications, non diabetic related ?

The heat can also affect Bg levels as well as stress. One other thing springs to mind, you say you have reduced your carbs and increased exercise. This will make you very prone to 'liver dumping' which will increase your Bg levels.

When you say your Bg levels are above 10 when is this ? Before meals, after meals or when exactly ?

5. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi

I've had Type 2 for 8 years or so, but earlier on this year whilst travelling to the USA my measured BS shot up for several weeks. It's now back to a similar level as it was before. I found no reason for the sudden change apart from possibly the time shift, so I guess there are times when there are unexplained changes in BS levels which can last for perhaps weeks. I have never found any explanation on the web for these significant changes apart from illness. If it stays high for you then a visit to the GP is obviously needed.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook