Sugar levels and stress!

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This morning I had reading of 5.9. Had usual breakfast, lunch was chicken and cheese. Had a very difficult and stressful day. Got home reading of 7.9! Clearly nothing I had eaten so can raised levels be increased by stress/anxiety to that degree!? I was really quite shocked by this rise!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This morning I had reading of 5.9. Had usual breakfast, lunch was chicken and cheese. Had a very difficult and stressful day. Got home reading of 7.9! Clearly nothing I had eaten so can raised levels be increased by stress/anxiety to that degree!? I was really quite shocked by this rise!
Yes stress can have that impact on your BG. Stress, illness and exercise trigger the same bodily response and it's not uncommon for bloods to rise well out of the target range.

Grant

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Was it less fat than normal? Less carbs? Protein without a few carbs and some far will spike me fast.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Definitely within the realm of what stress can do to my BG. I changed my cancer care team, because being furious at them regularly caused that kind of spike for me.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have been dealing with a GI bug and not eating and my bloods have spiked as high as 9 with no food at all. I ended up in the hospital emergency room getting rehydrated by IV and my blood sugar dropped back to 5.4 as soon as the fluids were in. My BP and pulse rate were also much higher than normal. Stress has a profound effect on the body.