Sugar Substitutes. Which one to use? and why?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Since discovering that some sweeteners are triggers for asthma attacks and found that others can cause digestive upsets have been very wary of them. Have always gone for the sugar rather than diet version of squash, drinks mixers etc. Not that I drink a lot of squash or pop. However, I can, quite literally, taste the difference. Diet Tonic is undrinkable. Such an unpleasant flavour.
But now, I need to reconsider, so am looking for information. No sugar in tea/coffee, no problem there. But for occasional baking, puddings etc. So tell me, which sugar substitite do you use? How did you choose?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since discovering that some sweeteners are triggers for asthma attacks and found that others can cause digestive upsets have been very wary of them. Have always gone for the sugar rather than diet version of squash, drinks mixers etc. Not that I drink a lot of squash or pop. However, I can, quite literally, taste the difference. Diet Tonic is undrinkable. Such an unpleasant flavour.
But now, I need to reconsider, so am looking for information. No sugar in tea/coffee, no problem there. But for occasional baking, puddings etc. So tell me, which sugar substitite do you use? How did you choose?
It's expensive and it has an aftertaste. But erythritol is more do-able for baking/cooking than it is in coffee/tea. And it won't kill gut bacteria. I just tried all sorts and ended up disliking that one the least. Which I suppose doesn't say much for it! There's also a blend of it with stevia, which mitigates the taste a little, but as I don't like the flavour of stevia either... Still curious about Monks fruit, but that is expensive too and unavailable far as I know, in the Netherlands. Can't try what I can't find. ;) Good luck with your search!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use xylitol in tea as it’s the closest to sugar and no aftertaste to me.
In baking I use erythritol as it’s the least likely to provoke a bgl response of all sugar alcohols. Both bulk bought on amazon.

Occasionally the erythritol is blended with stevia but I hate the aftertaste of stevia so avoid these
I bought monk fruit drops which were very expensive and they tasted just like stevia with an awful aftertaste again.
I steer completely clear of anything with maltitol as it spikes me as bad as sugar

I try and avoid all artificial sweeteners eg in drinks but with the sugar tax it’s harder than ever. Aspartame and ace k (eg in Pepsi) spike me. Sucralose seems to be ok though.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am using Stevia at the moment. I use it in tea and in cooking where appropriate.

I have come across no after effects at all.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It's expensive and it has an aftertaste. But erythritol is more do-able for baking/cooking than it is in coffee/tea. And it won't kill gut bacteria. I just tried all sorts and ended up disliking that one the least. Which I suppose doesn't say much for it! There's also a blend of it with stevia, which mitigates the taste a little, but as I don't like the flavour of stevia either... Still curious about Monks fruit, but that is expensive too and unavailable far as I know, in the Netherlands. Can't try what I can't find. ;) Good luck with your search!
Have decided to try sucralose first, or else to use flour substitutes and low sugar recipes. but this will not be happening immediately. Life is a bit complicatd a the moment, no time for baking, but I can dream.

Reactions: Prem51

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I use xylitol in tea as it’s the closest to sugar and no aftertaste to me.
In baking I use erythritol as it’s the least likely to provoke a bgl response of all sugar alcohols. Both bulk bought on amazon.

Occasionally the erythritol is blended with stevia but I hate the aftertaste of stevia so avoid these
I bought monk fruit drops which were very expensive and they tasted just like stevia with an awful aftertaste again.
I steer completely clear of anything with maltitol as it spikes me as bad as sugar

I try and avoid all artificial sweeteners eg in drinks but with the sugar tax it’s harder than ever. Aspartame and ace k (eg in Pepsi) spike me. Sucralose seems to be ok though.
Sucralose sounds best to me too.
The terrible taste of aspartame, and the side effects on my children made me very wary of all sweeteners.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sucralose sounds best to me too.
The terrible taste of aspartame, and the side effects on my children made me very wary of all sweeteners.
Sucralose is still artificial if that’s a concern whereas the sugar alcohols and stevia aren’t. Also check for any other bulking agents if using a powder/granular one. Maltodexrin is often added and is a sugar !

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
which sugar substitite do you use? How did you choose?

None.

Putting something sweet in your mouth triggers an Insulin response, and putting Insulin into your system for no good reason is unlikely to help with insulin resistance.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have erythritol, powdered and granular. I won't have xylitol in the house as it is deadly to furry creatures. Husband is highly allergic to malt so that rules out most Stevia products. I have some lakanto monk fruit but not tried it yet. Aspartame rules out most fizzy drinks as I find the taste disgusting.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
None.

Putting something sweet in your mouth triggers an Insulin response, and putting Insulin into your system for no good reason is unlikely to help with insulin resistance.
You may not have noticed I said occasional use.

D

Deleted member 308541

My partner uses raw sugar she gets from the sugar refinery.
I forgot to say that I do not use sugar or sweeteners at all, that includes the cakes and other sweet stuff my partner makes.

Edit: Typo.

Last edited by a moderator:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The best one to use is Monk Fruit / Luo han guo, it doesn't spike your blood glucose levels and is much better in comparison to other natural sugar alternatives on the market as it hasn't been shown to produce any gastrointestinal distress. Most companies tend to bulk their Monk Fruit powders with other natural sweeteners but then get side effects.

I have the lakanto drops bought at quite a price. They are awful. Have a really strong aftertaste like stevia imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Stevia for drinks, tea, coffee, almond milk drinks etc.

Erythritol for baking stuff.

It's just a matter of personal taste on some things.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
I use sorbitol, it suits me the most and the reviews are good

Careful that can have some pretty hardcore laxative effect.