sugar tax and hypo treatment

Angusc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The sugar tax is going to mess with all the sweet things used to treat hypo's as they will reduce the amount of sugar or the portion sizes and I bet the manufacturers do not announce this

Angusc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
in the old days before pump I used to have 3+ hypo's per month most which was so low I crawled and slid down the stairs to get to kitchen on auto pilot to get food from the kitchen and would automatically eat or drink enough to get me as functioning from 54 years of diabetes my brain had hardwired what would work with out needing to think about it, if the change the food values majorly this will no longer work, and a lot of other people use sweet drinks to do the same

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if I remember correctly, only sugary soft drinks are being taxed, and in two bands of tax depending on the sugar content, would Coke-a-cola reduce the sugar content of it's 'full-fat' version just to come in on the lower tax bracket? I doubt it, not when they have plenty of other sugar free variants already out there. I can see the accountants crunching some big numbers as to whether to add the tax on to the 'full-fat' and then either reduce can size or incorporate some across the board price increase that's balances out their profit when sales of the 'full-fat' version nose dives.

Lucazade did drop it's sugar content some time ago and has caught out a few insulin dependant diabetics trying to treat hypos.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lucozade is my preferred hypo treatment as it is so easy to get down, especially in the middle of the night. Yet again paying the price for being diabetic!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lucozade is my preferred hypo treatment as it is so easy to get down, especially in the middle of the night. Yet again paying the price for being diabetic!

Be aware they have halved the sugar content...

ManUtdGal!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty!
I always have Sugar Cubes in an airtight box for times I have no Lucozade. One sugar cube is approximately 5 grams of carbohydrates so only need 3. They dissolve in your mouth too. Very handy to have and not as powdery as glucose tablets. One cube is equivalent to one teaspoon of granulated sugar.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How much will this "sugar tax" bump up the price of a Coke out of a vending machine. BTW I almost always use apple juice at home if I get low. And BTW another good low snack is good old V-8 juice, 70 cal/can and for me it works as fast as anything. The Big Bad Gubment ain't gonna tax V-8 juice. Is this tax supposed to thin out all the fat kids in England? lol