1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sugar testing

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by alphabeta, Sep 16, 2017.

1. alphabeta

alphabeta Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello
    How many times do you check your sugar per day? How many is too much?

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Pump says I'm testing 9 times on average.

How much is too much, 20 times might be classed as excessive but it depends on what your trying to achieve by testing too much.

3. deborabaratto

deborabaratto Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey @alphabeta I'm a type 1 and I usually check my blood sugar 8 - 10 times a day. It's quite a lot but I like to make sure I'm not hypoing and all :)

4. Wayne78

Wayne78 Type 2 · Active Member

• for me it is twice,however, it is base on your current situation and the need for data.
    • check it first in morning, before each meal and 2 hours after each meal.
    • rhis will provide you with vital information on which type of food affects your BSL,also keep a log of the foods and the readings

5. alphabeta

It isn't too much don't worry:)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Vidgren

Vidgren Type 2 · Active Member

Being a dietcontrolled type 2 i check like once a day. Some days i dont bother checking at all and somedays i check 2-3 times.

7. Robert_D

Robert_D Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @alphabeta Great question.
    Just an opinion but I hope including a suggestion on your question that provides further data, might be of additional benefit?.
    The answers to your question "How many times do you check your sugar per day? How many is too much?" can only be fully appreciated once those answers have been allocated into their respective type 1's or type 2' groupings, and whether on insulin regimes or on meds or on diet only etc. If the answers don't include their diabetic status (Type 1, Type 2 or Other) and what if any current medical regime is as part of their answer than those answers in isolation are not going to be as helpful as the question first posed might initially appear.
    Might I suggest that respondents to this question answer with additional data like whether they are on Insulin or meds (Metformin etc) or diet only and if they test "X" times if they could qualify why "X" times? Obviously if it is in anticipation of their insulin shot dosage or if they are checking re BG control reaction to certain foods consumed or whether one is testing to know if they might suffer from potential high Blood Glucose levels before undertaking formal follow up testings, than the reason for testing and the amount of times one checks makes more sense when trying to understand the reasons why people test so many or not so many times rather than just reading random numbers in isolation.. As I say, just a suggestion but still a great question.

#7 Robert_D, Sep 30, 2017 at 12:15 AM
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  8. alphabeta

I'm type 1 diabetic since 2009 I'm not sure what is my current insulinregime since I'm using Lantus and Premix..I test around 7 times a day

• Like Like x 1
  9. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

On basal/bolus injections. Now I use the Libre, but before I tested at least twelve times a day. Waking up, before an after food (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack) and before bed, which makes ten times. And then for driving and highs and lows.

10. alphabeta

I see I think that number is okayish

11. lou258

lou258 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’m a t1 and I test around 6-8 times a day. Mentioned to gp nurse and she said that was too much - however as I’m newly diagnosed I feel the more info I have on how i respond to various meals etc the better.
    I figure it’s our own fingertips to its up to us ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. alphabeta

Very true and it isn't too much at all tge nurse is speaking from an economic perspective only

• Like Like x 1
  13. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I'm type 2 and when I first got my meter I was testing eight times a day for exactly the same reason, to learn. I am not insulin dependant but I still test before and after meals.
    You must do as many or as few as you are comfortable with.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook