Type 2 Sugar through the skin

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
After making some jam (we have a glut of plums) I had an unusually high reading of 7 at 2 hrs post prandial,which is almost unheard of for me. I had cut the plums prior to cooking and eaten a supper that I have had many times before with no problems. I washed my hands and tested and repeated the test and washing three times on different fingers just to make sure it wasn't a rogue reading.
I know the skin is there to keep things out of the body, but is it possible that some sugar could have been partially absorbed by the skin?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I wondered this, this week. I make cakes and puds for my cancer therapy cafe and thought my levels went higher after making these things.

I am a T1 though, so also have to think of insulin and other activities that coukd be affecting it.

So this week I did no licking of whisks, no bowl licking etc... **** near killed me-lol!!

Still went higher.... I too was convinced this week that even touching these ingredients despite scrubbing hands is affecting my levels.

I've never scrutinised this before (30+ years) but when nirmal days dont have this affect, and pretty routine life now... well, this week of just touching and drooling has actually convinced me I do get sugar through skin....

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I think cooking can affect BG. I used to work in a residential house divided in to flats for four service users who would be supported by four staff - and we each took it in turns to cook. My BG was always substantially higher on the days when I was cooking even though I took in my carb counted food from home and didn't eat what I was cooking. I always thought it was a bit strange so I'm glad other people have had the same experience.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After making some jam (we have a glut of plums) I had an unusually high reading of 7 at 2 hrs post prandial,which is almost unheard of for me. I had cut the plums prior to cooking and eaten a supper that I have had many times before with no problems. I washed my hands and tested and repeated the test and washing three times on different fingers just to make sure it wasn't a rogue reading.
I know the skin is there to keep things out of the body, but is it possible that some sugar could have been partially absorbed by the skin?
It's possible maybe (I'm not sure).. one of the tricks for avoiding cramps on a keto diet is to have a bath with epsom salts so the magnesium gets absorbed through the skin.. maybe the same can happen with sugar?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It's possible maybe (I'm not sure).. one of the tricks for avoiding cramps on a keto diet is to have a bath with epsom salts so the magnesium gets absorbed through the skin.. maybe the same can happen with sugar?

Oh my, you are right!! I used to have epsom salt baths for absorbancy. Also wear b12 transdermal patches on skin for better absorbancy... so sugar despite the washes could still be absorbed!!

No way can I wear rubber glives for cooking!!-lol....

Never gave that a thought!! Oh cripes!!

So glad someone else thought this, this week. I just thought it was another of my individual blips!!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nicotine Replacement patches work by transfer through skin, Skin breathes, and we perspire through it, I think acetone passes through it when in DKA. HRT patches, and steroid creams do too. Not sure if sugar will transfer, but maybe glucose or icing sugar may. I mean, alcohol is used for embalming (Lord Nelson?) and pickling so it passes the skin barrier, but may not get as far as entering the blood.

The Glucowatch used skin sensing technology, but was not very successful as a product. There is rumour of a HeroSmart sensor that will read bgl levels without pricking the skin, but it seems to use magic juju to give the reading, so not sure about this claim

zbluebirdz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could it be the sweet smell/fumes of the cooking/baking of sugary foods causing the body to react?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Could it be the sweet smell/fumes of the cooking/baking of sugary foods causing the body to react?

Dont think so, my yummy cheesecakes for others are no bake whoc choc n lime!! Easy peasy but no cooking..

Def would be transfer through skin for most of my baking.. although cakes are done I also usually take heaped bowls of fruit salad and the juices from cutting that up are all over fingers and hands. Despite scrubbing.. my cgm monitor whizzes upward quite soon after...

Blimey, thanks for the realisation on this!!

Vhm1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can't figure out how to post it here, but I saw an article/post on Facebook dated July 19, 2017. The post was originally from Jeffrey Brewer who is in some way tied to Abbott and using the Libre. He link to information from a lecture by a Dr. Jeffrey Brewer that contained slides, "clean hands" and "effect of handling fruit on BG." The stats were pretty startling and not in a good way. If you can find the information on line you may want to take a look. Good luck!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
That probably accounts for my high bg after preparing meals at work as I'd almost always do a massive bowl of fruit salad for supper.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe sugar is absorbed into the skin enough to affect the meter reading, even after washing, rather than actually getting into the blood stream. Even the smallest amount of sugar getting directly to the test strip would have a large effect compared with the same amount diluted in 5 litres of blood.

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Maybe sugar is absorbed into the skin enough to affect the meter reading, even after washing, rather than actually getting into the blood stream. Even the smallest amount of sugar getting directly to the test strip would have a large effect compared with the same amount diluted in 5 litres of blood.

This is what I had been thinking. I prepared 6lbs of plums and all my fingers were badly stained...something had soaked in! Next morning my reading was back to normal.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
This reuters one is using a blood meter, and I understood blood readings could be affected by tiny miniscule amounts that may not get washed off but this is actually entering my blood system and showing raises (quite sharp ones) on my CGM so the sugar does appear to enter the whole blood system (for me).

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This reuters one is using a blood meter, and I understood blood readings could be affected by tiny miniscule amounts that may not get washed off but this is actually entering my blood system and showing raises (quite sharp ones) on my CGM so the sugar does appear to enter the whole blood system (for me).
Was the CGM running while food was being prepared. If so then how does the spike you report correlate to the activity? If not then this suggests an experiment yet to be done, You have the tools already/

Edit to add: The OP appears to be using conventional blood letting,hence the need to wash hands before testing. The Reuters report shows that using an alcohol wipe does not by itself lead to sugar free fingers. I have seen similar comments when using a scented handwash type of soap.

Last edited:
Reactions: HelenHak

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Was the CGM running while food was being prepared. If so then how does the spike you report correlate to the activity? If not then this suggests an experiment yet to be done, You have the tools already/

Edit to add: The OP appears to be using conventional blood letting,hence the need to wash hands before testing. The Reuters report shows that using an alcohol wipe does not by itself lead to sugar free fingers. I have seen similar comments when using a scented handwash type of soap.

Cgm on before during and after., all the time and every week when I prepare its the same thing.. however... I normally lick bowls and put it down to just licking the cream and cheese! Never the choc bowl.... I did find it strange as only no carbs in philli cheese or cream... didnt even think of the fruit.

Only thought strange this week so decided to not lick the bowls/whisk and still went higher... I mean a jump from 5 to 10.0 within 30 mins..... normally good at these times on other days..

Think I will try with surgical gloves when I can scrounge some....

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am usure as to weather sugar can be absorbed via the skin the orthodox answer is a definite no.

But I am sure many chemicals can be absorbed and as Insulin most definitely can be absorbed via the skin why not sugar.