Sugars in foods

Deskdoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Your relationship with food has changed, the adjustment can be difficult, but with a little flair you'll rediscover new textures and flavours on a much healthier level.

Try cheesy almond sticks! As for pasta sauce try salt n pepper, fresh tomatoes, garlic, onion, fresh basil, origano a pinch of splender and a little spill of cream on a bed of zoodles (courgette spaghetti)
Hi Daks, I'm recently diagnosed and you're right I'm finding the adjustment very difficult. I've emptied my store cupboards (gave it all to my daughter)
and I'm trying to follow everyone's advice on eating but my head is cabbaged! NHS apparently give me duff gen on eating carbs and there is so much on this site I don't know where to start, might just give up eating and go to bed for a few days. LOL

On a serious note cheesy sticks sound good, made or bought? How or where? Zoodles, presumably made, how? Hope you don't mind me asking.

Regards, the Doll

If you're interested diagnosed last month, steroid induced T2. I'm 68, HbA1c 88

Reactions: 2 people

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
Hi Daks, I'm recently diagnosed and you're right I'm finding the adjustment very difficult. I've emptied my store cupboards (gave it all to my daughter)
and I'm trying to follow everyone's advice on eating but my head is cabbaged! NHS apparently give me duff gen on eating carbs and there is so much on this site I don't know where to start, might just give up eating and go to bed for a few days. LOL

On a serious note cheesy sticks sound good, made or bought? How or where? Zoodles, presumably made, how? Hope you don't mind me asking.

Regards, the Doll

If you're interested diagnosed last month, steroid induced T2. I'm 68, HbA1c 88
hi, and welcome to the elite! I've found so much helpful dietary info on this site and I've learned to adapt ordinary recipes too. I use ground almonds /almond flour instead of ordinary flour in baking now. Also if you want a substitute for rice, grate up a cauliflower and then just steam it gently for a couple of minutes. You can substitute thinly sliced courgettes for pasta - I've seen a machine that makes it into spaghetti like lengths but that's extra expense! Its all about being inventive and sharing good ideas, i think. Good luck

Reactions: 3 people

Deskdoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
hi, and welcome to the elite! I've found so much helpful dietary info on this site and I've learned to adapt ordinary recipes too. I use ground almonds /almond flour instead of ordinary flour in baking now. Also if you want a substitute for rice, grate up a cauliflower and then just steam it gently for a couple of minutes. You can substitute thinly sliced courgettes for pasta - I've seen a machine that makes it into spaghetti like lengths but that's extra expense! Its all about being inventive and sharing good ideas, i think. Good luck
Thanks Mandy, do you steam the courgette as well?

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
Either steam or microwave......and only a little otherwise as LucySW says,it turns to mush - still edible but not so attractive!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't cook my courgette noodles if you are coating them in a sauce or using them for spag Bol the heat from the sauce will soften them enough without making them watery. You can toss them in melted butter for about 30 seconds if you like but don't salt them as this will draw moisture from them. I eat them almost everyday so I've tried lots of ways cooking them and what I have recommended are the most successful

Reactions: 4 people

Deskdoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I don't cook my courgette noodles if you are coating them in a sauce or using them for spag Bol the heat from the sauce will soften them enough without making them watery. You can toss them in melted butter for about 30 seconds if you like but don't salt them as this will draw moisture from them. I eat them almost everyday so I've tried lots of ways cooking them and what I have recommended are the most successful
Many thanks for the advice Love

Reactions: 2 people