Suggestions for the best tasting low carb milk for my much loved cuppa...??

Tourettes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi forum, newbie here and just starting out on the LCHF plan.. After 2 days already seen bg drop significantly... Trying to wrestle myself self away from carbs and would really appreciate your suggestions for lowest carb/ best tasting milk for my cuppa...??

Kind Regards

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I'm a complete beginner to low carbing so have only just started reading here, but I have tried milk alternatives before when I went vegan for a while. I found none really suited my taste in tea, so I went to black tea instead (start fairly weak if you want to try it). I gather black tea is known to have some benefits for the cardiovascular system (Dr Google said so!) so it's a bonus for health improvement too - the health benefits only come with black tea though, not with milk in. I had to work at it but I do prefer it without milk now.

Of the milk alternatives soya tasted best to me but usually curdled, some other people may have suggestions as to how to prevent that though.

I have noticed that a lot of people use cream instead of milk, and I'm sure there are cream alternatives that taste good in tea and coffee as well - my experiments didn't get that far!

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The lacto-free milk such as the one made by Arla Foods has around half the carbs of standard milk, don't know if this would fit in with your LCHF diet.

Reactions: 6 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The lacto-free milk such as the one made by Arla Foods has around half the carbs of standard milk, don't know if this would fit in with your LCHF diet.
I use this, although I only have a dash of milk in my tea so don't bother counting it's carbs. Lasts for at least a month too :)

Tourettes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all very much... I will try all of your suggestions, my partner bought for me almond milk which doesn't seem right... Black tea in the morning... Thanks again...

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Definately try the different options and Im sure you will find one you like, personally I use cream.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It will depend on how much milk you have in your tea, and how many cups.

Personally I use skimmed milk, but only a splash.

It's not something I would obsess about, there are plenty of other non essential carbs you can remove from your diet.

Reactions: 4 people

maisiepug

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
idiots who think they know everything but they really know nothing
I must be a strange one, full fat milk does not spike me at all and so I can still enjoy it in my coffee. It just goes to show how different
we all are.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have a tsp of double cream in mine.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends on how much tea etc you drink but a dash of milk is not going to put the carbs up very much. I have semi skimmed milk or Lactose free which does not taste any different to normal milk and my husband also T2 makes his porridge with it.. I could not have any milk substitutes like almond and soya in my cuppa I remember in a Chinese restaurant once I asked for English tea and it came with cream it was horrible I don't even like cream in coffee

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have black tea with a slice of lemon ,it has no effect on my BGS and takes away the bitterness of the tea
CAROL

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried cream but it still has (I think) quite high carbs,.. I use the Alpro Wholebean Soya milk which has I think 0.2g of carb per 100ml so is very low. Its not quite the same as the full fat milk I used it enjoy in my tea but it works ok for me. Also use it in my latte's just beware that most coffee shops only have sweetened soya milk so check before having one there.. I usually ask to see the container to check on the carb levels.. get some funny looks sometimes but I'm the customer...I also tried the Almond milk but it didn't quite cut the mustard..or taste right..

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
The average cup of teas only has about 15 mL of milk. Using regular full fat milk, that only corresponds to about 0.7 grams of carbs.

Don't sweat too much over the small things. Save your energy for avoiding the really high sources of carbs, like bread and grains etc. :)

Reactions: 4 people