Suitable shakes for Newcastle Diet.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Everything you need to know about the Taylor ND research is in the link in my signature.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe that Professor Taylor amended the recommendations to include oil when he realised that such a low fat diet raised the risk of gall stones after the diet.

Most people add olive oil to their veg portion, from what I have read on here.

That's my understanding too. The added oil is an enhancement to the original plan.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I unthinkable you need to use q browser, not the app, unless it's in a setting somewhere. I don't routinely used the app.

It's a combination of browser settings, and also embedded servers here and there. And possibly some other stuff that means I get the BBC.

Last edited by a moderator:

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

An interesting paper he wrote only last year.
To answer the op, (seems to be) no mention of oil, and with regard to shakes,

'An alternative liquid food supplement of similar calorific content is equally suitable. These are
available from most local supermarkets; you should try several brands to find one most suited to your
taste. Do not be concerned by the high sugar content as after the first day of very low calorie diet your
body is able to handle this reasonably well.'

The reply from Prof Taylor on FAQ's is well worth a read.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/documents/Diabetes-Reversaloftype2studyJune15.pdf

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
An interesting paper he wrote only last year.
To answer the op, (seems to be) no mention of oil, and with regard to shakes,

'An alternative liquid food supplement of similar calorific content is equally suitable. These are
available from most local supermarkets; you should try several brands to find one most suited to your
taste. Do not be concerned by the high sugar content as after the first day of very low calorie diet your
body is able to handle this reasonably well.'

The reply from Prof Taylor on FAQ's is well worth a read.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/documents/Diabetes-Reversaloftype2studyJune15.pdf
Excellent, glad you managed to find it. Everything anyone needs to know about the research is there.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Excellent, glad you managed to find it. Everything anyone needs to know about the research is there.

It does appear to blow away the supposition, and hopefully will be very useful to the op.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The recommendation about adding oil came directly from the Optifast website:

http://www.optifast.com.au/Optifast-VLCD/How-Optifast-VLCD-works

Quote from the Intensive Phase:
This Phase is designed for rapid, initial, effective weight loss. The only sources of nutrition during this Phase are 3 Optifast® VLCD™ Products and two cups of low starch vegetables, plus one teaspoon of oil, providing less than 800 calories per day. Two litres of water should also be consumed each day.

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The recommendation about adding oil came directly from the Optifast website:

http://www.optifast.com.au/Optifast-VLCD/How-Optifast-VLCD-works

Quote from the Intensive Phase:
This Phase is designed for rapid, initial, effective weight loss. The only sources of nutrition during this Phase are 3 Optifast® VLCD™ Products and two cups of low starch vegetables, plus one teaspoon of oil, providing less than 800 calories per day. Two litres of water should also be consumed each day.

I've no idea how the Optifast Australian market compares to the Newcastle Diet. I was just going on all the links provided for the UK above. As I said, I've no issues with gallstones, and no idea how the UK compare with the Australian population, and their normal diet. I'll probably not go for the added oil.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've no idea how the Optifast Australian market compares to the Newcastle Diet. I was just going on all the links provided for the UK above. As I said, I've no issues with gallstones, and no idea how the UK compare with the Australian population, and their normal diet. I'll probably not go for the added oil.

Optifast shakes were used in the original Newcastle Diet study, so one assumes the people taking part read their documentation and packaging instructions.

One teaspoon of olive oil scares you? Wow. That's pretty extreme lipophobia.

How do you know you don't have gallstones? Most abdominal ultrasounds find them, even if they're "silent"/symptomless for the person who has them.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Optifast shakes were used in the original Newcastle Diet study, so one assumes the people taking part read their documentation and packaging instructions.

One teaspoon of olive oil scares you? Wow. That's pretty extreme lipophobia.

How do you know you don't have gallstones? Most abdominal ultrasounds find them, even if they're "silent"/symptomless for the person who has them.

Yes, terrified.
(Or, alternatively, I just don't think I need it, and you can't get your head round it, so you resort to insults?)

Either way, I'll be fine, without needing your approval.
And I'd be doing the UK instructions on this site, not the Australian, I don't need to trawl the world to find the one answer I like.
https://www.nestlehealthscience.co.uk/Products/optifast
https://www.nestlehealthscience.co....s/products/data-sheets/data card optifast.pdf

(well strictly speaking, I'll be ignoring whatever it says in the local language on the stuff I use, and doing it anyway, but that's a different discussion, and doesn't apply to the op)

Back on track for the op eh?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had symptom free small grain of sand type gallstones. Did Newcastle diet using Lipotrim meal replacements, no veg, no oil. Gallstones expanded to size of walnuts. Gallbladder ruptured during routine surgery. Almost died.
Just saying