Sukkarto Question

PaulaB1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good evening all,

T1D here, 20+ years.

I have, this week, started taking sukkarto am and pm to go with my usual routine of Levemir and Novorapid.

No issues with blood levels etc but wow, I feel wiped out! I am struggling to walk a flight of stairs at work and have had to literally lie down regularly today whilst carrying out basic household chores. I feel breathless, fatigued, just “off”

Does anyone have similar experience? Could you please share if you do, and especially advise if it eases off with persistence!

Thank you in advance.

Paula

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Were you on Metformin previous to this, or is this a new addition to your treatment entirely?

Sukkarto is in fact the same active ingredient as Metformin but is packaged up in a different coating to make it slow release. Metformin ER is the normal extended release which uses cellulose to delay its action, but then there is also the XR version that has a different coating to give prolonged release,
Sukkarto is a new experiment that uses shellac as the enteric coating. Shellac is a varnish usually used by artists to protect their works, and by the chinese as a varnish on delicate porcelain. It is normally dissolved using methylated spirits. In my experience this coating actually stopped the pills from dissolving entirely, and I saw a jump in bgl levels, so I went back to my GP and got put back on standard Metformin.

I did not experience the effects you are seeing though, so it may be a reaction to the active ingredient in Metformin. Otherwise the pills should be the same apart from the coatings and fillers..

Edit to add: shellac is used in the confectionary industry as a glaze, so is safe when eaten.

PaulaB1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated!

This is a brand new addition entirely. It’s Sukkarto SR , I must admit, I’m not noticing much difference with blood sugar levels just yet either. I have had an extremely healthy week too, so there’s no apparent cause of such fatigue and breathlessness.

Interested to see you returned to Metformin in its original form. Did you notice an improvement with your blood sugars once you returned to it?

Thank you again for your comments.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated!

This is a brand new addition entirely. It’s Sukkarto SR , I must admit, I’m not noticing much difference with blood sugar levels just yet either. I have had an extremely healthy week too, so there’s no apparent cause of such fatigue and breathlessness.

Interested to see you returned to Metformin in its original form. Did you notice an improvement with your blood sugars once you returned to it?

Thank you again for your comments.
Actually I noticed a rise when I started Sukkarto, but this dropped back to regular levels after I reverted bcak to standard Metformin. A year later and my levels are still low, but I have also reduced my Metformin dose by 50%.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all,

T1D here, 20+ years.

I have, this week, started taking sukkarto am and pm to go with my usual routine of Levemir and Novorapid.

No issues with blood levels etc but wow, I feel wiped out! I am struggling to walk a flight of stairs at work and have had to literally lie down regularly today whilst carrying out basic household chores. I feel breathless, fatigued, just “off”

Does anyone have similar experience? Could you please share if you do, and especially advise if it eases off with persistence!

Thank you in advance.

Paula
@PaulaB1980 not to worry you but have you read the side effects of these tablets as breathlessness is highlighted as being a serious one which may require medical attention for possible lactic acidosis?

PaulaB1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I read the literature a while ago but didn’t expect it might apply to me, especially not the serious reaction.

Hmmm... I haven’t taken today’s dose and will try to speak with my Doctor tomorrow to see what he suggests.

Thank you both for your advice. You’ve helped me a great deal, thank you.