Sukkarto

butterfly 60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks
Sory for long post...
I used to be on glucophage sr 100mg x2 then when I moved house my new surgery gave me sukkarto!
I was away abroad for 3months and had no meds so became very ill. Blood test showed 84. Roll forward 3 months of being on sukkarto and Jardiance and there is no change 85 now. I have however lost 15 kg in 8months! Review nurse said gp wants me to take dapagliflozin as last resort to lower bgl. With the other meds . When I was on glucophage I had good control of bgl. I still feel really ill, fatigue, painful swollen joints and general low mood! I am fed up. Ive had t2 for 13 years and never been so unwell. Does anyone else have highs being on sukkarto?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @butterfly 60 and welcome to the forum. Sukkato and Glucophage are both trade names for Metformin. The only difference is that some are slow release others not, so may be worth checking if that is the difference. I can’t comment on the other meds you have.
Metformin alone is very unlikely to completely control your blood sugars so what diet were you eating before you went abroad compared to what you eat now.
I think you need to consult someone about your weight loss, it might be that you should be tested for type 1 just incase.

butterfly 60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @butterfly 60 and welcome to the forum. Sukkato and Glucophage are both trade names for Metformin. The only difference is that some are slow release others not, so may be worth checking if that is the difference. I can’t comment on the other meds you have.
Metformin alone is very unlikely to completely control your blood sugars so what diet were you eating before you went abroad compared to what you eat now.
I think you need to consult someone about your weight loss, it might be that you should be tested for type 1 just incase.
Thanks for reply, I eat a general low carb diet, I used to test bg when first diagnosed but found I was obsessing numbers, so dont home test cuz I know what spikes my bg. Perhaps my diabetes has changed but the new gp surgery do not seem that pro active in getting to the bottom of my pain Issues just blaming high levels

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome to the forum @butterfly 60
As already mentioned sukkarto and glucophage are just Metformin by other names.
Metformin will not reduce the sugar that got into your blood from your diet.
Metformin works by reducing the amount of glucose your liver releases into your blood, it can do nothing about the glucose that comes from the carbs in you eat. For that you would need one of the stronger drugs, or insulin.
If you could give us an idea of what your diet looks like , we may be able to make suggestions that will help lower your levels. 'Eating generally low carb' doesn't give us much idea of your daily carb intake or if there's any room for manoeuvre.

Reactions: JAT1 and Rachox

butterfly 60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum @butterfly 60
As already mentioned sukkarto and glucophage are just Metformin by other names.
Metformin will not reduce the sugar that got into your blood from your diet.
Metformin works by reducing the amount of glucose your liver releases into your blood, it can do nothing about the glucose that comes from the carbs in you eat. For that you would need one of the stronger drugs, or insulin.
If you could give us an idea of what your diet looks like , we may be able to make suggestions that will help lower your levels. 'Eating generally low carb' doesn't give us much idea of your daily carb intake or if there's any room for manoeuvre.
Well breakfast either poached egg or branflakes or 2 weetabix no sugar on that, lunch either sandwich of ham and salad, or sometimes an apple or banana evening meal fresh cooked meat or chicken green veg sometimes plain boiled potatoes 2 small ones or a plain jacket potato, sometimes a small pot greekstyle yoguart, and water throughout the day, I have ibs so not to much greens or onions or apples.oh and cheese is off my menu.i dont eat processed food. So if you can tell me where im going wrong...... I have struggled all my life to get weight down so thats why this last 8 months has been strange as loosing kgs is odd for me

• Informative
Reactions: JAT1

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Ok , so lots of room to cut carbs, most of what you have listed is high carb.
Bran flakes, Weetabix, sandwiches (bread), potatoes, fruit.
All carbohydrates when digested release glucose into the blood, sugar is just another form of carbohydrate.
For example a 30g serving of your bran flakes has something like 20 grams of carbohydrates,
One teaspoon of sugar has 4 grams , so 30g of bran flakes is the same as 5 teaspoons of sugar,
Milk also has sugar in it called lactose, just a 100 ml has the equivalent of another spoonful.
Thing is , the reason we have trouble losing weight is because as T2s we can't use all that glucose for energy, instead of getting used to feed us it just hangs around in our blood and eventually gets stored away as fat.

Lakeslover

Jardiance is the trade name for empaglifloxin. Empaglifloxin can help weight loss because it works by getting your kidneys to extract the sugar, therefore you are storing less. Although you have lost quite a lot of weight, so I agree it’s worth discussing with your medical team.

you certainly have room to cut some carbs out from your diet and improve your blood sugars. However a word of warning. On this drug you shouldn‘T go very low carb as it can occasionally lead to a form of ketoacidosis.

I haven’t taken Sukarno myself, however I‘m sure I have seen posts on here from others who were unable to tolerate this drug because of side effects such as muscle pains. You could try asking for a different brand of Metformin and see if your symptoms improve.

• Agree
Reactions: Tinasammie and saky

butterfly 60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for info, so what is a typical days diet that you eat? Maybe there are things I can do

butterfly 60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jardiance is the trade name for empaglifloxin. Empaglifloxin can help weight loss because it works by getting your kidneys to extract the sugar, therefore you are storing less. Although you have lost quite a lot of weight, so I agree it’s worth discussing with your medical team.

you certainly have room to cut some carbs out from your diet and improve your blood sugars. However a word of warning. On this drug you shouldn‘T go very low carb as it can occasionally lead to a form of ketoacidosis.

I haven’t taken Sukarno myself, however I‘m sure I have seen posts on here from others who were unable to tolerate this drug because of side effects such as muscle pains. You could try asking for a different brand of Metformin and see if your symptoms improve.
When I was on glucophage sr my bg was under 50 but since taking sukkarto for 3 months it stayed at 85. Not happy as I think because of the cost this new surgery is using cheaper generic brand.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
We are more sensitive to carbs first thing in the morning so if I have any breakfast it will be something like an omelette or bacon and eggs, no carbs .
I don't have much bread and when I do it will be the lowest carb version I can find. For lunch lots of meats, salads , cheese, the sort of thing you would have on a sandwich but more of it without the bread. Main meals are pretty much as they were before T2, just cut out the starchy stuff like spuds , pasta and rice and have more of the good stuff

Reactions: butterfly 60

butterfly 60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just wnteed to let everyone know after gp consultation they agreed to change me back to glucophage sr.
I am slowly feeling alot better. Blood test in 3 months.

Reactions: Antje77