Summer footwear & Neuropathy?

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have a look at the brogues clarks have brought out for the summer. They have a white pair with cut outs in the sides-they are supposed to go with anything but they do lok really good with a pair of cropped trousers :)

Reactions: 2 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try 'Cosyfeet' website. Some of the styles are very acceptable, even nice!

N

NicolaB70

Hi, like you I live in trainers all throughout the year for many years now as I find it very difficult to find footwear that I can wear as I'm disabled with walking problems. With the warmer weather coming I wanted something else to wear as I'm fed up with socks and trainers. I saw the Sketchers shoes advert on TV and did quite a bit of research by reading reviews and asking on here about them. After a lot of humming and arghing wondering if I could walk in them, I brought a pair. They were delivered Wednesday and I wore them yesterday for the 1st time. They are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. They are very light and I can honestly say it doesn't feel like your wearing shoes. The soles are like a trainers but the uppers are similar to canvas. They come in all different styles and colours. Mine are the go walk 2. They are pricey but are well worth it for the comfort. The only thing I found was that a lot of the reviews I read said that they come up big so order a size smaller. I'm normally a size 5 but ordered a 4 hoping they will fit and they fit excellently. I just wish I'd found these sooner, goodbye to trainers and socks in the summer now!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people
H

Hooked

Hi, like you I live in trainers all throughout the year for many years now as I find it very difficult to find footwear that I can wear as I'm disabled with walking problems. With the warmer weather coming I wanted something else to wear as I'm fed up with socks and trainers. I saw the Sketchers shoes advert on TV and did quite a bit of research by reading reviews and asking on here about them. After a lot of humming and arghing wondering if I could walk in them, I brought a pair. They were delivered Wednesday and I wore them yesterday for the 1st time. They are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. They are very light and I can honestly say it doesn't feel like your wearing shoes. The soles are like a trainers but the uppers are similar to canvas. They come in all different styles and colours. Mine are the go walk 2. They are pricey but are well worth it for the comfort. The only thing I found was that a lot of the reviews I read said that they come up big so order a size smaller. I'm normally a size 5 but ordered a 4 hoping they will fit and they fit excellently. I just wish I'd found these sooner, goodbye to trainers and socks in the summer now!

Thanks for letting me know. I'm hoping to get back to walking in the coming weeks, and these sound perfect.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love Skechers but I notice the Decathlon are similar but cheaper. Have they got good support and padding? I have a problem with my instep on one foot. Schuh have a good range of pump type footwear that would look nice with long summery clothes or cropped trousers.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have some numbness in the tips of my toes and I'm waiting for my podiatry appointment. My feet still feel like blocks of ice at times. When driving I need the heating on but not too much as a realise I may not feel my feet burning!

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love Skechers but I notice the Decathlon are similar but cheaper. Have they got good support and padding? I have a problem with my instep on one foot. Schuh have a good range of pump type footwear that would look nice with long summery clothes or cropped trousers.

Yes, as Decathalon is basically a sport store, their shoes are pretty supportive. I have got some of these shoes from the last few years and I see they've added to the range again this year. They are light, but sole is still quite thick compared to many shoes. However they are low so no ankle support, but enclosed so no toe stubbing.
I have great foot problems and find these useful.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hooked - I am so glad you started this thread as I am seeing lots of options for me. I still love my Skechers, but it's nice to know there are other brands to choose from!

appleannie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
modern music
I get my summer shoes from cosyfeet they have many diabetic friendly styles also they do socks for diabetics.

markbarron99

I know what everyone would like to hear as the warmer weather arrives. Throw all restrictive clothing and shoes into the cupboard and skip through the fields.

Having neuropathy in your feet is a bit of a problem and at all costs you must protect them. I would add sandals and flip flops to the no no list since they are open and any undetected injury could be a big problem.

Some kind of flattie or new trainers sound good.

Just make sure that you do everything you can to avoid an injury and check your feet a lot.

These guys make diabetic footwear:
https://www.facebook.com/KenHallLtd/

scarborough

Type of diabetes
Type 2
These guys make diabetic footwear:
https://www.facebook.com/KenHallLtd/
I wear open shoes but closely watch where I waling such at work where places are safe. the cleaner clean and vacuum the carpets. I got some of scholl shoes with a wooden base there brilliant solid foot with a high base in a local clothes shop they attach security tag the pin they use for secure tags went though the bottom of my shoe and I have heard that by 3 other too. so beware in shops these giant size drawing pins.