Sunbeds and diabetes 1

Strachan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a sunbed today. First as type 1 diabetes. I felt terrible after, shaking, wobbly legs and pale. Does sunbed play havoc with your blood sugars? Should have read about this before I had sunbed!!!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a sunbed today. First as type 1 diabetes. I felt terrible after, shaking, wobbly legs and pale. Does sunbed play havoc with your blood sugars? Should have read about this before I had sunbed!!!

Hi,

Never done a sun bed. But I have done saunas. The heat can make one insulin sensitive.
The secret is to test blood more than usual. Play safe keep a close eye on the BS!

What was your meter showing as a result?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I've never had a sunbed session and never would.
Why I ask myself do people willingly age their skin?
Willingly get irradiated?
What's wrong with being pale skinned Northern Europeans?
Do brown people have whitening sessions I'm thinking now ....

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I had literally a couple of sunbed sessions many, many moons ago, but nothing for the last 20+years.

Thinking back, it was pretty warm under there, and lying on the bed made me perspire, although I imagine the stand up booths might be more comfortable.

It could be the heat impacting you. Quite a few T1 members report seasonal changes in their insulin needs, as the seasons become warmer or colder. If we have a heatwave, or mini-heatwave, and around the holiday season, lots post.

Hopefully, this will bump your thread up the lists again for others logging to.

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I'm T2 and use tanning cabs. I've never had my sugars affected as far as I know. I have had some rare headaches, but I get those in the sun too. Sunbeds are way safer now than ever - the regulations have changed and they have to be 0.3 compliant. http://www.sunbedassociation.org.uk/UV_Tanning/3.aspx

I'm not suggesting people should use them, it's personal choice like everything else, and tanning does age the skin, either naturally or artificially. I have friends that would never use a sunbed, but will happily lay out in the sun for hours.... Personally I'm not a sun lover, so 6 minutes in a cab suits me just fine - I do feel better for it and I use sunscreen just the same as if I were on outside in the sun.

Strachan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never had a sunbed session and never would.
Why I ask myself do people willingly age their skin?
Willingly get irradiated?
What's wrong with being pale skinned Northern Europeans?
Do brown people have whitening sessions I'm thinking now ....

Strachan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am only using sunbed a few times before I go abroad. I'm not a constant user.

Strachan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Never done a sun bed. But I have done saunas. The heat can make one insulin sensitive.
The secret is to test blood more than usual. Play safe keep a close eye on the BS!

What was your meter showing as a result?