1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Super bolus

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Eldorado, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Eldorado

Eldorado Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Can anyone explain what this is? I'm wondering if it's only suitable for T1's who use a pump.

2. librarising

librarising LADA · Well-Known Member

3. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes, it is only for pumpers. You turn your basal delivery off or down for a few hours and then you add the insulin lost from the basal on to the meal time bolus so all the insulin is working straight away to deal with a high carb meal, but, because you have turned basal off/down, you avoid a later hypo. It's a fairly high maintenance technique to be doing often, because there's maths and buttons to press to turn off and back on etc, but apparently it's popular with pregnant pumpers where the post prandial targets are much tighter.

4. Eldorado

Eldorado Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks. I came across a similar question in a Facebook group for Libre users that I belong to. I'd never heard of it but thought it might be for pumpers.

5. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

It's also a principle we use in OpenAPS to allow the system to deliver boluses for food in a safe way.

6. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Seems like madness to me.......at least for dealing with higher carb/higher fat meals.....there are options there already within the pump....without fiddling with the basal....

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook