Super Size Me

martinbuchan

I watched this for the first time tonight on C4. Very interesting. No mention of Transfats at all. The previous posting by <b>Ash</b> showed that the deep frying fat used in McD's is 25% shorteneing (transfats). It was interesting that the other guy who had 2 big macs a day and virtually never ate fries was healthy and had a normal choleeterol.

Unlike Morgan Spurlock, who had a variety of diabeticky symptoms and blood test abnormalities. His cholesterol was significantly raised (transfats). He has a fatty liver (linked to insulin resistance {related to transfats}).

This transfat thing may be more important than generally recognised.

Everyting in moderation eh?

Marty B

ash

Its been a while since I watched this program. I am amazed that they are still using shortening. Regardless of whether people believe the trans fat and insulin resistance link, it is now being widely recognised that trans fats are behind a wide range of health problems.

People go on about exposure to UV and the harm it poses to the body, but don't give a second thought to what they put inside their bodies every time they eat !

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Ash & Marty,

You might be interested in the extract below from the TFX website (Campaign Against Trans Fats). In 2006 McDonalds promised to reduce their use of trans fats throughout Europe to no more than 2% by 2008. 2008 has started and no announcement from them, but then they also made similar promises in 2004 and 2005. The soubriquet McJob came into common usage a while ago. Perhaps its time for a new one for the thousands who die each year from cardiovascular damage - McDeath. (or McSodthecustomersitsprofitsthatmatter)

"It is good to know that McDonalds halved the trans content from the astonishing level of 30% in 1998. However 15% is still a very high level of trans fat - high enough that a single portion of McDonalds Fries and Chicken McNuggets per day, containing an estimated 20g of frying oil, would deliver 6 grams of trans fat. This is enough to raise someone's risk of heart disease, like stroke or heart attack, by 25%.

It would be reassuring to know of McDonalds evaluation of lower trans frying media, were it not that these lower-trans frying media are widely available, and being used by McDonalds in other European countries including Denmark (where they are required to do so by law) and Germany.

And since, according to the Danish Nutrition Council, every gram of dietary trans fat does the same damage to cardiovascular health as 10 grams of saturated fat, it is well worth having a modest increase in saturated fat, in order to reduce trans fat."