Supermarkets Have No Low Carb

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
There is quite a lot of low carbohydrate convenience food; just not advertised with a "Low Carb" label.

As already mentioned, curries from M&S and Waitrose are generally low carbohydrate as long as you avoid the rice.

Pork sausages with over 90% pork are low carb; many are also gluten free. It just isn't highlighted in the label.

Cheese is low carb. Double cream is low carb. Strawberries are low carb. A lot of vegetables are low carb.

However these have always been low carb; I can see all sorts of problems trying to fill a low carb aisle at the supermarket.

Having said all that, it would be nice to have a traffic light label on all foods with green for under 10 grams of carbohydrate per 100 grams.

Sadie111

Wouldn't it be lovely to have a low carb sandwich to buy - maybe made with cloud bread, wouldn't it be great to have a small range of low carb biscuits made from nut flours - wouldn't it be great to have low carb ice-cream. Low carb meriques. Celery and chicken ready meals, low carb tomato and meatballs to pick up for handiness.
All those items I cook myself and freeze, but I love to cook, but so many people out there don't want to cook, so they choose the pizza or whatever. It frustrates me that I cannot buy some normal convenience foods that are devoid of sugar and flour. I can't help but think the market must be out there - I mean there's a huge gluten free market now.

Sadie111

I do not want you to take this the wrong way but it is almost as though you are saying that you want all the choices you've ever had before but with a convenient label of low carb. This, to me, is anathema as I deem things like convenience foods to be just as bad any other highly processed rubbish on offer. Convenience to me is not have to kill my own chicken and butcher it!

no no
I am not saying that. sounds like you just picked up on "ready meals"

Last edited:
Reactions: Guzzler

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I understand that, but by the same thoughts, why have a low-fat range then.
Suggest that all the low-fat customers make their stuff from scratch.

My point is that there should be a huge market out there for a wider range of low carb foods - not neccessarily highly proceesed foods, just a wider range that drop the flour in favour of nut flours or lose the refined sugar.
I am sure that the food producers/supermarkets are catching onto this as I have seen low carb noodles (made with fish protein) and ice cream ( called OPOP on a current thread at Sainsburys). As you say its a business opportunity even if low carb packaged food goes against the ethos of many choosing to eat natural low carb foods. I dread to think what franken foods they will come up with probably made with plenty of salt and vegetable oil or the dreaded 'no aded sugar' (= lots of starch and sweetners). Also don't forget that Diabetes UK got the manufacturers/retailers to not label anything Diabetic (not very tasty food with a laxative effect due to the sorbitol) and whilst there is still controversy at National Guide liines level about the merits of low carb/high fat this might inhibit development of such foods as will the cost of using low carb alternatives to thicken and flavour foods.

Reactions: flexi06 and Prem51

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am sure that the food producers/supermarkets are catching onto this as I have seen low carb noodles (made with fish protein) and ice cream ( called OPOP on a current thread at Sainsburys). As you say its a business opportunity even if low carb packaged food goes against the ethos of many choosing to eat natural low carb foods. I dread to think what franken foods they will come up with probably made with plenty of salt and vegetable oil or the dreaded 'no aded sugar' (= lots of starch and sweetners). Also don't forget that Diabetes UK got the manufacturers/retailers to not label anything Diabetic (not very tasty food with a laxative effect due to the sorbitol) and whilst there is still controversy at National Guide liines level about the merits of low carb/high fat this might inhibit development of such foods as will the cost of using low carb alternatives to thicken and flavour foods.
Typo sorry - the rather nice low carb ice cream is called OPPO and is curtently on offer at JS!

Reactions: flexi06

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wouldn't it be lovely to have a low carb sandwich to buy - maybe made with cloud bread, wouldn't it be great to have a small range of low carb biscuits made from nut flours - wouldn't it be great to have low carb ice-cream. Low carb meriques. Celery and chicken ready meals, low carb tomato and meatballs to pick up for handiness.
All those items I cook myself and freeze, but I love to cook, but so many people out there don't want to cook, so they choose the pizza or whatever. It frustrates me that I cannot buy some normal convenience foods that are devoid of sugar and flour. I can't help but think the market must be out there - I mean there's a huge gluten free market now.

The thing about a couple of points you make is that one man's low carb is another's carb-fest. Then, if someone sets their carb level at, say 90gr a day (only because the sums arre easy. :) ), does that mean they're going to have 30 gr per meal, or different proportions throughout the day.

Tesco, allegedly, do thin eggy, sort of omellette thing as a wrap in their sarnie range. I'm gluten-free, so dont do any flour products at all, but I understand rich tea or a digestive biscuit aren't many carbs each. Others may bemore familiar than I am on that.

Most supermarkets now do protein pots with hard boiled eggs or chicken in.

D

Deleted member 308541

I can't understand why supermarkets have no low-carb
Lot of low carb food in superrmarkets, you just have to read the nutrition labels on the back of the packet / bottle etc.
Yes, this is all true. However, there are aisles full of low carb foods - the vegetable aisles, dairy aisles, butchers and fish stalls to name some.
That's where good stuff is.
yes of course, but no sauces, no gravies, no ready meals, no low carb breads etc nothing specifically for low carb.
I get get low carb bread from where I shop, I do not buy gravy as I use pan juices. Sauces I can take them or leave them I do buy a hot peri peri sauce though.

Meals ready to eat I would not buy as I prefer to cook my own, as I then know what goes into them.

Lot's of low carb stuff if you look.

Mme1654

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Everywhere is fat free, or low sugar ( full of flour) or gluten free.
All sorts of ready meals for everyone except low carb.

Surely there is a huge market out there
Type low carb into Tesco or Asda online grocery and you get:
No products found for "low carb"
Asda have got new filter so when you are doing your online shop you can chose low or high carbs I find it saves me a lot of time

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180619-104632.png
    Screenshot_20180619-104632.png
    155.6 KB · Views: 561
Reactions: Prem51 and Jemz

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ISTR that someone posted a link to a low carb online store in the UK quite a while back, maybe try searching online.

Reactions: flexi06

jonbigboy7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only low carbs I’ve found is Morrisons Lc wholemeal bread as for convenience meals, I don’t I cook from scratch using fresh produce

Reactions: Prem51 and mo53

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
'isms'. Not being able to eat potatoes.
Yes, I understand that, but by the same thoughts, why have a low-fat range then.

My point is that there should be a huge market out there for a wider range of low carb foods - not neccessarily highly proceesed foods, just a wider range that drop the flour in favour of nut flours or lose the refined sugar.

Low fat high sugar = addictive and cheap.

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I agree with everything you've said. My local supermarket has NO full fat yogurt, every single yogurt on the whole Isle is low fat/fat free, therefore high carb.
Good luck

Reactions: flexi06 and Prem51

Down-Jai 001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I have found a low carb bread in S.J last week.

Down-Jai 001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Now there's a low carb bread on S.J available.
I bought it last week.

david0779

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
negativity and the rain
Morrisons do the lowest u have to buy the protein loaf tesco protein loaf if 9.9 and they all do hovis lower carb bread at 9.6
Half the carbs of a normal slice of bread
Aldi do a skyre high protein low carb mango or vanilla yogurt and on amazon
Carbzone do everything from low carb kam to tortillas worked for me
20180620_154707.jpg
20180620_154724.jpg

Reactions: Prem51

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@david0779 the lowest carb bread I have found so far have been hi-lo bread from Sainsbury’s 5g carb per slice and from Waitrose their Livlife bread which is 3.6g carb per slice.

david0779

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
negativity and the rain
Thats even better will have a look in sainburys never thought of them quit a distance from me
Have u tried carb zone the wraps are only 4g of carbs compared to 30g in normal wraps

david0779

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
negativity and the rain
I do agree with an earlier post theres no low carb section in the
Supermarkets or low carb shops that i know of may we should all sign a letter and email it to the supermarkets if they get enought demand a carb section would appear supply and demand

Reactions: tinka21