1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Supermarkets Have No Low Carb

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Sadie111, Jun 21, 2018.

1. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

Most supermarkets sell full fat Greek yoghurt. Thats the one to look for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

In Australian supermarkets, there's usually a "health food" section that covers gluten free, organic, protein powders, etc. - all packaged foods - and that's where all the nasty ingredient low carb stuff like Atkins bars are to be found.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I would need a section with a banner saying:

Low carb
    Veggie oil free
    Sugar free
    Chemical sugar free
    Free from preservatives, artificial colours
    Grain free and
    Free from olives and capers ('cos I don't like them). :D

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. lucylocket61

that would be the meat, dairy, veg and salad aisles then : )))))

• Like Like x 3
  5. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Oh Yeah!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Sadly, my local branch of Booths supermarket has stopped selling full fat yogurts. I used to buy my Fage Greek yogurt there, but now all there is are the reduced/zero fat varieties. I haven't asked why, but can only assume it is because the full fat ones weren't good sellers, and this is probably because of all the media attention on how low calorie low fat diets are healthy, and fat is bad. I know that "fat is bad" has been around a long time, but it is being touted much more these days.

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I agree with the original Poster. Of course there are lots of natural low carb foods but when you want convenience or even a treat (like any other normal person, diabetic or not), then where are the low carb brownies, etc (I don't mean boxed up, been on the shelf for a year options either), I mean freshly made. We all loved the low carb Aldi rolls didn't we? I know we can cook them up ourselves but there are times when you just want to buy some. I reckon if a low carb shop opened up it would make a fortune, fresh pastries/pies/pizzas, ALL made low carb. Yum. (I sound as if I don't care about healthy foods but I do, I just think if shops got on board with this, the health of many people would be improved).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. lucylocket61

I dont know about this. Look what happened with low fat foods - people thought that meant they could eat more of them, or that they didnt have calories in them or similar.

I am in favour of re-training our tastebuds, and getting away from the snacking culture, and back to occasional treats on special occasions.

its not just the carbs, is it, its the whole three meals a day, and snacks, and nibbles and treats way of life that has crept up and up over recent years.

When I hear young mums, for example, bemoaning that their child doesnt want its tea, and then I realise they have been snacking all day, even if its fruit or similar, I think to myself "have we forgotten how to feel hungry? How to experience appetite? How to enjoy anticipation?"

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Sorry but I have to disagree with you. The "treats" and "convenience" stuff is what got a lot of us here in the first place.
    Far better to cook from scratch using real foods that look like food. How long does it take to whip up an omelette? 5 minutes max what could be more convenient?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Sminkypinky_

Sminkypinky_ Type 2 · Member

I'm just doing the NHS-run Expert Diabetes course which advocates fasting and low carb diets. Diabetes management is being taught as watching your carbs - it is all about the carbs, not the sugars. We are being taught that it is OK to eat fats - butter, cold-pressed oils. Oh the times they are a changing

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank goodness. Certainly different from when I went on it. Update is due in October now.

• Like Like x 2
  12. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I do agree that it's better to cook from scratch and never have a treat or snack (especially if you know you are a person who doesn't know when to stop) but most people are not that perfect (I know I'm not) so when I don't want to whip up a batch of low carb brownies then it would be nice to be able to get a nice fresh one at the bakers. Sorry, at those times, an egg will NOT suffice! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. mo53

mo53 Type 2 · Expert

@KK123 I must admit that’s when I have a pot of pomegranate.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Sainsburys sell OPPO for £4 permanently, unlike other retailers where it's £4.99.
    When they do it on offer, as they did last month, it was £3. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I went on my 'education' course at the beginning of 2017 and was told to stick to good foods such as baked beans and baked potatoes. If there really is a change going on then I will soon be able to sit back and get on with my knitting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. barbherod

barbherod Type 2 · Member

Lidl took their protein rolls off the market in spite of general outcry and lots of email pleas. Unfortunately they did not want to listen as their decision was final. They said sales did not merit continuing!

• Like Like x 1
  17. dbr10

I never understood that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Nor me.

19. Sminkypinky_

Sminkypinky_ Type 2 · Member

We were told the course has been updated this year

• Like Like x 2
  20. dbr10

A bit disappointed to have course cancelled in March. Wanted to see how much it had improved.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook