Type 2 Supplemening Liver powder

Susser76

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Can we take Liver powder capsules when diabetic ? I have read conflicting answers when I googled it, so that's why I am asking you guys. I thought you might know :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can we take Liver powder capsules when diabetic ? I have read conflicting answers so that's why I am asking you guys. I thought you might know :)

Hi and welcome,

I always thought liver powder is a fish food?
I have never heard it mentioned on this forum, but stranger things have happened. :)
Is there any reason why you need it? Can't you eat real liver?
I imagine it all depends on what the ingredients are and whether stuff is added.

Reactions: Susser76

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Liver powder"? Tell me you're not buying it from some guy from the trunk of his car in a Walmart parking lot lol.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
No carbs so should not raise BS, a some B12 a lot of B6 too much B6 can be problematical some iron at least with real liver you would get some vitamin A.

Probably wouldn't do you much harm if you took it but that is just my opinion others may know better.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found this which made me laugh...

"NOW Beef Liver Powder provides a convenient way to obtain the health and nutritional benefits of liver without the inconvenience"

The inconvenience of what exactly .. eating?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love liver, had kind of forgotten about it since I started low carbing, liver and onions mmmmm! :hungry:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why have you forgotten about it? I have liver and bacon quite often.
I’ve just got stuck in a rut with tried and tested meals I suppose! My kids hate it so only ever did it when just hubby and I to feed, but it’s going straight on next weeks shopping list!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can we take Liver powder capsules when diabetic ? I have read conflicting answers when I googled it, so that's why I am asking you guys. I thought you might know :)
Sorry we seem to have derailed your thread slightly talking about the delights of liver and bacon.
Were you thinking of taking them for anaemia or something else medical i.e. as an iron supplement?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Liver eugh eugh and triple eugh! Vile stuff as is kidney :yuck: - loved the gravy made with liver though - and always cooked a kidney with my steak for steak pie - those days are past :(

D

Deleted member 308541

Can we take Liver powder capsules when diabetic ?
I remember Beecham's Liver pills being sold in the UK before 1970.

19th_Century_advertisement_for_Beecham%27s_Pills.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beecham's_Pills

Susser76

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I need to up my ferritin level and every iron supplement I take makes me so nauseous and then I was recommended to take beef liver capsules since I can't stand either the smell nor the taste of eatin liver. But I guess I have to try it and see whether it will raise my glocuse or not. Thanks you guys for your replies. I really appreciate it

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I used to make my own faggots with offal and my family love them. I shall have to dig out my old recipe book.
They would never eat liver or kidney but were unaware that faggots are made with both .... great winter food.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
These foods are also high in Iron

Shellfish. Shellfish is tasty and nutritious. ...
Spinach. Spinach provides many health benefits for very few calories. ...
Legumes. Legumes are loaded with nutrients. ...
Red Meat. ...
Pumpkin Seeds. ...
Quinoa. ...
Turkey.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I need to up my ferritin level and every iron supplement I take makes me so nauseous and then I was recommended to take beef liver capsules since I can't stand either the smell nor the taste of eatin liver. But I guess I have to try it and see whether it will raise my glocuse or not. Thanks you guys for your replies. I really appreciate it
My ferritin was to low to donate blood so I have been taking iron supplements .i wonder how save it is to eat liver as
It is a filter, but I am sure baby liver would be save.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat lambs liver, but it is advisable not to have it more than once a week because of the high vitamin A content.
This is what the NHS Choices website says

Good sources of iron
Good sources of iron include:

• liver (but avoid this during pregnancy)
  • meat
  • beans
  • nuts
  • dried fruit – such as dried apricots
  • wholegrains – such as brown rice
  • fortified breakfast cereals
  • soybean flour
  • most dark-green leafy vegetables – such as watercress and curly kale
Eat and drink less:
  • tea
  • coffee
  • milk and dairy
  • foods with high levels of phytic acid – such as wholegrain cereals, which can stop your body absorbing iron from other foods and pills
Large amounts of these foods and drinks make it harder for your body to absorb iron.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My husband likes liver and when we were first married I used to cook it for him but I used to put on rubber gloves cos I couldn't stand to touch it !!
CAROL:depressed: