Supplements

If_only

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The thought of vegetables day after day after day for all eternity
Has anyone had any experience with the following supplements and how did you get on?
- Berberine
- Alpha Lipoic Acid
- Chromium

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone had any experience with the following supplements and how did you get on?
- Berberine
- Alpha Lipoic Acid
- Chromium

yes :)

Berberine - no noticeable benefit, and since it is a herb not a standardised medical ‘drug’ I was deeply suspicious that the capsules I bought contained what they claimed to contain, and had the advertised active ingredients.

ALA - I used R-ALA since this is supposed to be the most beneficial form. No idea whether they were effective but my situation has not deteriorated while taking them and since. So impossible to claim any benefit.

Chromium - must have taken this in 10 separate bouts over the last 30 years. Again, never noticed the slightest benefit, although numerous people have encouraged me to take it over and over again...

On the other hand, my experiences with other supplements have been fab, since I seem to have malabsorption and supplements of B12, folate/folic acid, vit D3 and K2, and a few others have been very beneficial. So I value supplements, where needed, I just don’t think my body makes much use of Berberine, ALA and Chromium supplements.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I did Berberine, no noticeable effects. I also read it hinders muscle gains by down regulating MTOR, so I binned it. I take D3, fish oil, B complex, sometimes an extra B12. I also take Magnesium, zinc before bed

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chromium supplement only seems to benefit if there is already a deficiency but no effect once the deficiency has been corrected. Most industrialised nation diets are meeting the RDI through leafy greens and general food intake.

As Brunneria says, R-ALA is the more bio-valent form of ALA. ALA is available on scrip in Europe, esp Germany, but is ignored in the UK. It is an important nutrient which we can synthesize from common dietary components (vegetable seed oils), so is not regarded as Essential (technically that is) but supplementation may still be of benefit. According to MedicalNewsToday, "ALA is crucial for digestion, absorption, and the creation of energy. It helps enzymes turn nutrients into energy. It also has antioxidant properties. Since humans can only produce ALA in small amounts, many people turn to supplements to increase their intake.
"
I have used both myself, but have no experience of Berberine.

Taeholic_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
- Berberine
- Alpha Lipoic Acid
- Chromium
I've tried both Berberine and Chromium, neither of which appeared to have any effect on my BG. I tried them separately too but same result or should I say no result.

I take D3, B vitamin complex and fish oil.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have taken R-ALA (as opposed to ALA) for several years. I had mild neuropathy in my feet, induced by chemotherapy, and found it very beneficial for this. I haven't noticed any effect one way or the other as far as blood sugars are concerned. I don't take the others you mention. I have always been a bit of an anti-supplement person, believing they are unnecessary unless symptoms or blood tests show a deficiency, but since Covid I have been taking VitD3 and VitC "just in case" they help. I also now use a Magnesium spray a couple of times a week.

If_only

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The thought of vegetables day after day after day for all eternity
I have taken R-ALA (as opposed to ALA) for several years. I had mild neuropathy in my feet, induced by chemotherapy, and found it very beneficial for this. I haven't noticed any effect one way or the other as far as blood sugars are concerned. I don't take the others you mention. I have always been a bit of an anti-supplement person, believing they are unnecessary unless symptoms or blood tests show a deficiency, but since Covid I have been taking VitD3 and VitC "just in case" they help. I also now use a Magnesium spray a couple of times a week.
I have always been anti supplements too but vit C and Omegas are my main ones now as eating less fruit means I need to boost my C and also R-ALA though I can't tell if any of these have an impact or not.

Reactions: jjraak

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always been anti supplements too but vit C and Omegas are my main ones now as eating less fruit means I need to boost my C and also R-ALA though I can't tell if any of these have an impact or not.

I don't need Omega3. I eat enough of it on a daily basis. :)