Support for children of parents with type 1 diabetes

Solestar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, apathy and Cretinopathy (a term coined by lowcarbdibetic.co.uk) which is a common diabetes related condition where people who should know better (Healthcare professionals and Diabetes charities) advise diabetics to consume high carbohydrate/sugar food.
Hi

I've had type 1 for a long time and growing up, my daughter had to deal with various diabetic medical emergencies over the years. She's an adult now, so this issue really isn't something that affects us anymore but i'm in various diabetic groups on Facebook and i'm seeing this come up a fair bit. There seems to be a growing prevalence of people whose young children are experiencing stress and anxiety because they've seen their diabetic parent undergo some kind of medical trauma, such as a stroke, a serious hypo or amputation but there appears to be a serious lack of professional support for these children, or the parents who need strategies to be able to assuage their children's fears.

I've carried out an internet search and much to my surprise, I couldn't find anything at all relating to this subject! Does anyone know of any support groups or associations who deal with the issue of such support. I'd really like to be able to point some people in the right direction. Thank you.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I think that is a very good idea. I have never thought of that kind of support for my daughter. It's always been the two of us in the house, with limited family. My daughter has seen me, years ago in a few states with paramedics being called out and also I had an eye operation last year, and I had to go to a hospital in another town. Even though she appeared to have enjoyed being with a friend overnight and worrying about me miles away. she appears to have coped well, but who knows if it has affected her or not. What about trying to google about starting or joining a support group?? Good luck and all the best.

Reactions: 2 people

Solestar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, apathy and Cretinopathy (a term coined by lowcarbdibetic.co.uk) which is a common diabetes related condition where people who should know better (Healthcare professionals and Diabetes charities) advise diabetics to consume high carbohydrate/sugar food.
Thanks Robinredbreast. I replied to the mum in question with exactly that idea and she seems very keen to run with it.:)

Reactions: 4 people