support

dietfiz

hi everyone i was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last april. im doing ok my last hba1c was 5.7 and i have pretty good blood control . my consultant thinks i am in the honeymoon period but we will see how it goes. the problem than i am having is the reaction from my family. not my husband and sons who are great. but from my mother and siblings. i was really shocked when i found out i was diabetic but relieved too because i had a name for what it was it took a little while to adjust to checking my bg and injecting (it doesnt seem such a medical thing anymore)
but some days i get fed up with it just having to watch what i eat thinking about what i can eat and getting fed up with testing my blood. my mother never asks about my diabetes never visited me when i was in hospital. my sister said it should get better now i dont drink coke !!! and my brother said well its not like its a really serious thing like you have a disability or anything . which is true i suppose. but occasionally i would just like a little support instead they are making me feel that i am making a big deal out of nothing and that by testing as much as i do is not neccessary. i have explained to them about being diabetic about how it works and how much i have to test....
and the impact it can have on your life... what else can i do? i know this is their problem but it makes me feel that i am making a BIG deal out of nothing.
thanks for reading
dietfiz x

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi dietfiz.
Welcome to the forum. Have a good look around and ask any questions you wish.

Your question is one only the people involved can answer ? Their attitude towards your Diabetes is something you can only try to change over time. There will always be those who cannot grasp what is really a straightforward concept. You have Diabetes and you are having to do things differently.
It can certainly get better providing you do all the right things. However, there isn't a cure. Not yet, anyway.

As for support, this place is the best you will find. We try to support and advise all members.

Ken.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
People with asthma often say the same thing. Asthma is seen as something to do with wheezing and inhalers and it's not taken seriously. The fact that it kills sufferers in alarming numbers doesn't figure in some peoples awareness.

With a smile on your face and the best matter-of-fact voice you can muster, tell them what they have to do should you have a hypo and become unconscious. Drastic I know, and unlikely to happen with good control but you just never know.
Maybe a laminated sheet with step-by-step instructions? :twisted:
My old dad lost his balance bending over to pick his phone up, knocked himself out and the only thing that stopped him from dying was a liver dump which enabled him to call me. The 'blub, blub, blub' I recognised as his voice made me shoot round there, stuff him with glucose, bung him in the car and chuck him at the nearest A&E nurse I could find, which was all quicker than dialling 999. **** care when he got there, but that's another story.

wiflib

dietfiz

thanks sorry for going on i know that theres nothing i can do about their attitudes it just frustrates me !
thanks for the support i suppose its the old thing..as long as it doesnt happen to me then i dont have to deal with it ..

i am dealing fine with my diabetes struggled at first but my hba1c is fine no problems with bg control yet!
taking it one day at a time getting my weight under control and looking at making loads of positive changes

thanks everyone xx
dietfiz xxxxxx
the only down side is i miss cherry coke lol xxxx but i can live with that and things could be worse xxxxxxxx

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you're OK about using articifial sweetners you can get diet cherry coke. My OH drinks it all the time and hes not even diabetic. I hate it because its too sweet.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi dietfiz
Unfortunately some people can only see themselves.

issigonis59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi dietfiz

Just wanted to say I had difficulty with my mum when I was diagnosed (a long time ago). It was a shock to her and I think she just didn't want to accept it, so if she didn't ask or talk about it then it wasn't really happening. It was a bit like the grieving process some of us go through ourselves when diagnosed.

After time, she got used to the idea and as she learned more about it she has accepted it and is mostly understanding towards it, although she does get a bit stroppy with me when I go for a meal and want to weigh / measure out rice and anything with carbs ! She once said " Just eat it , it's not going to kill you " I responded, "well it might not today, but if I carry on like that for the rest of my life it's likely that it will !" It shocked her a bit and it's never been an issue since.

Carry on testing and checking and you will be fine, they will come to understand and accept in time.

Take care

Rachel x :wink:

dietfiz

thanks again everyone who replied i was having a i'm p***ed at being a diabetic and no one understands moment !!!!!!!
thanks again i feel much better now i have things in perspective......... :D