Survival plan if you run out of insulin

vespa

As the title say, is there a survival plan if you run out due to exceptional circumstances, I have heard of one guy who only had a weeks supply of insulin when he got trapped in a flood while visiting his relatives and one guy who became seriously ill when trapped in his car on the M6 during the last snowstorm.

If you are ever stuck, whats the best plan ? revert to a pre insulin diet as used before 1921 or is there a more scientific method ?

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Me and my partner often have this little chat, how do we survive an apocalypse if we run out of insulin, stranded somewhere etc... I guess really there is no short answer unless you start carrying a 'just incase rucksack' everywhere you go. My general rule is that if i'm going on a day out or overnight/a week somewhere I do pack a little extra and always have a fresh vial of insulin. But if I was stranded on the way to work or home all i'd have is the trusty bottle of lucozade and some sweets maybe...

iHs

I think there is a way for pump users to use the insulin inside the tube (about 15u) to use as a rescue in case the insulin inside the cartridge runs out....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Without insulin we will become very ill very quick. Out and about in the UK there's always a way of obtaining insulin through the NHS, it's always a good idea to keep a few months supply of insulin in the fridge and carry a spare cartridge around with you when away from home for the day.

AMBrennan

If you were trapped, you might be able to survive a bit longer by using all the insulin to cover basal needs (e.g. Small dose of Humalog every hour) as hyperglycemia from food is less immediately fatal.
After that, vigorous exercise might help if you haven't lost too many beta cells yet (since it makes the insulin you do have work harder).

vespa

Some interesting points raised, rationing out your insulin is one way of doing it, avoiding food that will raise your blood is another option.

I am surprised that there is no official guideline on this.

s230787

I love that Faith* has had the apocalypse discussion with her partner...we've discussed it too, although ours included zombies in the scenario too! :lol:

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
s230787 said:
I love that Faith* has had the apocalypse discussion with her partner...we've discussed it too, although ours included zombies in the scenario too! :lol:

Haha we've done the zombie one too, the other half loves everything and anything pertaining to zombies, films and TV series! Too sad isn't it :shock: