Suspect batch insulin

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ladies and gents.
Recently started a fresh batch of novorapid Penfill. Batch...GR7C337. Exp date. 12/2019.
Since starting this batch I've been struggling to keep numbers in range, constantly going high.
Changed to a new vial today ( same batch ) and decided to check effectiveness of insulin.
BS at 8.00 am 8.4. 6 units novorapid no food which on any other day would put me hypo within the hour only managed to drop me to 6.3.
Lunch, pre bolus for 40 min then 50g carbs. Usual ratio 1:10 but went 3:10 to further check. 2 hrs later upto 10 + and climbing.
Time to try and get a new batch sorted asap.
If anyone else got this batch be warned.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
At least you can blame the insulin, its the unexplained highs which are so frustrating - thanks for the post @therower

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for this, will check mine next time I'm in the kitchen xx

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that. Just checked and all good.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The coincidence in timing with the batch change is certainly pointing the finger at the novo, @therower , but I wonder whether it's worth considering basal too?

I had some serious doubts about a new lantus batch a couple of months ago

At first, I thought it was just a bad cold I had throwing things out, but after that went away, and despite raising basal from 14 to 18, was still needing large novo corrections between meals. Got progressively worse, changed vials within the batch, and then one night ended up with the screenshot below: relentless rise as soon as a 6u novo correction wore off, rinse and repeat. It's astonishing how much and how frequently novo is needed if basal is screwed.

Went round to the chemist, showed her the screenshot, got an emergency replacement without difficulty.

Screenshot_2018-01-13-15-32-51.png

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had Lantus seemingly stop working 1/2 way through the pen before, and I've had a parallel import Lantus that didn't work at all, that was sent back to Sanofi who decided it was due to the GlucoRX tips as they didn't recommend them, although the tips box says they fit Lantus Solostar.

It's annoying when it happens.