Suspect box of mios - a common problem?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So after years of pumping I tend to realise pretty quickly when strange highs are not due to illness etc and more to do with something wrong with the pump or pump bits. After three days of sudden rapid high BG (totally unlike me) that didn't respond well to pump bolus but reacted quickly to injections I was proved right. So I knew it was likely to be the mio (just started brand new box) or the reservoirs (just tried my first larger reservoir). I changed the set to make sure it wasn't just a very bad site but the high BG continued. Today I have changed the reservoir to a smaller one from another box and they've continued. So it appears very likely it's the mio and I will change to a set from a different batch and see what happens.

I haven't been on the 640g that long and so feel quite cross and unlucky to already have been given a bad batch. Out of interest have other 640g users has problem mio batches?

Also how are Medtronic when you tell them? Animas used to make me use every set "just in case one worked" which I found very annoying and a waste of NHS money. Hoping medtronic are better.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @MushyPeaBrain

Do you think it’s because the cannula is kinking or the set hasn’t inserted correctly or something else ?

Many others including myself have had issues with mios- I changed after about 3 months of frustration at getting high bg levels with set issues and getting a reaction to the plastic set so now use the sure t, never get issues with set changes however I do have site issues from time to time so bad location and once changed again it’s fine, it’s steel tip too which means I don’t get red lumps anymore, see if your Dsn can give you some sets, you will need to get them to approve this set before you can order from Medtronic so check it first in case you do need approval.

Reactions: MushyPeaBrain

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @MushyPeaBrain

Do you think it’s because the cannula is kinking or the set hasn’t inserted correctly or something else ?

Many others including myself have had issues with mios- I changed after about 3 months of frustration at getting high bg levels with set issues and getting a reaction to the plastic set so now use the sure t, never get issues with set changes however I do have site issues from time to time so bad location and once changed again it’s fine, it’s steel tip too which means I don’t get red lumps anymore, see if your Dsn can give you some sets, you will need to get them to approve this set before you can order from Medtronic so check it first in case you do need approval.

Technically it's the same set as I was on with Animas (Inset II) and I rarely had issues with that. However Medtronic delivery insist on a signature and if out will take to any old drop off point. I have complained my sets are not being stored correctly and have been thrown around due to this. The shops they use don't realise they are medical supplies. The sets don't look kinked when I remove them so I think it's a batch fault. I hope this isn't going to be a regular thing though as then I would have to consider another type of set!