Swapping green tea for metformin?

SouthernGeneral6512

Not too sure if I should try this been feeling very light headed since I started metformin ... and the slow release version has made no diference :sick:

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Have taken Metformin for years with no ill effects but understand that the common side effects can be metallic taste (I had this) and stomach upsets which generally clear as the body gets used to it. I think you are an experienced Diabetic so feel reluctant to suggest blood sugar levels causing you to feel light-headed. But I do feel able to suggest that you have your bp checked very regularly especially at such times. Being on medication for kidney damage I have had my first low pressure reading in my life and now experience your symptoms plus feeling faint if I get up from sitting too soon. Hope this helps.

Defren

I drink lots of green tea so I know it can help with BG, however I would speak with your GP before you come off your medication or try to self medicate. I take regular Metformin and green tea. It's a shame the SR has not helped, usually if the regular causes a problem the SR can take it's place, I wonder if there is an ingredient that you are sensitive to?

SouthernGeneral6512

Just not sure I am taking 9 pills a day most of them were started after my heart attack in April but the metformin was a month later and all the problems have been since then. I'm really disappointed because it has done a good job with my blood sugar but I just can't go on living like this.

It's a good point about my blood pressure, it's always been ok when tested but perhaps it is dropping too far?

Defren

Organic Green Chai tea

I hope no one minds if I take this thread on a slight tangent? As you will know if you read my superfoods thread about chia seeds, I am really raving about them, and have had a kilo of white chia seeds delivered today. Last week I saw what I thought was a chia tea, so I ordered it to try. Well... it wasn't chia tea, it was green chai tea :lol: It arrived Monday, but I didn't try it until last night. Now I am raving about that as well. Green chai tea is obviously green tea with cinnamon, spearmint, cardamom, ginger, cloves, black pepper, cinnamon extract (natural flavour) and ginger oil. It is sold by a company called Yogi tea and is organic. It is just the most amazing cuppa. The smell of the spices greets you when you remove the wrapping, and when you unwrap each tea bag the smell gets more intense. It has to be the most warming, soothing drinks ever. I have just ordered 120 tea bags from Amazon as there are only 15 in my wee box and I don't see them lasting.

Let me know what you think if anyone tries these. :D

Reactions: 2 people

Kris80

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think 'Green Tea' is so great ..... Yesterday I had more eating during my dinner and my BG spiked from 5.6 to 9.1. Then when I had 'Green Tea' and then I checked my BG after 45 mins....it went down to 7.1.

Do anyone know how many times we can drink Green tea being on medicine 'Metmorphin' ?