Sweet cravings anyone?

Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone else having dreadful sweet cravings? I fell off the wagon and ate a whole lardy cake at the weekend. I am on metformin 2000mg a day. T2 7 years age 57, Quite slim, gave up alcohol ten months ago, don't smoke. But enjoy my ecig vape :) when I crave sweet things I do go overboard! " Sugar free anything doesn't work! Down a couple of metformin afterwards, and a diet coke who am I kidding? What do you do to combat cravings? Sugar is becoming an addiction, or so it would seem! :(

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I never did have a sweet tooth but I loved savoury snacks which are just as bad. The craving gets lower and lower as time passes. When I had my 'wobbles' it was savoury junk I crammed none too feminine like into my gob until I almost choked. The thing is, it really taught me a lesson in that the stuff I was convinced was gorgeously delicious was just plain ol' scotch eggs and crisps etc nowt special. I don't crave it any more because carbs just arn't that tasty when it comes down to it. The fewer the wobbles the less you crave.

Reactions: Ixarix and Bri

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
I do sympathise and I am sure that most of us have our moments. If someone put a lardy cake in front of me I'd scarf it down as well! I try to think of cravings as coming from the "fat monster" in my liver, when it comes under threat of being metabolised it makes me want carbs to save itself and that helps me to resist. Generally, the less carbs I eat the less I think about bread, chocolate and indeed lardy cakes. However, sometimes the craving bites so hard I can't help myself. In that case, I just stop as soon as I can and carry on. Sorry fat monster visualisations is all I can offer in your fight against the dreaded sugar cravings!

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone else having dreadful sweet cravings? I fell off the wagon and ate a whole lardy cake at the weekend. I am on metformin 2000mg a day. T2 7 years age 57, Quite slim, gave up alcohol ten months ago, don't smoke. But enjoy my ecig vape :) when I crave sweet things I do go overboard! " Sugar free anything doesn't work! Down a couple of metformin afterwards, and a diet coke who am I kidding? What do you do to combat cravings? Sugar is becoming an addiction, or so it would seem! :(
I have always had a sweet tooth and even after almost 25 years on insulin I have never lost it. Sometimes you just have to give in but try perhaps Greek yogurt and sweeten it with stevia add a few berries and it does help, or go for a walk.

Reactions: Bri

TIANDB

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I am a sweet monster also.. I ( Not Diabetic ) try my hardest to limit myself to a set amount rather than never as that is just not in my genes.. Best luck Bri.

vicisaacs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I find after eating a savoury meal I have a craving for some chocolate.

I take insulin and worry after I give in to the cravings.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh my goodness yes!!!
I was dx in june, so still trying to get a grip on all this, but yes the cravings can be really hard to deal with in a polite, well behaved way that doesn't include mugging my grandson for his fish fingers and chips.

Mind you, I've only done that once. Maybe twice. And he is only 2 so I am sure the nightmares will stop soon.

So, completely understand your pain. No good ideas for you to try, in fact hoping to pick up some tips here myself.xx
Good luck.!!!

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I turn to berries, protein ice cream or sugar free jelly!

Although switching to lower carb has definitely reduced my cravings. I could easily have a small bit of cheese if a bit hungry, although now a lot less hungry than I used to be.

Reactions: Bri and TIANDB

Vidgren

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheese, nuts or meat. Im a sober sugaraddict since may this year. Im never going to eat sugar again. Never!

The longer i avoid it the easier it gets.

cocobee.2017

Love at first bite. Don't take the first bite. This is what I have to tell myself every time I am tempted. Sugar is definitely addictive. Takes a lot of mental strength. If I see cake in my house, I throw it to the birds. Out of sight out of mind.

Reactions: Bri and TIANDB

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Oddly, I don't have sweet cravings like I use to. My sweet of choice was fizzy drinks like coke, or ginger ale. Two, or three weeks ago things really went to pot, and I found myself in the hospital with very high blood sugar. I was newly diagnosed as diabetic, and was just starting medication. I spent a week in the hospital, and since than I haven't craved sweet fizzy drink. My craving for something salty like a bag of crisps, is a bit harder to deal with. But I'm trying really had to eat healthy so I stay out of the hospital.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oddly, I don't have sweet cravings like I use to. My sweet of choice was fizzy drinks like coke, or ginger ale. Two, or three weeks ago things really went to pot, and I found myself in the hospital with very high blood sugar. I was newly diagnosed as diabetic, and was just starting medication. I spent a week in the hospital, and since than I haven't craved sweet fizzy drink. My craving for something salty like a bag of crisps, is a bit harder to deal with. But I'm trying really had to eat healthy so I stay out of the hospital.

I have to agree with you about the salt. I have found the sweet things easier to stop, but I dream about chips with salt and vinegar. I have home made soup and put salt in it, which does help. But it is still difficult.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I have a very sweet tooth and it's all I eat.