Sweet potato fries

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And a lot of the ready made sweet potato fries come covered with a fine batter or dusted with flour, both of which add to the carbs. Always read the label!
Yes - ready made chips have a coating of emulsified starch. It stops the chips from sticking togerther in the packet. The same thing is done to cheese slices and beef burger patties, especially the frozen ones.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
My waking blood sugars are usually around 8 - 12 , last night I had quite a large portion of sweet potato fries with battered fish and peas and woke with a blood sugar of 4.9 , totally unexplainable !

DM123@

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My waking blood sugars are usually around 8 - 12 , last night I had quite a large portion of sweet potato fries with battered fish and peas and woke with a blood sugar of 4.9 , totally unexplainable !
And if you repeat that meal, would you get the same results I wonder?

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
I miss my potato chips so much
I have just bought a mini deep fat frier and just made my first deep fried sweet pot chips they were delicious
I haven't tested yet
Any guesses what my bg will be ?
Prize for the winner will be fame on this site
I found this potato substitute. Jicama , a kind of turnip. You can almost fool yourself it is potato, especially with sauce or gravy . You can boil them like potatoes, and then take the bits and fry them like chips. Google US food data for calories and carbs [ 100 g = 38 cal and net about 4 g carbs. ]

SurfB@staa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I miss my potato chips so much
I have just bought a mini deep fat frier and just made my first deep fried sweet pot chips they were delicious
I haven't tested yet
Any guesses what my bg will be ?
Prize for the winner will be fame on this site

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Halloumi fries are messy to make but good, and occasionally I make roast fries with Kohlrabi (boil first as they take longer to cook).
I used to enjoy making these occasionally for me , using hot oil in a normal pan, until husband took offense at the little bits that sometimes got stuck on bottom of the pan even though they obviously got cleaned off. He has some very weird or petty ideas sometimes about what I cook or eat. :hungry:o_O:banghead:

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Halloumi fries are messy to make but good, and occasionally I make roast fries with Kohlrabi (boil first as they take longer to cook).
Used to love halloumi but I get a headache if I eat it not worth it for me :arghh:

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
And if you repeat that meal, would you get the same results I wonder?
That was a lot of carbs for me so was expecting a high when I woke so can not explain why it was low , maybe I'll try the meal again sometime and see what happens .